Speculation: What do we do at/near the deadline if we are barely in or barely out of a playoff spot?

What do you with with our UFA's at the deadline if we are close to the playoffs?

• Total voters

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
As LL just said during his radio interview... The islanders are a team in transition.

With the futures or Lee, Eberle, and Nelson all unknown, it would be short sighted to give up any significant assets for a rental.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
As LL just said during his radio interview... The islanders are a team in transition.

With the futures or Lee, Eberle, and Nelson all unknown, it would be short sighted to give up any significant assets for a rental.

I'm so glad he's honest about it and I think it means we won't be seeing any rental type of deals at the deadline. Gotta say I'm happy about that and only want them to go after players with term.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I'm so glad he's honest about it and I think it means we won't be seeing any rental type of deals at the deadline. Gotta say I'm happy about that and only want them to go after players with term.
Agree. I think we may be in a position to be aggressive buyers at the deadline as early as next season.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I know that. If Eberle gets traded it would be in a totally different trade. He has nothing to do with getting Duchene
On the one hand I agree. However, in a way Eberle might have more value to a team like OTT than to a contending team. And he might be willing to sign an extension with OTT whereas most UFAs come 7/1 won't. His playoff history is less relevant there. He can get 1st line minutes and PP time there. And they can probably pay him maybe $5 mil a year for 3 years to fill a top line slot (which is cheap these days). Also, OTT doesn't want to tank this year - the opposite actually since COL has their pick. So if they deal a Duchene or Stone they might want some immediate help back (who they have at least a chance to extend) along with futures. So, I'd say it's unlikely, but not impossible.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Again, it really depends where we are and what the standings say in 6 weeks. All of you can keep saying we are not contenders and not in a position to make big deals until the cows come home. But if the Islanders are solidly in a playoff spot and within a few points of winning the division, then whose to say they would be in any better position next year? When you have a chance you go for it. If at the deadline, the Isles are a top 7-8 team in the league, and you can get a player or two that makes them a top 4-5 team in the league, you do it, even if it is a rental. We go through this every year on this board. Rentals/big deals can be made without giving up your top prospects. This is the only team's fans I have ever seen that believe to make a deal you have to give up Barzal or Pulock or Toews. You can trade draft picks, you can trade your third best prospect or fourth best prospect, etc. Show me one team that was in the top 10 in the league that made a big deadline deal and had to give up their first line center? Or top 2 dman? It doesnt happen. Only Islanders fans continuously worried about the future believe this. If we are a top 8 team in the league at the deadline and we have a chance to add Panarin or Stone or Duchene or Muzzin or Faulk and the cost is a first round pick, a second round pick or a second tier prospect, you do it. We do not need any more draft picks. We have enough young players and enough prospects.

Reactions: Finnislander

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
I would agree. Players end up bailing if the team isn't hungry to win. Barzel I'm sure had conversations with his agent on why JT left. You want to keep him long term winning will probably be required. Not winning a year or two before he's around 28. Going for the cup only, in a 30 team league is a bad idea. You kill the fanbase, new arenas don't get built, teams have to move, even if it's just Brooklyn, teams try gimicks due to not enough fans like fisherman jerseys, and most players put your team on no trade lists. Losing has alot of consequences.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Duchene is the guy we need but not at the deadline unless it's a massive underpayment. I'm not sure we could even afford to give us a 1st for a player who might only spend 20-30 games here. Other teams will easily beat what I would offer.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Relax man. I can conversely tell you that if you can't take criticism, don't post here.

Well since I made the f***ing thread I will be just fine posting in here.

I actually think this is a neat topic to discuss but think it could have been framed differently.

I agree that there will probably be 4 teams or so fighting for the last two spots. Let's say a week before the trade deadline the standings are like this:

WC1: Isles 88 points
WC2: MTL 87 points
9th: BUF 85 points
10th: CAR 83 points

In that scenario, I say no way do you sell.

However, if it looked like this:

WC1: MTL 88 points
WC2: BUF 87 points
9th: CAR 85 points
10th: Isles 84 points

Then you seriously consider selling. Three points in or three points out can be a HUGE difference. Even if there are "only" 4 teams in the race it is difficult to climb in the standings.

It's just not that simple in either case because not everything is created equal...

Remaining schedule (Strength of)
Head to head games (meaning are there two or three games left between lets say Buffalo and Montreal)
Remaining home to road games (possibly west coast trip)
Remaining games against those teams ahead of us
Major injuries to any of the teams ahead of us

I don't feel like getting into exact detail for each one but I hope you get the gist.

Now if we are in by 3 points and let's say Montreal and Buffalo add big pieces, does that change how we look at things?

I guess it's a little tougher to figure this all out at this particular time. I used 3 points for example, if you go down to "if we are in or out by 1 or 2 points" doesn't really make a world of difference if factors such as above have a bearing on it. I was just trying to use a number that would be very close in or out.

I would also like to point the "criticism aspect". I have no problem with criticism, I do have a problem with some (not saying you) who feel the need to criticize about a thread when they just chime in. It's easy to rip the OP when you (not you in general) never even create a topic. I personally feel it's closed minded to knock others for actually trying.

Last edited:

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Well since I made the ****ing thread I will be just fine posting in here.

It's just not that simple in either case because not everything is created equal...

Remaining schedule (Strength of)
Head to head games (meaning are there two or three games left between lets say Buffalo and Montreal)
Remaining home to road games (possibly west coast trip)
Remaining games against those teams ahead of us
Major injuries to any of the teams ahead of us

I don't feel like getting into exact detail for each one but I hope you get the gist.

Now if we are in by 3 points and let's say Montreal and Buffalo add big pieces, does that change how we look at things?

I guess it's a little tougher to figure this all out at this particular time. I used 3 points for example, if you go down to "if we are in or out by 1 or 2 points" doesn't really make a world of difference if factors such as above have a bearing on it. I was just trying to use a number that would be very close in or out.

I would also like to point the "criticism aspect". I have no problem with criticism, I do have a problem with some (not saying you) who feel the need to criticize about a thread when they just chime in. It's easy to rip the OP when you (not you in general) never even create a topic. I personally feel it's closed minded to knock others for actually trying.
Of course there are a lot of variables that have to be considered. We're discussing hypothetical situations here and your original post in this thread didn't talk about all the other factors - just where we are in the standings and what bearing that would have on trading or keeping our UFA's. I stand by my original point that being three points in can be a BIG difference vs being three points out.

If things look bleak (i.e. more than 3 or 4 points out and/or having to leapfrog several teams) I sell.
If we have a good/realistic shot at the playoffs I do not sell any UFA's and maybe look to add depth.
If we are one of the top teams in the conference (possibly within striking distance of top spot in division) I consider going after big fish for a cup run.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Everything that happens of a positive nature for this team this season (and there has been a lot of it so far) is a bonus as far as I am concerned so my only admonition to management - like they'll ever actually read it - would be don't sacrifice long term ultimate success for short term limited success in any way, shape or form. I can take whatever comes this season, good, bad or indifferent, so long as the future trajectory is Cup focused.

Reactions: danteipp

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Just going on a hunch:

They trade Eberle
Bring in a veteran depth C on an expiring contract
Lee/Nelson stay

If we really want to go for it I could see Eberle, Nelson, Pelech and a sweetener like Wotherspoon or Vande Sompel for Brodin and Staal. Solves the 2C issue (and maybe we can extend him for 2 years if we make a run) as well as setting our LD to be able to move Leddy over the summer. Cap wise it's pretty neutral. Sign Lee. Filp becomes a summer decision. Gives Minnesota time to decide what to do with Nelson and Eberle.

YoureMyBoyLou

Sep 20, 2007
New York, NY
If we really want to go for it I could see Eberle, Nelson, Pelech and a sweetener like Wotherspoon or Vande Sompel for Brodin and Staal. Solves the 2C issue (and maybe we can extend him for 2 years if we make a run) as well as setting our LD to be able to move Leddy over the summer. Cap wise it's pretty neutral. Sign Lee. Filp becomes a summer decision. Gives Minnesota time to decide what to do with Nelson and Eberle.

If Minnesota is selling, they are going to want futures and picks, not expiring contracts.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
That's a gross overpayment if not for the value in Brodin's contract length. I would do it, but without the sweetener. Brodin's numbers are not that great. I'd rather take a chance bringing up Koivula.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
That's a gross overpayment if not for the value in Brodin's contract length. I would do it, but without the sweetener. Brodin's numbers are not that great. I'd rather take a chance bringing up Koivula.

Brodin? Koivula?

How is Koivula an alternative to Brodin? Or even Staal for that matter?

He hasn't logged an NHL minute - that's a Garth Snow deadline move if I've ever seen one.

IMO what I see is the opportunity to improve the LD by upgrading Pelech to Brodin.

Leddy, Toews, Brodin is a respectable left side.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Brodin? Koivula?

How is Koivula an alternative to Brodin? Or even Staal for that matter?

He hasn't logged an NHL minute - that's a Garth Snow deadline move if I've ever seen one.

IMO what I see is the opportunity to improve the LD by upgrading Pelech to Brodin.

Leddy, Toews, Brodin is a respectable left side.
I'm not completely disagreeing with this, but our D has been fantastic as is. So if we trade Nelson at the deadline and bring up Koivula, I think it's a worthwhile endeavor. We're not winning the Cup this year, so why not see what Otto's got? And I don't want Staal.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
I'm not completely disagreeing with this, but our D has been fantastic as is. So if we trade Nelson at the deadline and bring up Koivula, I think it's a worthwhile endeavor. We're not winning the Cup this year, so why not see what Otto's got? And I don't want Staal.

Why would you trade a known veteran and bring up a completely unknown commodity to the NHL level during a playoff run? I don’t get it.

Reactions: Finnislander

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Why would you trade a known veteran and bring up a completely unknown commodity to the NHL level during a playoff run? I don’t get it.
Hey, if the Isles want to re-sign Nelson then so be it. But if they don't plan to, and I'm really on the fence with this, then trade him for solid picks/kids, and bring up Otto.

Believe me, this team has played great, but we're not Cup contenders yet, or even close, so if we get a solid set of picks and kids for Eberle and Nelson, I would be all for giving one or two of the high achieving Bridgeport kids a shot.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Hey, if the Isles want to re-sign Nelson then so be it. But if they don't plan to, and I'm really on the fence with this, then trade him for solid picks/kids, and bring up Otto.

Believe me, this team has played great, but we're not Cup contenders yet, or even close, so if we get a solid set of picks and kids for Eberle and Nelson, I would be all for giving one or two of the high achieving Bridgeport kids a shot.

I disagree. They are contenders in IMO

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
We end up keeping all of them. If one of them gets moved it would probably be Nelson, but even that I'd be surprised about.
I would expect Eberle,not Nelson,to be the forward moved out because the isles are so thin at center.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Lack of centre depth really hurts and moving (not-signing) Nelson is not a smart move (holycrap I can't believe I just typed this)

I think deadline deals are typically pointless, both in the assets we get back (Sebastian Collberg) and the expectations that go with that. Maybe it'll be different with Lamoriello instead of "the garth"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad