Speculation: We're moving to Quebec City, y'all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I'll go to being a Railhawks STH. I'd feel better about that move if the MLS seemingly gave enough of a **** about this market to think about putting a team here rather then putting one in Miami and a second team in NYC.

We'd probably go from being Bulls miniplan to half season ticket holders. I wouldn't give up on the NHL though - I loved hockey prior to the Canes and would still follow the Pens. We might go to Fayetteville or Charlotte and see the Checkers or the Fire Antz, though, to get our live fixes.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
It'd be super nice if there were Amy ****ing media in this market to get PK or Waddell on the phone and ask them what the **** is going on right? Not just retweeting what future Nordiques prospects are doing in Finland.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
With all this chatter, I still haven't seen anyone make a good case why a relocation would be the right business decision with the long-term perspective.

Yes, the attendance is low right now...but look at the average of the last decade...and forecast over the next decade where the team will presumably have more success on the ice. Look at the forecast for population and economic growth in the Raleigh area.

Also need to take into account the idea that building an NHL franchise in a non-traditional market is a generational endeavor...build youth programs...get kids playing hockey and becoming a fan of the franchise...then a generation later those kids are making money and buying tickets.

If the Canes were a playoff team this year, attendance would be fine and this wouldn't be a conversation.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Jets fan who'd love to see the Nords back (but wish no ill will to the Canes or their fans).

I'm still scratching my head over this though. It doesn't quite add up. Has there been any news/hints/rumours of a move from the Carolina side of things?

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
Jets fan who'd love to see the Nords back (but wish no ill will to the Canes or their fans).

I'm still scratching my head over this though. It doesn't quite add up. Has there been any news/hints/rumours of a move from the Carolina side of things?

None at all, but our media isn't as rabid as the media in Canada over hockey matters

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

No that's the weird part. I mean there's been talk of PK trying to sell the team for a while now and even talks of a potential buyer being in town this past summer to look at things. But even with as low key as the Jets sale was there were still a ton of rumors circulating around even out of the Atlanta area of the ownership group just flat out not wanting anything to do with the Thrashers. That's not the case here, which is what makes this whole thing very VERY confusing and, well, frankly from our standpoint rather depressing.

I'll take it a step farther then CBB though, our media flat out sucks when it comes to real coverage and especially anything regarding the business of the team.

drganon

Jun 24, 2014

Not really. Haven't heard a peep from any canes people, officially anyway. Local news has said jack, not that means a whole lot, and a recent check of google news doesn't say anything about the canes other than talk about staal and beating the rangers. Well, stuff that's in english anyway.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
It'd be super nice if there were Amy ****ing media in this market to get PK or Waddell on the phone and ask them what the **** is going on right? Not just retweeting what future Nordiques prospects are doing in Finland.

Seriously, Chip or Luke needs to do ****ing something. This is way too ****ing quiet

drganon

Jun 24, 2014
Seriously, Chip or Luke needs to do ****ing something. This is way too ****ing quiet

Really. I'm sick of all these rumours on one end, and nothing on our end. Just say something one or another so I can ****ing move on if I have to and end all of this suspense ********.

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
I'll go to being a Railhawks STH. I'd feel better about that move if the MLS seemingly gave enough of a **** about this market to think about putting a team here rather then putting one in Miami and a second team in NYC.

They'd probably need to rebrand as something more marketable like Real Carolina United FC to join MLS :sarcasm:

But in all seriousness I've read some interviews with the new Railhawks owner and he really epitomizes what an owner in this market should be. He really sounds awesome and ambitious and puts a lot of importance in the fans. Wish the Hurricanes could've had someone like him..

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
No that's the weird part. I mean there's been talk of PK trying to sell the team for a while now and even talks of a potential buyer being in town this past summer to look at things. But even with as low key as the Jets sale was there were still a ton of rumors circulating around even out of the Atlanta area of the ownership group just flat out not wanting anything to do with the Thrashers. That's not the case here, which is what makes this whole thing very VERY confusing and, well, frankly from our standpoint rather depressing.

I'll take it a step farther then CBB though, our media flat out sucks when it comes to real coverage and especially anything regarding the business of the team.

How long has Karamanos been trying to sell the team? I know it's been a year or two, ut I would have thought the League would want several years of efforts to sell before authorizing a relocation.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Let's not pretend there aren't legitimate reasons the other 29 owners would approve to move the Canes to QC.

I'm sure there are. But about 99% of the arguments on BoH right now against us come down to that plus an added touch of spite from a few of our favorite posters that we all have come to know and love over the years.

How long has Karamanos been trying to sell the team? I know it's been a year or two, ut I would have thought the League would want several years of efforts to sell before authorizing a relocation.

I know since 2014 at least. He did sell off a chunk of the team a few years earlier to basically a big set of (mostly) local investors after Thewes died. I think about 20% of the overall stake in the team. Weird as it is to say part of this makes me think it may simply be Karmanos putting on the full court press to some of them or the other party that was interested this summer.

The X factor here is that we don't know what would be possible suitor wise without that whole 4 years phase-out stupidity that he's insisting on. He doesn't exactly have a stellar reputation as someone that's easy to work with, to say the least. Very conceivable that someone would be interested in buying the team and keeping them here if Karmanos simply would GTFO once the sale is complete.

Last edited:

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Don't go chicken little on me now, boys. It doesn't make any sense for the Hurricanes organization to address a blogger from Quebec. It only lends credence to the idea they're open to those kind of attacks. It would be marketing suicide to say "We're totally not moving," which then inserts the idea into the head of your average fans that have virtually no idea about this, that we're open for that kind of discussion. It's below the threshold of needing to be explained.

Seeing this kind of split on the boards makes me happy we're not Arizona a couple years ago when NHL executives were refusing to go on the record about that market. We have a clear and concise answer from Bill Daly that we're not moving to Quebec City. Take the positive news and ignore the idle chatter. It's always been there. These fans think if they create enough chatter that chatter will become true. Don't play that game.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
I didn't think it would come as early as 2017, but yes. Anything is possible. It's why I pulled so hard for Arizona to stay because I didn't want something to happen to them which is possible for us. Also, my heart sinks any time I see this title if that's says anything about how much I believe it.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
I really don't want the Hurricanes to move, you guys have a huge passion for the game and your arena situation will allow you years of NHL hockey if a legit owner can be found. Also, #hfcanes is the best board on this site; you guys are fun. I'd miss you all.

:cheers:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I can't tell. Are some of you actually worried about relocation?

It's Karmanos, I won't put a damn thing past him. I'm worried up until the moment he decides to GTFO and the new owner says they're staying in North Carolina and locks down a decade+ long lease extension with PNC Arena.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
It's Karmanos, I won't put a damn thing past him. I'm worried up until the moment he decides to GTFO and the new owner says they're staying in North Carolina and locks down a decade+ long lease extension with PNC Arena.

Unfortunately Dave, even then I think we'd be subjected to the same speculation as Phoenix with regards to the questions of "Well, how long can the new owner stomach playing at a loss? When will they move to a more deserving city like Hamilton or Halifax or Saskatoon? We only want to Make it 8...or 9...or 10...or 11..."

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I guess the Canes do miss the playoffs alot, which fits into the canadian franchise theme.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Unfortunately Dave, even then I think we'd be subjected to the same speculation as Phoenix with regards to the questions of "Well, how long can the new owner stomach playing at a loss? When will they move to a more deserving city like Hamilton or Halifax or Saskatoon? We only want to Make it 8...or 9...or 10...or 11..."

Yeah but at that point it's pretty easy to dismiss with the **** factor that shows that Gale Force Holdings is typically break even (at worst) and that the value of the team has been increasing. I mean we can do that now too, but Karmanos is the trump factor. As Jacques put it over on BoH, "It's like marrying someone you had an affair with, then several years later wondering if they're having another affair. We just haven't found the condoms."

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh

This. Here's what I said in the BoH thread a few minutes ago (I know, I know, I said I wouldn't go back there... couldn't help it):

"It's like marrying someone you had an affair with, then several years later wondering if they're having another affair. We just haven't found the condoms."

Edit: You ninja'd me.

caniac247

Nov 1, 2006
Raleigh
IF, this dude on that radio station in Quebec is correct that QC is getting the Canes and Daly is correct that the Canes are staying in Raleigh next season, then we are moving in the 2017 season. At which that point, I immediately call my ticket rep and tell him I am no longer renewing next season and to give my my $1500 deposit back. And I don't think I will be the only current STH doing that.

So with that being said, I doubt that is happening because i'm sure they will know that if fans in the area know the team is only there for one more year, NO ONE is spending money and time attending games.

On the other hand, it is P ****ing K and he is not trustworthy and doesn't care about anyone but himself. His comments to the fans over the last couple years were slaps to the face, so I could easily him saying "Yes, I sold to Quebecor, you fans wouldn't be patients and give me money when I gave you a ****** team all these years. It's your fault, not mine."

So with that, yes I likely am more worried than years past. And I will say, I will not become a Nordique fan and I'd probably not watch hockey anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad