Speculation: What do we do at/near the deadline if we are barely in or barely out of a playoff spot?

What do you with with our UFA's at the deadline if we are close to the playoffs?

• Total voters

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
It's a week before the deadline and we are in the playoffs by let's say 3 points or out of the playoffs by lets say the same 3 points if Lee, Eberle, Nelson, Lehner, and Filppula are not signed?

At the moment I would say stay pat or add a player at that point, what's your thoughts?

I was thinking about this the other day and I was just looking and found this article now asking the same question.

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-rumors-january-6-2019/

The New York Islanders will be a team to watch as the NHL Trade Deadline approaches. They have a number high-profile talents on expiring contracts and it’s not likely they will keep them all. Jordan Eberle, Brock Nelson, Robin Lehner, Valtteri Filppula, and Anders Lee are all scheduled to become unrestricted free agents at the end of the year, and many if not all of them will be targets for other NHL franchises.

If the Islanders aren’t planning on re-signing any of their forwards, perhaps they would be moved for more assets like draft picks and prospects. Speculation is that there have been discussions with each of them on new contracts but it is not known where those discussions are at.
It is assumed the Islanders do not want to lose Lee, but a player like Eberle is not expected to be someone who stays with the club.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
If your out, you trade Lee. He's obviously asking for top dollar UFA prices, otherwise he'd be signed. Or maybe no price is good like tavares and he wants a change of scenery. Eberle and Nelson will both be missed ho sang is not eberle. Ho sang could play 80 games and get 8 goals with 30 asists. Ideally all the attempted signings and trades would of happened in August. Cause now to unload people looks bad especially to barzal. For all we know NHL playoffs may be what he lives for. If that's the case, they give up this year, and then are bad next year, does he do a second contract? Or hold out for a trade.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
I think they need to keep Lee, Filppula and Lehner.

Isles have $10M in cap space and at an interesting juncture in team history. Losing it's franchise player, watching a new one emerge, new (proper) arena on the horizon, 2 points out of first place in the metro - now is not the time to be frugal.

Of course Lou is scouring the league for potential players that fit. Don't just stand pat. Wish we could unload Ladd (very bad signing for the sake of a signing).

It'll be interesting to see what happens as we're not used to solid leadership in decades.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I think there's a big difference if you're in by 3 or out by 3. That's a six point difference which can take 10-12 games given the parity, loser point and amount of teams bunched up.

If the Isles are firmly in a playoff spot I keep all the UFA's and look to add depth for a run (but not parting with any top picks/prospects).

If they are 3 or more points out I think you seriously consider becoming a seller. Depending on the market...

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
We end up keeping all of them. If one of them gets moved it would probably be Nelson, but even that I'd be surprised about.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
I think there's a big difference if you're in by 3 or out by 3. That's a six point difference which can take 10-12 games given the parity, loser point and amount of teams bunched up.

If the Isles are firmly in a playoff spot I keep all the UFA's and look to add depth for a run (but not parting with any top picks/prospects).

If they are 3 or more points out I think you seriously consider becoming a seller. Depending on the market...

Well right now you are looking at 10 teams and 8 spots. I'm counting the following teams out (which doesn't mean that can't make a run).....

Devils
Rangers
Flyers
Panthers
Red Wings
Senators

So I think it will be the Islanders, Sabres, Canadiens, and Hurricanes for the last 2 spots and I just don't seeing us way behind either of the 3.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
So if we are in and add a player and Lee, Lehner, and Filppula leave everyone will be OK with this? I want to get this out of the way so I don't hear MMQB's telling me "Lou should have traded every UFA"

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
No quarterbacking here. If they are not signed by the deadline I move all 3. If I felt this team was a top team and could win a cup then I add and don’t trade anybody. They are not there yet that’s why I want a proper rebuild where we are competing most seasons for the cup.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
No quarterbacking here. If they are not signed by the deadline I move all 3. If I felt this team was a top team and could win a cup then I add and don’t trade anybody. They are not there yet that’s why I want a proper rebuild where we are competing most seasons for the cup.

We're not trading Lee and Lee's agent knows it. I suspect the Isles are offering 7 and Lee's agent is asking 8.5 or 9. Will probably settle around 8.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Assuming we are in a realistic shot of making the playoffs(ie 3 points or less) I would see what we can get for Eberle and Nelson, if somebody is willing to overpay take it, if all we are getting is like 2nd rounders and a b prospect pass. Now if we are out say 5 points take the best offer for both Nelson and Eberle

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
We're not trading Lee and Lee's agent knows it. I suspect the Isles are offering 7 and Lee's agent is asking 8.5 or 9. Will probably settle around 8.
It’s a hypothetical question. Ye I think Lee will sign as well but if he doesn’t sign then I would trade him. My stance has not changed on this over the years. Oh and yes I wanted to trade Judas as well while many posters here called me crazy.

Reactions: dood

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

His agent is insane if he thinks he should get $8.5M or $9M. You need to be a PPG winger for that type of money.

The Isles are probably in the $6M-ish range. JVR got 5 years at $7M, that's the comp to use for Lee.

Reactions: ndgolden

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
His agent is insane if he thinks he should get $8.5M or $9M. You need to be a PPG winger for that type of money.

The Isles are probably in the $6M-ish range. JVR got 5 years at $7M, that's the comp to use for Lee.

I highly doubt his agent is foolish enough to go near those numbers ,JVR and Kane are closest comps. Lou will absolutely trade Lee if a deal cannot be done, well before the deadline.

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009

This run recent run and record with really nothing added but a coaching change should also tell you savvy vets are crucial for the development of the new players.

CaperJay

Sep 27, 2016
Bruins fan coming in peace. I always taught of Eberle being a target for the bruins as a top 6 raw but it seems as if he isn't well liked around here has his play dropped that much and if he was too be traded what do you think it would take

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Bruins fan coming in peace. I always taught of Eberle being a target for the bruins as a top 6 raw but it seems as if he isn't well liked around here has his play dropped that much and if he was too be traded what do you think it would take

Ideally, a 1st. Maybe a 2nd + a decent center prospect.

Isles can also retain salary to help fit his contract if that is required.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
This run recent run and record with really nothing added but a coaching change should also tell you savvy vets are crucial for the development of the new players.
Yes but in the end it’s top end talent is what it takes to win a Cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad