Speculation: We're moving to Quebec City, y'all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I'll go to being a Railhawks STH. I'd feel better about that move if the MLS seemingly gave enough of a **** about this market to think about putting a team here rather then putting one in Miami and a second team in NYC.

That or I'd get tickets up at Mountaineer Field again.

Charlotte has been discussed as a potential MLS expansion slot with the success of the Guiness games here.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
IF, this dude on that radio station in Quebec is correct that QC is getting the Canes and Daly is correct that the Canes are staying in Raleigh next season, then we are moving in the 2017 season. At which that point, I immediately call my ticket rep and tell him I am no longer renewing next season and to give my my $1500 deposit back. And I don't think I will be the only current STH doing that.

So with that being said, I doubt that is happening because i'm sure they will know that if fans in the area know the team is only there for one more year, NO ONE is spending money and time attending games.

On the other hand, it is P ****ing K and he is not trustworthy and doesn't care about anyone but himself. His comments to the fans over the last couple years were slaps to the face, so I could easily him saying "Yes, I sold to Quebecor, you fans wouldn't be patients and give me money when I gave you a ****** team all these years. It's your fault, not mine."

So with that, yes I likely am more worried than years past. And I will say, I will not become a Nordique fan and I'd probably not watch hockey anymore.

Not only would I not become a Quebec fan, but I'd hope for them the same thing that I hoped for Winnipeg when they got the Thrashers: that the team would become irrelevant so long as it played in that city. That management would completely screw over the team so badly that they either never become competitive or, in the event they reach the playoffs, they get swept in the first round. That they lose most, if not all, of their players in free agency rather than have to put up with playing there. That their fans leave them in droves leaving the blowhards here to keep sputtering about the superiority of the Canadian hockey fan while everybody knows it's just empty bluster.

So far my wish has been working out in Winnipeg. Who knows, maybe what my mother always said about her side of the family being partially Romani is true.

Last edited:

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I guess the Canes do miss the playoffs alot, which fits into the canadian franchise theme.

200x200px-ZC-564c440b_black-kid-oh-snap.gif

WeTheNords

Jun 14, 2015
Thanks man. As I said in a since-moderated post in the BoH thread (one guy insulted us with a little too much zeal, and my response was equally zealous), I think most of us would be happy to see you guys get a team, as long as it's not ours or anyone else's. I, for one, would much rather send you a player through an expansion draft than see an entire team go, be it ours or any other city's.

Would be really happy with that! :)

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
NEAltF.jpg

DupontRF.jpg

but yeah aside from them (or if WVU somehow decides to even go Div III, yet alone Div I) I'm done. Let the Huskies gaze bore into your soul. Join us.

REALLY wish there was an easy solution to the unbalanced conferences, because if there was QC getting an expansion team would be a ****ing no-brainer.

Havoq

Havoq
Apr 24, 2013
Raleigh, NC
So with that, yes I likely am more worried than years past. And I will say, I will not become a Nordique fan and I'd probably not watch hockey anymore.

I don't think I would stop watching hockey all together as I love the sport too much.

However the idea of this team, with all our young guys that have stepped up, the vets and the abundance of picks we have over the next two years, playing together wearing a different sweater outside of Raleigh makes me completely sick to my stomach.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
I have a thought about Eric leaving and the finality of his comments to Carolina, specifically, but it doesn't feel good.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
If they expand QC and LV, that means the conferences have to be realigned, which wouldn't be a bad thing, I still think Seattle is on their list though of cities they want to be in.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Not only would I not become a Quebec fan, but I'd hope for them the same thing that I hoped for Winnipeg when they got the Thrashers: that the team would become irrelevant so long as it played in that city. That management would completely screw over the team so badly that they either never become competitive or, in the event they reach the playoffs, they get swept in the first round. That they lose most, if not all, of their players in free agency rather than have to put up with playing there. That their fans leave them in droves leaving the blowhards here to keep sputtering about the superiority of the Canadian hockey fan while everybody knows it's just empty bluster.

So far my wish has been working out in Winnipeg. Who knows, maybe what my mother always said about her side of the family being partially Romani is true.

So you would act exactly the same way the Whalers fans who wish the Canes ill will do? Isn't that one of your biggest pet peeves? That's just a little hypocritical, no?

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I don't think I would stop watching hockey all together as I love the sport too much.

However the idea of this team, with all our young guys that have stepped up, the vets and the abundance of picks we have over the next two years, playing together wearing a different sweater outside of Raleigh makes me completely sick to my stomach.

The game itself is one thing, I am about to buy season tickets for the newest incarnation of the minor league team in my town. The NHL is another thing altogether, and honestly I've gotten weary of the overall product on the ice the last few years where I think I can honestly say I wouldn't miss it all that much.

The latter point you make probably sums it up the most. All those years of disappointments, they finally get things headed the right direction and now this. It's a real slap in the face, IF this actually does happen, but I'm not convinced it will at all.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Say what you will about PK, and many have, his legacy as a builder means a lot to him. I don't think he would allow that legacy to be tarnished by having his personal project be compromised. He did the fans in Hartford dirty. We know this. However, being at the helm of two relocated franchises doesn't seem like HHOF material. If the NHL was dead set on protecting Arizona, they'd have to be more determined to protect our interests. I just don't buy it based on what we're seeing right now.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
So you would act exactly the same way the Whalers fans who wish the Canes ill will do? Isn't that one of your biggest pet peeves? That's just a little hypocritical, no?

Situation is a little bit different in that nobody was gleefully dancing on the Whalers' graves at the time. If this move happens you're gonna see a whole lot of that in the Canadian media and on boards like this and it's sure to be disgusting.

caniac247

Nov 1, 2006
Raleigh
Oh and forgot to add.....PJ (VP of ticketing/sales) is leaving. He took another job. So he must know something.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC

Don't worry, the Nords will trade guys off like Faulk, Pesce, Slavin, Skinner, Staal, et al. soon enough parce qu'ils ne parlent pas le français.

Guilty as charged, I guess.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
Say what you will about PK, and many have, his legacy as a builder means a lot to him. I don't think he would allow that legacy to be tarnished by having his personal project be compromised. He did the fans in Hartford dirty. We know this. However, being at the helm of two relocated franchises doesn't seem like HHOF material. If the NHL was dead set on protecting Arizona, they'd have to be more determined to protect our interests. I just don't buy it based on what we're seeing right now.

I'll grant you that. Things here in Carolina would have to be pretty unpalatable for Karmanos' ego to allow him to let his legacy be uprooted from where he planted it.

I know he wants to sell the team, but I haven't gotten a sense of urgency about it yet, so it would be out of left field for him to throw in the towel at this stage.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
The more immediate bummer for me personally speaking anyway, is that just last night after watching the Rangers game I was so freaking jazzed about what I had just seen, I went to Target and dropped 60 bucks on the NHL 16 video game. Came home and spent way too much time updating rosters to the point I was even researching what kind of skates Derek Ryan wears, then I see this and I'm too bummed out to play it. First world problems.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
The more immediate bummer for me personally speaking anyway, is that just last night after watching the Rangers game I was so freaking jazzed about what I had just seen, I went to Target and dropped 60 bucks on the NHL 16 video game. Came home and spent way too much time updating rosters to the point I was even researching what kind of skates Derek Ryan wears, then I see this and I'm too bummed out to play it. First world problems.

SMH, should had bought EHM for 20.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/301120/

OK to be fair though, it's a management game so if that's not your thing then it's not your thing.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I can certainly see why there's been no official retort from the team, but the fact that all of these stories are coming only from QC has to mean something, right? As in, hopefully just s bunch of hot air...

Still would certainly be reassuring to see a Mckenzie or Dreger official tweet saying it's BS. I'd trust them to report the truth much more than Daly, which is sad.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
Still would certainly be reassuring to see a Mckenzie or Dreger official tweet saying it's BS. I'd trust them to report the truth much more than Daly, which is sad.

You and me both. The league's only options are always to be silent or deny any relocation rumors until the owners are ready to talk about it publicly. The fact that they can't always tell the truth means nobody knows the truth when they see it.

Would be much better if a source everybody agrees is trustworthy said something one way or the other. The Dregers and McKenzies of the world are much more reliable for the real story than a party who has a clear interest in keeping it quiet.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON

The NHL was never dead-set of protecting Arizona, they were set on protecting the NHL. The league fought so hard to keep the Coyotes in AZ because you had someone trying to barge in and make up his own rules, which would've been bad news for the league if he won.

If PK is playing by Bettman & Co.'s rules regarding how he handles the (re)location of the Canes (and it looks as though he is), I'm afraid you're unlikely to see anything resembling the Coyotes fight.

Penaltykiller17

Apr 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC
I can certainly see why there's been no official retort from the team, but the fact that all of these stories are coming only from QC has to mean something, right? As in, hopefully just s bunch of hot air...

This. Pk has already spoken on this twice this season, Waddell also spoke twice, then Betteman, then Daly. If I were them I'd probably be tired answering questions. It would be one thing if it were coming from Dreger or Lebrun, it would be even more worrisome if it came from our own sorry media.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad