Salary Cap: What contract would you offer Lucic?

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
I really don't mind if it's a 6-6.5M cap hit, just please don't give him anything more than 4 years. Power forwards decline faster than finesse players and Lucic will be 28 next June.

TheBannermen

Aug 2, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Even if we move Greene, we can't keep Lucic unless one of two things happens:

1) the cap goes up about 4-5 mill
2) Brown is traded

Don't see either happening.

gnarls barkley

Mar 16, 2015
Chicago
he's a 1 year rental, don't see Kings giving him a new contract regardless of play. Guy wants north of 6m and we don't have the space to hand out giant contracts like that.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
The Lucic trade was dumb to begin with, signing him to what he's been reportedly asking is just insane. Dude deserves to be paid in tacos. I bet he's out of the league in five years unless he smartens his ass up and realizes he's overall an average player right now.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
The Lucic trade was dumb to begin with, signing him to what he's been reportedly asking is just insane. Dude deserves to be paid in tacos. I bet he's out of the league in five years unless he smartens his ass up and realizes he's overall an average player right now.

Lucic really isn't a $6M-$7M AAV player. Any GM that gives it to him is stupid.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Lucic really isn't a $6M-$7M AAV player. Any GM that gives it to him is stupid.

And there are plenty of stupid GMs out there, and some dolt will give him that contract.

I think at max Lucic should be worth $5.5M on a short term deal. It would be insane to sign him to any long term contract.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
$4 x 4 would make sense if he's still a 40-45 point guy this season, but someone will give him $6 x 5 in UFA.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
In the new salary structure of the NHL with Kopitar making 10M, I could see Lucic at 6-7M. :naughty:

DSuttersface

Dec 28, 2014
SoCal
Don't worry I broke down and made a spread sheet a while ago.

No one is really missing Greene right now even with McBain in. Parting with Greene will be painful for Lombardi, but if he slows down any more it may happen. I don't think he'll be re-upped when his contract runs out in 2 years after this season. It wouldn't be a massive stretch to think Greene could be replaced a little before that contract runs out.

http://www.generalfanager.com/teams/los-angeles-kings

General fanager is pretty decent replacement for Capgeek. RIP Capgeek, we miss you...:clap:

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Anyone do any math recently?

Kings have 1.5 in cap space now.

Lewis and Ehrhoff come off the books next year....that's another 3 million added to the 1.5.

So Kings essentially have 4.5 million to add onto Kopitar's existing 6.8 million and Lucic's 3.25? We are screwed.

We also need another D man.

Mike Carr

Jul 19, 2012
Anyone do any math recently?

Kings have 1.5 in cap space now.

Lewis and Ehrhoff come off the books next year....that's another 3 million added to the 1.5.

So Kings essentially have 4.5 million to add onto Kopitar's existing 6.8 million and Lucic's 3.25? We are screwed.

We also need another D man.

correct - we resign Kopi and we reach the cap by signing Mcnabb, Ehroff , Lewis , Enroth , Weal , Forbert (or replacement players on similar low salaries)
that means Looch contract is gone and we only have minimum salary to get a replacement (I.E Merch)

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
The Kings can trade Matt Greene to someone for a late round pick, just based on him being a two time cup winner. His replacement will be a rookie on an ELC making 600-900k.

Clifford can be traded and replaced by someone also on an ELC making 600-900k.

Brown would draw interest if the Kings retained some of the cap hit.

Martinez could always be traded. Would prob sting the most but if it means keeping Kopitar and having money to re-sign TT you do it.

Clifford and Greene have a $4.1m cap hit, they are a luxury in their roles, they can easily be replaced on the roster by Forbert and Mersch and having a cap savings of $2.5m

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
$4 x 4 would make sense if he's still a 40-45 point guy this season, but someone will give him $6 x 5 in UFA.

idk about this....the reluctance of Yzerman and Deano to sign Stamkos/Kopi to big $$$ contracts is indicative of GMs being wary of the cap (IMO at least). I dont think Looch will net that AAV on his next deal. of course there are some silly GMs out there, but I dont think itll happen

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Good points above.

If the Kings plan on keeping Lucic, Clifford is a luxury, as much as I love him. Andreoff is emerging as a solid 4th liner and Nolan is cheaper and a RW. Clifford plays a position that will be log jammed when King comes back and Mersh is ready.

Also, no point in paying Muzzin and Martinez each 4 million when Doughty makes a ton of money. You don't need 15 million is 3 D.

Mike Carr

Jul 19, 2012
Good points above.

If the Kings plan on keeping Lucic, Clifford is a luxury, as much as I love him. Andreoff is emerging as a solid 4th liner and Nolan is cheaper and a RW. Clifford plays a position that will be log jammed when King comes back and Mersh is ready.

Also, no point in paying Muzzin and Martinez each 4 million when Doughty makes a ton of money. You don't need 15 million is 3 D.

I think the kings are high on Martinez and Muzzin - I do think there is a good chance we trade a package of players like Greene , Weal , Clifford (for what I am not sure)
if we did trade Martinez I have to think it is for a stud defender coming back - cannot imagine we weaken the defence from how it stands

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Lucic is starting to look like the kind of player you make space to keep. He's comfortable and confident now, and he's a beast. If he keeps it up he's the protoypical King.

He's not going for under 6 methinks, that's what he makes now. If he continues as he is, and the Kings can get him for 6.5, I jump on it and make room. Replace Cliffy with Mersch and go with Forbort in place of Ehrhoff. Bring up Bartosak to backup. It might take some nickle-dime stuff, but it can be done.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
idk about this....the reluctance of Yzerman and Deano to sign Stamkos/Kopi to big $$$ contracts is indicative of GMs being wary of the cap (IMO at least). I dont think Looch will net that AAV on his next deal. of course there are some silly GMs out there, but I dont think itll happen

If Matt Moulson can get $5 mill per Lucic can get $6 mill per. I agree it could be a touch high but if the cap goes up at all its certainly possible.

Captain Mittens*

Never underestimate stupid. Several teams would see him as the missing piece.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
If Matt Moulson can get $5 mill per Lucic can get $6 mill per. I agree it could be a touch high but if the cap goes up at all its certainly possible.

That's just it. Moulson can't get $5M AAV on a contending team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad