Not open for further replies.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Owen Wilson said:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=118395

I think Roenick made a big mistake by saying this "We're trying to put some money into guys' pockets,"

Had he said "We're trying to do somthing for the fans", I could see it taking off, but not with the above comment.

I agree. It's a critical mistake to pay the players beyond expenses. A charity game for the cancer society or something I would have no problem attending but when the charity case is NHL players I don't think so. Reminds me of the This hour has 22 minutes skit about adopting a NHL hockey player struggling to make his SUV payments and resort holiday bills.

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
tantalum said:
I agree. It's a critical mistake to pay the players beyond expenses. A charity game for the cancer society or something I would have no problem attending but when the charity case is NHL players I don't think so. Reminds me of the This hour has 22 minutes skit about adopting a NHL hockey player struggling to make his SUV payments and resort holiday bills.
What is it they say about those who forget the past?...

Oh yeah, those who forget the past are going to have to turn their player benefit game into a charity benefit game just like they did back in 1994....

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
thanks JR, I knew it was always about money....

your willing to play in the WHA for less than you would in the NHL...hmm, no one said these players had to go to college!!

thanks, but no thanks.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Does the garbage man say...I clean up the trash to make everyone happy there streets dont smell of crap" No he saids he cleans up the trash to get his paycheck. Does the deli worker say..I do my job because I love to see the happy faces on the customers faces when they walk out with some meat? No..they do there job for the paycheck(though im sure people do there jobs for reasons like that...example a Police officer). You people find any little thing and jump down the players throat...funny how you didnt mention this line: " "People are dying to see some hockey in Canada." Right there hes talking about the fans..but you left that out. If your going to post something post ALL the facts not just the ones you want people to read. And BTW..even if he didnt say we want to put money back into the players and said..."We are doing this just for the fans...you would have jumped down his throat and said..BS! BS!" What a liar!...but when he tells the truth you still yell and scream. So sad.

Owen Wilson

Feb 21, 2003
Hamilton, Ontario
Visit site
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Does the garbage man say...I clean up the trash to make everyone happy there streets dont smell of crap" No he saids he cleans up the trash to get his paycheck. Does the deli worker say..I do my job because I love to see the happy faces on the customers faces when they walk out with some meat? No..they do there job for the paycheck(though im sure people do there jobs for reasons like that...example a Police officer). You people find any little thing and jump down the players throat...funny how you didnt mention this line: " "People are dying to see some hockey in Canada." Right there hes talking about the fans..but you left that out. If your going to post something post ALL the facts not just the ones you want people to read. And BTW..even if he didnt say we want to put money back into the players and said..."We are doing this just for the fans...you would have jumped down his throat and said..BS! BS!" What a liar!...but when he tells the truth you still yell and scream. So sad.
So it makes sense to you that they'll play in the WHA for less money than in the NHL??

This is where my problem lies, I know its all about money, always has been, always will. Its the fact that the players are refusing to accept an offer where the average annual salary is 1.3 million dollars a year, but yet are willing to go and play either overseas, in independent leagues in NA with salary caps, start up a whole other league where the players will be capped.

Their hypocrisy is unbelievable.

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
Owen Wilson said:
This is where my problem lies, I know its all about money, always has been, always will. Its the fact that the players are refusing to accept an offer where the average annual salary is 1.3 million dollars a year, but yet are willing to go and play either overseas, in independent leagues in NA with salary caps, start up a whole other league where the players will be capped.

So you say you know it's all about the money. But then the players will go play for less. Did it ever occur to you that maybe it's not all about the money? (For the players at least.)

Mighty Duck

Jul 6, 2003
Visit site
I am having a hard time typing, as I am laughing so hard, as the whole hockey thing has become a huge joke. All fans seem to be doing is looking to point he finger at someone, to lay blame. This sort of thing has become an everyday thing in life, as labour and management have confrontations all the time. In most cases, both are to blame, and until both come to grips that they are part of the problem, the conflict doesn't get resolved. I would think that by now that most intelligent fans would realize that this whole thing is not just about the money. The management wants more power, and the workers want more rights, the money issue is only part of it. The NHL seems bent on trying to convince the public, and themselves that this all the players (NHLPA) fault. So, until they are ready to accept their share of the problem, this will continue to get uglier by the day, even to the point that some franchises will go belly up. But, in the long run, those owners will be replaced by other owners, as the game regains it's health. I still believe, Bettman (basketball person) should not be running the NHL. It is like having a forward who scored 50 goals a season, but is a minus 50. Yes Bettman improved revenue, but was unable to control spending, hence the collapse of the system. He has failed!!!!!

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Weary said:
So you say you know it's all about the money. But then the players will go play for less. Did it ever occur to you that maybe it's not all about the money? (For the players at least.)
The players have given Knob Goodenow too much power, and it is he that has made the Players look like money mongers... most of us realize that most of the players are not thinking about just the money...they just don't have the ball$ to expose Goodenow for the power monger he is...so until they do that, it's all about the money...

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Mighty Duck said:
But, in the long run, those owners will be replaced by other owners, as the game regains it's health.

I imagine there were many fans back in '94 who thought very similar to this...and look where we are.

There's only a handful of current NHL owners who owned a hockey team 10 years ago, and is the sport any better off?

Owners are owners, whether it's in the NHL, WHA, UHL or Europe/Russia. The players would do well to understand this. The players are nothing without owners to pay them and give them jerseys to wear and shill on TV...just as the NHL isn't the NHL without the top players in it.

Sadly, both sides of this clown show need each other.

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
All you have to do is go look at Section 5 of the players' December proposal (.pdf) to see that it wasn't just money. You only need to see Trevor Linden's resentment at the NHL's equating the input the players would have with the input auto workers at GM have.

I'm not saying it's not about the money. But it's not all about the money.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Owen Wilson said:
So it makes sense to you that they'll play in the WHA for less money than in the NHL??

No..they dont care about the money...they are doing it for the fans only.

Ha..ok..if i meant that then I would have pro-player blinders on...but maybe they just want to get the pressure on the NHL to get something going...im not sure..maybe they just want to play again..lets not forget the majority of players dont care about an extra million or 2...Bob does.

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Does the garbage man say...I clean up the trash to make everyone happy there streets dont smell of crap" No he saids he cleans up the trash to get his paycheck. Does the deli worker say..I do my job because I love to see the happy faces on the customers faces when they walk out with some meat?.

Apples an oranges.

When i start buying tickets to support the garbage man, maybe he would say that. When im off to the store to buy my favorite deli server's 3rd Jersey, Then i bet he says that.

These players are paid by US. If we dont buy thier shat and goto thier games, they dont get paid. Hell, ill go off the deep end like you did, We as fans OWN the players. We pay thier salary. We do NOT goto games to watch people loaf around and then goto the media and say "we are just out here to collect a paycheck"

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
FLYLine4LIFE said:
aye

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I'm not going to yell and scream, but I'm also not going to spend one red cent to support this particular endeavour.

If the players need money in their pockets so damn bad, they should get a deal signed with the NHL and get their collective asses back on the ice where they belong.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
CBA business aside. The WHA reportedly either has or is close to having lease agreements in Seattle, Portland, Las Vegas, Dallas and Quebec City. They're also likely to have franschises in Omaha and Atlantic City (I don't know if that will work out...). They're aiming for 10 franchises and given that they're already playing games in Hamilton, I bet that ends up being one. Vancouver and Toronto could follow the same logic. Quebec, Hamilton, Toronto and Atlantic City make up one division while the Western teams make up the other.

Just some guesses on that last part.

Edit: I forgot Indianapolis as a place where they're reportedly gonna have an agreement. So scratch Toronto or Atlantic City.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Last time I checked, the garbage man doesn't spout off about how he is the product, either. I've never heard the guy at the deli refer to himself as the product. I have however heard it said that the players are the product (which is not my opinion)

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
Weary said:
All you have to do is go look at Section 5 of the players' December proposal (.pdf) to see that it wasn't just money. You only need to see Trevor Linden's resentment at the NHL's equating the input the players would have with the input auto workers at GM have.

I'm not saying it's not about the money. But it's not all about the money.
It's about money and power. The owners have been losing money while a players union with way too much power has been raking in the cash. The owners not only want to make money but they want control of their game back.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Tawnos said:
CBA business aside. The WHA reportedly either has or is close to having lease agreements in Seattle, Portland, Las Vegas, Dallas and Quebec City. They're also likely to have franschises in Omaha and Atlantic City (I don't know if that will work out...). They're aiming for 10 franchises and given that they're already playing games in Hamilton, I bet that ends up being one. Vancouver and Toronto could follow the same logic. Quebec, Hamilton, Toronto and Atlantic City make up one division while the Western teams make up the other.

Just some guesses on that last part.

Edit: I forgot Indianapolis as a place where they're reportedly gonna have an agreement. So scratch Toronto or Atlantic City.
So in the WHA, was the proposed salary cap 10 or 15 million??? I mean it's not 40-42.5 M like the NHL offered, but it's right up there... I can see why the PA and their LEADERS are thinking WHA... :banghead: :lol

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
BLONG7 said:
So in the WHA, was the proposed salary cap 10 or 15 million??? I mean it's not 40-42.5 M like the NHL offered, but it's right up there... I can see why the PA and their LEADERS are thinking WHA... :banghead: :lol

Read this closely: The players and the union are thinking WHA as a second option, an option IF the league refuses to negotiate again, like they did for most of the dispute.

Seriously, have some common sense.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
PecaFan said:
HA HA HA :lol

Section five shows that not only is it about money, they also want *CONTROL*.

They want control but not responsibility.
They upwards indexing but no downwards indexing.
They want the benefits of partnership but not linkage of partnership.

When it comes to responsibility they want to be autoworkers. When it comes to benefits and control they want to be partners.

No harm in asking I suppose. :dunno:

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
me2 said:
They want control but not responsibility.
Yes. They want to run the team, but not take responsibility for their own spending.

They upwards indexing but no downwards indexing.
Sure. They want a salary cap, but no salary floor.

They want the benefits of partnership but not linkage of partnership.
Indeed. They all want the benefits of a thirty team league, but they don't want to meaningful revenue sharing.

When it comes to responsibility they want to be autoworkers.
You bet. They want the league to dictate what they spend.

When it comes to benefits and control they want to be partners.
Of course. They still want to run their own franchises and get those guaranteed profits.

No harm in asking I suppose. :dunno:
Nope. Most of them wouldn't have become billionaires if they hadn't done some asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad