Speculation: What do we do at/near the deadline if we are barely in or barely out of a playoff spot?

What do you with with our UFA's at the deadline if we are close to the playoffs?

• Total voters

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
If the Islanders are still battling for the top spot in the division and home ice in the playoffs, you should accept that there is not only no chance they are trading anyone for draft picks despite what all of you want, but they will also certainly be buyers.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
His agent is insane if he thinks he should get $8.5M or $9M. You need to be a PPG winger for that type of money.

The Isles are probably in the $6M-ish range. JVR got 5 years at $7M, that's the comp to use for Lee.

I didn't say they think they'd get it. Both sides posturing. We can't lose Tavares and Lee, so Lee will probably get an extra million.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
So if we are in and add a player and Lee, Lehner, and Filppula leave everyone will be OK with this? I want to get this out of the way so I don't hear MMQB's telling me "Lou should have traded every UFA"
If the team is firmly in a playoff spot, Lou will not sell. Can't believe this is even thread worthy.

Reactions: Finnislander

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I believe Anders Lee, Brock Nelson and Eberle will all be offered the Bailey special with maybe a slight bump in salary.

6 years and $5.5m-$6m per

Lights911

Dec 5, 2017
Long Island
I believe Anders Lee, Brock Nelson and Eberle will all be offered the Bailey special with maybe a slight bump in salary.

6 years and $5.5m-$6m per
The only one I’d pay is Lee and that’s because he is the captain, I’d like to get rid of Nelson but I have a feeling he’s coming back because the team won’t be able to get a better 2c

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
The only one I’d pay is Lee and that’s because he is the captain, I’d like to get rid of Nelson but I have a feeling he’s coming back because the team won’t be able to get a better 2c

I share that feeling, though I believe Eberle has become expendable because of the play of JHS and will ultimately be traded. Nelson is a tough call, Trotz seems to trust him but I wonder if he is viewed more as a 3C in his eyes. If they bring him back or not, I think they still need to upgrade that 2C.

Reactions: Lights911

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I share that feeling, though I believe Eberle has become expendable because of the play of JHS and will ultimately be traded. Nelson is a tough call, Trotz seems to trust him but I wonder if he is viewed more as a 3C in his eyes. If they bring him back or not, I think they still need to upgrade that 2C.

Eberle is a goner, I think everyone knows that by now. Hopefully he can score some goals and pump up his trade value. I'd be thrilled if we can get a 1st for him.

Lee is probably seeking the Kane and JVR contracts at $7M, I think the term is the more important factor here. Isles probably want 5, he wants 7, might settle on 6? 6 years at $6.5M is my guess. I would prefer 5 years at $7M, the little bump in pay for less term.

I'm inclined to deal Nelson, I think we can get a pretty good return. I just can't trust him to live up to a long term contract. Maybe 5 years at $5.25M to be our #2C until we find a better one and then he becomes an expensive #3C for the last 3 years. We might be able to deal him since that contract wouldn't be a complete albatross? I don't know.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
If they aren't signed...goodbye. I'm fine with signing all our impending UFA's on decent contracts, and I'm also fine with parting ways with ALL of them. I actually don't have an opinion other than let Lou do his thing and see where it goes. Trotz is the guy with all the skill.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Stay the course. If they distance themselves from the pack, I’d look to add. If they are within a few points (3-4) stay the course. If they fall beyond 5-6, sell.

Lee is my priority to re-sign, Nelson I’m not sure about, Ebs is not a Trotz/LL guy.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I would absolutely not trade Lee - I'd take my chances even if it means going to July 1. He's too important, much more-so than a 1st and a good prospect.

I don't think I'd re-up Nelson but I wouldn't trade him either if we're in a playoff spot. He's too important to the success of the team right now. We can look to upgrade in the summer.

Eberle is the one guy I'd be open to dealing but only if the coaching staff is sold on JHS producing the rest of this season.

The one thing I definitely wouldn't do is trade our 1st or any of our top prospects for a rental, even if we're on his "list". We're building something bigger than one season here. We have a great deal of young talent at the NHL level, in the system, a bunch of picks on the way, and we finally have the potential to be real players on the UFA market. Let's see what the boys can do this year. If someone with term who fits into our long-term plans comes along, great. If not, stay the course.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I think you gotta sign Lee before the deadline. They can’t lose another top line player/leader to UFA for nothing.

If you’ve made your best, most egregious offer to Lee’s camp and they turn it down, I would trade him.

If Eberle and Nelson are not signed by the deadline, they should be traded.

I’d keep Lehner, Filppula, and Kuhnhackl as I think all three could still have roles here next season depending on how the draft and July 1 goes.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
I'd trade Eberle but not necessarily for picks and prospects. If they can get a good roster player in return in a bigger deal, that is perhaps the best

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
At this point we are very much in the race and this may be a big window to steal a season, I would deal for a top 6 forward and keep everyone at this point, I would try to sign Lee, Lehner and Nelson, and less on Filppula and Eberle, but if there is a top 6 forward to be had you make a run at that player, if this team can win the division, they can find a path, but it will be one series and out if they were anything less than division winners,

Eberle trade that could work... Eberle to Calgary, Calgary prospects to Ottawa and Mark Stone to Islanders, that would be a logical type of trade where they can turn Eberle into a RW for Barzal and end up with Bailey on the Lee line and JHS with Filppula and Komarov....

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
I’m surprised enough people are interested in keeping Nelson. He is NOT a C on a SC-contending team, and I guarantee he’s looking for 2C salary. I’d love to package him for a d-man.

I’m on board with re-signing Lee to a Bailey-type contract, Fil to another one-year deal, and Lehner to a 2-3-year deal.

Bye Eberle, Nelson, and Kuhnackl.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
This run recent run and record with really nothing added but a coaching change should also tell you savvy vets are crucial for the development of the new players.
agreed, but my choice for savvy vets, are guys like Lee, Cizikas, Filppula, Boychuk, Komarov, not Eberle and Nelson.

ideally, LT trades Nelson and Eberle for an upgrade. maybe Panarin? then Bailey can switch to 2C. i can dream :)

Reactions: Far East Island

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I still wonder if Lou is set on Bobrovsky next year or if he's ready to sign Lehner to a two year extension.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
If the team is firmly in a playoff spot, Lou will not sell. Can't believe this is even thread worthy.

Maybe I should worded the thread title differently, however, this was more of a question of "what would you do". I figured you would have understood with the poll and and all, my bad.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Maybe I should worded the thread title differently, however, this was more of a question of "what would you do". I figured you would have understood with the poll and and all, my bad.
The poll is flawed. You can keep all UFA's and add some players. You can also trade some UFA's and add players. It's not either/or. Also, how realistic is it to trade everyone not signed? And as I mentioned above, 3 points in is very different than 3 points out.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
At this point, I'd be surprised if Eberle brings us back anything more than a projected low 2nd round pick. Considering we are looking to move him (and we are a playoff team at this point), why would another team value him so high?

Unless there are some significant injuries to a top contender which yields a big need for a middle 6 RW, I just don't see the demand for him.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I still wonder if Lou is set on Bobrovsky next year or if he's ready to sign Lehner to a two year extension.
At this point, do you think Lehner would agree to a 2 year deal? The guy is pretty much leading the league in sv %. We may have already missed the "extend at a discount" boat. With anything less than a 4 year deal, he may just prefer to see what happens 7/1.

We gave Greiss a 3 year deal when we extended him - can't see Lehner agreeing to anything less than that after he's hit (at least so far) on his "show me" deal.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
The poll is flawed. You can keep all UFA's and add some players. You can also trade some UFA's and add players. It's not either/or. Also, how realistic is it to trade everyone not signed? And as I mentioned above, 3 points in is very different than 3 points out.

I guess you missed where I wrote that there are probably 4 teams for 2 spots. Those teams would probably be Buffalo, Montreal, and Carolina. Even if we were 3 points out I don't see how with 20 games left it makes that big of a difference, but if you say so.

Also, if you don't like the poll or thread you can see your way out. Nobody here with a gun forcing you to reply.

Reactions: MJF

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
I think there are 2 angles to Brock. If we go out and get a #2C, do you keep him as a winger? I am not saying at a big bump in pay, but if Trotz can get effort out of him consistently. Which I know is a big if.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad