Post-Game Talk: Whale

3 stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
Couple of observations, the second power play unit is to easy to play against, they don’t shoot and just try to look pretty, I certainly don’t understand the logic behind just cycling and not shooting the puck.
next item is how much Chytil has regressed. Wasn’t my favorite player ever and still not.
still think he stinks. Sorry but that’s just one man’s opinion. Wouldn’t mind seeing him gone
They play the powerplay like it's 5 on 5.

It's the byproduct of those players not having received much coaching specifically about the PP through the last 2 regimes.

Hopefully that starts to change sometime.

Still want to see Laf or Kakko on PP1 instead of Trocheck, and Trocheck netfront on PP2 and taking draws.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
No ones happier than me that we won because I had fat money on the Rangers tonight, but we're destined to get bounced again in the first round if Drury doesn't change this roster. We simply can not score goals 5 on 5 and it's a problem. We were gifted a non call in OT that led to a 3 on 1 and we cashed but this game shouldn't have even been close. DeSmith in net and VAN on the end of a B2B this should have never even made it to OT.

Kreider has been pissing me off for a while now. All he wants to do is stand in front of the net on the PP and score tip goals. He's a complete non-factor at even strength. It's only frustrating because he could be so much better he just blatantly chooses not to be.

Zibanejad has also been ass 5 on 5 dating back to early last year. He usually starts slow but dude needs to start creating at EV.

Fire Goodrow into the sun. Retain half his salary, buy him out, whatever you need to do. He skates at an AHL level.

And don't get me started on Trocheck. I disliked the signing when it happened but I understood it because they wanted a better face off guy but he has the IQ of a sack of diapers. We have them pinned in their end for the first time since the stone age and he somehow takes an offensive penalty. His game just doesn't vibe with the rest of the team, it's been a bad fit from the start

Igor needs to be better. Gotta pick up one of those shots from the point, we can't block every single point shot.

Bonino still has a lot left in the tank. Scoffed at the signing over bringing Motte back but he was excellent in the role tonight

Blake Wheeler is cooked but who cares for 800k

Take the gift wrapped 2 points and move on but we're destined for the same fate as last year if Drury doesn't get to work adding more speed to this lineup

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
That's because this is a win that was gift wrapped on a silver platter to us and we can't generate anything when there are 5 skaters from our team and 5 skaters from the other team on the ice at the same time

The only reason this game was in OT to begin with was that Chytil got a penalty that you might see once a season.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
The only reason this game was in OT to begin with was that Chytil got a penalty that you might see once a season.

If only there were a way to deny the opposition a powerplay goal with a goalie that has the highest post ELC contract in history at his respective position

..or if only there were a way we could score a goal 5 on 5 so we don't need to utilize abhorrent officiating in OT

Yeah, that is not the only reason the game went to OT

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
If only there were a way to deny the opposition a powerplay goal with a goalie that has the highest post ELC contract in history at his respective position

..or if only there were a way we could score a goal 5 on 5 so we don't need to utilize abhorrent officiating in OT

Yeah, that is not the only reason the game went to OT

The officiating was not abhorrent. Petersson skated into Kreider. And you're shitting on Shesterkin considering what he did in OT?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Why are Rangers fans who going into this game have had some of the best defensive metrics in the league miserable over a win while Devils fans that look like a slightly better version of this year's Oilers not when they win?

Reactions: UnSandvich

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
That's because this is a win that was gift wrapped on a silver platter to us and we can't generate anything when there are 5 skaters from our team and 5 skaters from the other team on the ice at the same time
This team the night before shutout St Louis 5 zip. We took all that they could throw at us, and came out on top. "Gift Wrapped" "Silver Platter",... these things aren't possible unless we are competitive and making a game of it.

And these Canucks don't resemble the winless San Jose Sharks.

Last edited:

Row I Goon

Nov 14, 2018
But seriously, my wife is a Canucks die-hard who knows more about hockey than the dumb Aussie she married and had this game penciled in as a Vancouver win. Even in OT she thought they’d put us away.

I’ll take the result and move on.

(Typing this from the sofa as I’ve been banished from the conjugal bed for the rest of the week).

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Yes this was a wild one and quite out of the ordinary. But let's not lose sight of what happened here. We overcame a deficit late (11 minutes left) in the 3rd period.

This wasn't something I was sure could happen. We play very well with a lead. And that is very different from trying to play catch up with time running short. Penalties and powerplays are a part of the game,... and so I won't say we were fortunate the special teams came through. We showed perseverance tonight that I haven't really seen this year.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Won one they probably shouldn’t have which is fine

Goodrow is ass, my god. Three more years on that deal after this one, it’s gonna be impossible to get rid of him.

Third line also looks stale

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
These road trips are always really difficult. It’s good to see them get some find ways to win while shaking off the off season rust and not playing their best hockey.

JaeTM

Dec 3, 2009
Long Island
Kreider has been pissing me off for a while now. All he wants to do is stand in front of the net on the PP and score tip goals. He's a complete non-factor at even strength. It's only frustrating because he could be so much better he just blatantly chooses not to be.

Zibanejad has also been ass 5 on 5 dating back to early last year. He usually starts slow but dude needs to start creating at EV.
Couldn’t agree more. Been saying this for a while now and believe it’s one of the main factors for our 5v5 struggles. It’s possible that they’re tired 5v5 since they both play PP1 and PK1. I don’t think many players do that.

A lot of people have said good things about that line but I just don’t like Zib/Kreider together.

Disagree about Wheeler. He had a fantastic game against Edmonton. He’s slow, but a big body and can still shoot. I think he’ll pick it up as the season progresses.

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
Trocheck
21:11
6:38 PP

Austin Matthews
21:50
4:48 PP

M. Tkachuk
18:24

Jack Hughes
22:05
6:13 PP

Draisaitl
21:16

Kucherov
15:38

Larkin
20:06
3:46 PP

Pasternak
20:25
5:16 PP

Most recent games for some of the league's best players compared to Trocheck's overuse.

This guy is playing minutes like he's one of the best players in the league. That PP time is disgusting. And with all that time he's got 1 goal and 2 PP assists. He has 1 EV point.

The team is winning despite it. But this is the most gross overuse of a player with limited abilities I think I've ever seen in a Rangers uniform. Faceoffs, that's the only reason.

The other players getting that usage are top players in the league, some top players of their generations. League leaders in goals and points on an yearly basis. Trocheck isn't even in the top 100 in the league in points this season and he's being force-fed minutes like he's on-fire racking up points left and right.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I only watched up until the SHG Vancouver scored. I was too tired and called it quits.

Anyway, till that point, I thought the game was 50/50. We had some bad moments, lots of scrambling. So did Vancouver. I thought the game was kind of ugly in that respect. The constant penalties made it difficult to establish any kind of real rhythm. Some of the penalties were stupid.

Based on the 50 minutes I watched, seemed like a point was fair for both teams. I can't speak to OT, though.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
rangers need to be better. they’ve got some really bad habits and have been getting pinned in their zone way more than I’d like. they have only two functional lines 5v5. its infuriating to watch
Remember, new coach, May struggle at first? Long road trip, let’s hope for a split?

Yes they can improve things. But they’re picking up points while learning the system. Lavy isn’t changing lines like a fan with ADD. Long western trip and they’re 4-0.

Take the good, work on the bad. Points are points. Why be miserable?

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
it was so insanely blatant. because the doofus trips on nothing he falls near the puck. but he flings the puck towards the neutral zone trying to clear it with no one around but the ref. the ref is staring at him as he tries to move the puck from the ground. you can’t grab the puck and try and move it like that. it’ll get called every time. this wasn’t a scrum situation where no one can see who’s who and what’s what.

it never gets called because no one is dumb enough to try that with no one else near the puck.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia

But it’s a W and Igor’s gonna Igor so just be happy they scored big PP goals when needed

Get Back to their game the next one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad