Salary Cap: Wet Hot Canadian Sutter (Is No More)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Waffle/Ogre -- my thoughts, as well. I wouldn't hate it, I guess but I'd also kinda rather give a few of the more promising young guys a shot at a depth spot. I just have major doubts as to how much Cooke has to give, at this point. Even as a part-time player.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Definitely a fan of the youth movement. I think all of us are just saying "Meh I wouldn't be mad" even though it's not the desired action.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Waffle/Ogre -- my thoughts, as well. I wouldn't hate it, I guess but I'd also kinda rather give a few of the more promising young guys a shot at a depth spot. I just have major doubts as to how much Cooke has to give, at this point. Even as a part-time player.

Give him a camp invite or nothing. I'm not convinced he's better than Wilson at this point.

Definitely a fan of the youth movement. I think all of us are just saying "Meh I wouldn't be mad" even though it's not the desired action.

I wouldn't be mad either. Its just a very meh move. I'm ready to stop bringing back old retreads and move forward. We need young enthusiasm more than veteran experience.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
1) Cooke to a tryout deal. 2) Cooke injures Scudari. 3) Profit??

I wouldn't be against it for league minimum for depth and to hear the rest of the east whine.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Kunitz-Sid-Kessel
Perron-Geno-Horny
Plotnikov-Banino-Dupuis
Sundqvist-Fehr-Bennett

I mean, if we want to sign him as a 13th forward (and to play while Fehr is out) I guess that's fine. But I wouldn't hate to use those few months to give some of the kids a test run. Even if we do sign someone, there have to be better options out there.

BANino? C'mon Ogre, i know you really didn't like Sutter but now i'm beginning to suspect you just don't like the 3C position in general! :laugh:

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Sign Cooke to league min, allow him to plow other teams stars but not to injure them of course, but bring the hurt. Only play him vs the teams we wanna beat up (ex: Flyers).

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013

Pretty much.

It's funny, a few years ago I would have killed for Cooke and Dupuis to be on a line together. Now it might actually happen, but together at age 36 isn't quite as exciting :laugh:

Pete Gas

Jul 10, 2012
I bet the Vancouver ladies are pumped that Sutter is going to be playing there, post game interviews should spark ratings.

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
As much as I would like to see the Pens acquire Boedker, I'm not sure we have the assets to achieve that unless it would be a package containing Perron plus. I actually think the object of his desire is Franson, who he wanted last year. It might also be the reason Franson has not signed and is giving JR time to make the needed moves to free up the space to sign him. Much like the case with Fehr, who signed on immediately after space was opened up by the Sutter trade. Similar modus operandi.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
As much as I would like to see the Pens acquire Boedker, I'm not sure we have the assets to achieve that unless it would be a package containing Perron plus. I actually think the object of his desire is Franson, who he wanted last year. It might also be the reason Franson has not signed and is giving JR time to make the needed moves to free up the space to sign him. Much like the case with Fehr, who signed on immediately after space was opened up by the Sutter trade. Similar modus operandi.
Boedker way overrated by this board--I'd expect the CMU analytics expert would put the kibosh on the pursuit of him. Franson would be good not only because of the player, but because it would mean Scuderi gone.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I think it would be horrible. We need to send a message to the youth that actual roster spots are available if you earn it. If you sign Cooke and don't move anyone out, there are no competition spots on camp.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I think it would be horrible. We need to send a message to the youth that actual roster spots are available if you earn it. If you sign Cooke and don't move anyone out, there are no competition spots on camp.

Not disagreeing, but I wouldn't blame the organization for not seeing a whole ton of potential in our forward pipe line for next year. Guys like Wilson and Rust may be best off as injury call ups. And Sheary may best be served playing big minutes in WBS.

Still, any forward signing should mean someone on their way out. Namely, Kunitz.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Perron-Malkin-Kessel
Bennett-Bonino-Hornqvist
Cooke-Fehr-Plotnikov

I like it.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Not disagreeing, but I wouldn't blame the organization for not seeing a whole ton of potential in our forward pipe line for next year. Guys like Wilson and Rust may be best off as injury call ups. And Sheary may best be served playing big minutes in WBS.

Still, any forward signing should mean someone on their way out. Namely, Kunitz.

Right but if you sign Cooke it may mean Bennett is a healthy scratch or Sundqvist in the AHL. Not the end of the world but I want young legs on the 4th line.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Right but if you sign Cooke it may mean Bennett is a healthy scratch or Sundqvist in the AHL. Not the end of the world but I want young legs on the 4th line.

Absolutely.

Wonder if Cooke would sign two way and be okay with getting call up time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad