Salary Cap: What contract would you offer Lucic?

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
Its obviously early in the season , but DL's got to be thinking about it.

In Lombardi's shoes, what contract would you offer lucic if he scores (or is on pace for) say 40- 50pts by the end of the season?

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I wouldn't offer him one until the season is over. I'd assess how he played overall, what the team achieved, and how big of a role he played in their success.

Same applies to Kopitar.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
I wouldn't offer him one until the season is over. I'd assess how he played overall, what the team achieved, and how big of a role he played in their success.

Same applies to Kopitar.

That heightens the risk of them getting their head turned by another team, they might think **** it i'll wait till free agency to see whats on the table.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I personally think he's gone either way. Hopefully the Kings win a Cup. If they do that, I don't really care what happens. Kings just unloaded a disastrous contract. No need to add more.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
I personally think he's gone either way. Hopefully the Kings win a Cup. If they do that, I don't really care what happens. Kings just unloaded a disastrous contract. No need to add more.

What would you consider to be a disastrous contract then? (Ie what would be your max offer) People tend to focus on the Richards contract but not the Carter one, not all players crash and burn in their late twenties /early thirties.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I wouldn't give Lucic a contract because we already have a Lucic in Brown. I also think Brown is a better player.

Something like 4x4 would interest me. He can get a max deal from the Canucks (which would be disastrous).

Carter is a very smart player that can read the game extremely well. He doesn't rely on physicality as a large part of his game.

Last edited:

TheSentinel

Mar 4, 2013
WhereTheKingsReign
I wouldn't give Lucic a contract because we already have a Lucic in Brown. I also think Brown is a better player.

Something like 4x4 would interest me. He can get a max deal from the Canucks (which would be disastrous).

Carter is a very smart player that can read the game extremely well. He doesn't rely on physicality as a large part of his game.

Carter is the Mob boss, Lucic the Muscle, TT the Hired gun/sniper

Ron*

Going to have to disagree RP...what Brown has shown me so far this season is that his summer workouts have definitely given him more energy and more zip and his game has definitely picked up, but he is too damn hyper in front of the net and he doesn't get good shots off. He needs to settle down some and get a good shot with that front-net presence.

Lucic is playing very well as of late, except for that fact that his inability to clear the puck properly in the defensive zone is getting under my nerves. He almost cost us a point tonight.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
Lucic is playing very well as of late, except for that fact that his inability to clear the puck properly in the defensive zone is getting under my nerves. He almost cost us a point tonight.

Glad I'm not the only one. iirc, he did the same thing in the carolina game near the blue line. He tends to try and hold on to the puck to make a play instead of just getting it out.

rajuabju

The One & Only
Dec 30, 2006
Los Angeles
I dont see how we afford Lucic.

Kopitar is going to get $8M+ year.

We'll have to give small raises to RFA's such as McNabb, Forbort, Weal.

I just dont see where the money comes to sign Lucic. He's not going to take a Gaborik type deal.

One "option" might be if we trade Martinez.... but then we just have another hole to fill.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Let him move on.

Bring Mersch up, replace his minutes and production(or at least try) at a fraction of the cost.

Last edited:

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
With Mersch and Kempe on the way. I'd let him walk. Move him at the deadline if they are out of the playoffs.

Problem is that someone will offer him a lucrative contract. Need to shed salary somewhere to retain him.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Kopi's going to get paid, and Toffoli will cash in next year. There is no money for Lucic, and for what he brings I wouldn't want to pay him what he's going to demand anyways.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I don't see any scenario in which Lucic is a King next year. There just isn't any money to give him. Add in the fact that Mersch and Kempe are knocking on the door and are going to be much cheaper options.

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
I would give him $6.85, but for ONLY four years. Then, at the end of the 2nd year (June 2018), I'd trade him at the draft for a 1st round pick and prospects. This assumes the Kings have won Cups in 2016, 2017, and 2018 ....... Am I being too optimistic? :P

Ron*

I don't see any scenario in which Lucic is a King next year. There just isn't any money to give him. Add in the fact that Mersch and Kempe are knocking on the door and are going to be much cheaper options.

Without the experience. And the chemistry he brings that second line.

This isn't like buying eggs in a supermarket. A rookie can't replace a player the calibre of Lucic.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Without the experience. And the chemistry he brings that second line.

This isn't like buying eggs in a supermarket. A rookie can't replace a player the calibre of Lucic.

When Kopitar get his extension, where will the team get the money for Lucic? It's not an ideal scenario, but we may not have a choice in the matter.

Ron*

When Kopitar get his extension, where will the team get the money for Lucic? It's not an ideal scenario, but we may not have a choice in the matter.

Clearly we don't have the money.

I'm just pointing out that moving players up to the big club and thinking that these newbies are just going to replace Lucic's established ability and experience like we aren't going to miss him at all next season isn't really a vein of thought that makes much sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad