Post-Game Talk: Well that was fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Are you sure? I seem to remember you coming at me in virtually every thread about how I was too high on the Bruins.

Apologies if i have, indeed, confused you with another. Dont think i have though

I can't remember how high you were on the Bruins so not sure, I don't always remember who posted what so no worries. You would have had to have been super high on the Bruins for me to be coming at you though, I have nothing but respect for that team, I said I would prefer to play TB and I think after NSH, Boston would be the toughest match-up for us our of all the teams in the league.

A couple of months ago, I said we'd have about a 40% chance against Boston, more recently I said I thought our chances are much better but I said Boston was still the clear favourite, mostly because of home advantage but nevertheless. I was also most definitely not mocking people who said they can't handle our speed, that I can promise you.

They are 20/21 and leading the team in scoring all regular season with Bozak and JVR as teammates.

Pastrnak is 21. He showed up. 3 points. Leads his team.

It's a long series. Lots of time but it's time to play.

Plays on a line with two guys who were on the top line of Team Canada. If that means "leads his team" then sure, whatever you say. Anyhow, pretty dumb thing to say IMHO considering it's based on one game. This place is hot take city today. :laugh:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
There have been endless debates on this board concerning the "enforcer", "tough guy" whatever on the roster but what do you do if the other team runs you all night and the refs don't call it?
What is the solution then? Kadri could not allow that and I agree. It might cost us but I would have done the same thing as a teammate.

the thing is- he didn't have to hit him.
the game was lost at that point why not just drop the gloves and punch someone's face.

there are a lot of people going "Well I don't mind what Kadri did he was defending a teammate." I'd just like to point out that I get it, we all get it, and i don't doubt the intention that Kadri did. But that was a dangerous hit. The end. I've said that Wingles elbow (while Chara was hitting Marner) was really cheap and that should have been called but that doesn't justify Kadri hitting someone like that. That doesn't justify anyone hitting anyone like that.

Kadri could have dropped the gloves, grabbed someone and walloped someone and that would have just been a 2m penalty, the same message would have been sent, and we don't have the potential of losing our #2 centre for a game.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
this current 3rd line? hell no. When they are gone and we use players who have been taught responsibility come up the lineup (Kapanen, Johnsson etc) we wont have to shelter any line as much as 80%. Im basically saying I cant wait until JVR and Bozak are gone, nothing we can do about them this playoffs.

The only way we need to heavily shelter a line next season would be of course if Nyladner were at C, and even then id be confident he would need it less than bozak has

Bozak took 2 d-zone face-offs 5v5, Kadri took 5 d-zone face-offs 5v5, Matthews took 6 d-zone face-offs 5v5.

Bozak won as many d-zone face-offs as Kadri did.

5 d-zone starts is what 1.6 per period?

Is this really a big deal if you look at actuals and not ratios? Faceoff Summary

But you might have a point, if Plekanec was 20% on d-zone face-offs, and Kadri was 40%, compared to 100% for Bozak and 67% for Matthews, maybe Babcock should, where possible, put out his better face-off men in the d-zone. However, you might want to put someone other than van Riemsdyk out for these face-offs if the concern is doing something with the puck once you get it in your own zone.

Last edited:

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
So when Marchand hit Johansson in the head with his stick and doesn't fight, you take the 2 minutes for pushing him and talking tough. What if Marner was out for 4 games now?
If Martin and his fighting isn't a deterrent, that's the solution for cheap shots against us? When the refs aren't calling it? How many cheap shot, 2 minutes in the box do you take? How many PP do you give Boston for non calls?

First, Martin isn't a deterrent but he might make the others play with grit. But I doubt he gets in.

Generally speaking, we don't have a gritty team. Babcock's team in Detroit wasn't gritty. They were kind of boring in that department.

What they did do was ensure that they won the special teams battles. You do that by not giving them PPs.

You are trying to justify an action that riles up the opposition, gives them a 5 Min Major PP, takes the #2C out of the game... and possibly for at least another game... and all the while being a gutless action at that.

There is no justification for it.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Bozak took 2 d-zone face-offs 5v5, Kadri took 5 d-zone face-offs 5v5, Matthews took 6 d-zone face-offs 5v5.

Bozak won as many d-zone face-offs as Kadri did.

5 d-zone starts is what 1.6 per game?

Is this really a big deal if you look at actuals and not ratios? Faceoff Summary

But you might have a point, if Plekanec was 20% on d-zone face-offs, and Kadri was 40%, compared to 100% for Bozak and 67% for Matthews, maybe Babcock should, where possible, put out his better face-off men in the d-zone. However, you might want to put someone other than van Riemsdyk out for these face-offs if the concern is doing something with the puck once you get it in your own zone.

right in those summaries, Matthews had 2 offensive zone draws bozak had 7. Who would you rather with a higher chance for a goal? Id be hoping for Matthews personally, but unfortunately we have to use bozak and JVR somewhere

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
First, Martin isn't a deterrent but he might make the others play with grit. But I doubt he gets in.

Generally speaking, we don't have a gritty team. Babcock's team in Detroit wasn't gritty. They were kind of boring in that department.

What they did do was ensure that they won the special teams battles. You do that by not giving them PPs.

You are trying to justify an action that riles up the opposition, gives them a 5 Min Major PP, takes the #2C out of the game... and possibly for at least another game... and all the while being a gutless action at that.

There is no justification for it.

When you have a Lidstrom at the back and Datsyuk in the middle, you can get away with a lot of stuff. Datsyuk didn't have to play a key role until the mid 2000s. Before that it was Yzerman and Federov carrying the team.

Samuelsson, Holmstrom, Drake, Maltby are very gritty players. I am not sure why you would think they weren't gritty. Past that 2008 team, Detroit has been almost non existence who coulndn't get out of the first round for that reason. They didn't have the size to compete against LA, Chicago and Anaheim

Reactions: FlapJackKing

MapleLeafistan

Oct 5, 2017
Victoria, BC
I stopped watching after Bruins went up 3-1. I even mentioned if the Leafs hang on and go into the 3rd down one goal, they'll tie it up and probably go to OT. Literally 20 seconds after saying that, they let that 3rd goal in with less than a minute remaining. That tells me everything I need to know. This team cannot play defence...Jesus Christ, they almost remind me of those Canucks teams in the late 2000s...did well in the regular season, and became physically afraid of the playoffs. As far as I'm concerned this series is over.

I thought this year they might have a chance to get to the 2nd round, but the way they played last night clearly shows they're not even ready to be in the playoffs. They have no clue what to do on defence. I knew it was weak, but Jesus Christ, they looked like deer starring into headlights...running around like a bunch of twits, running into each other. What is Andersen supposed to do?

They played like shite the entire game...didn't capitalize on the powerplays...they deserved to lose. Hopefully in the off season they address the defence and go after a proper #1 or do something. Also, it's time to say goodbye to Komorov. Thanks for your pestery...but it's not 2013 anymore. Plekanec might as well be wearing a Habs jersey out there...and what does Hainsey even do? Just want this series over ASAP...all season I enjoyed watching Leafs games, even when they lost, you could still see some fight.

WTF was that last night? That's a team not making it beyond the 1st round.

I'll be watching the Raptors playoff run and TFC's champion league final instead. See ya.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
When you have a Lidstrom at the back and Datsyuk in the middle, you can get away with a lot of stuff. Datsyuk didn't have to play a key role until the mid 2000s. Before that it was Yzerman and Federov carrying the team.

Samuelsson, Holmstrom, Drake, Maltby are very gritty players. I am not sure why you would think they weren't gritty. Past that 2008 team, Detroit has been almost non existence who coulndn't get out of the first round for that reason. They didn't have the size to compete against LA, Chicago and Anaheim

True.

A number of us are concerned with the way our team has been put together.

No doubt skill and speed is the focus. And it works for the regular season.

Our nemesis is Round 1 last year was Tom Wilson. Hopefully, they can find a way to adjust.

Little Toronto is kicking our ass

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Yep, Leafs don't have a Lidstrom, and their Datsyuk is only 21 years old. Datsyuk didn't make the NHL until he was 23.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I stopped watching after Bruins went up 3-1. I even mentioned if the Leafs hang on and go into the 3rd down one goal, they'll tie it up and probably go to OT. Literally 20 seconds after saying that, they let that 3rd goal in with less than a minute remaining. That tells me everything I need to know. This team cannot play defence...Jesus Christ, they almost remind me of those Canucks teams in the late 2000s...did well in the regular season, and became physically afraid of the playoffs. As far as I'm concerned this series is over.

I thought this year they might have a chance to get to the 2nd round, but the way they played last night clearly shows they're not even ready to be in the playoffs. They have no clue what to do on defence. I knew it was weak, but Jesus Christ, they looked like deer starring into headlights...running around like a bunch of twits, running into each other. What is Andersen supposed to do?

They played like ****e the entire game...didn't capitalize on the powerplays...they deserved to lose. Hopefully in the off season they address the defence and go after a proper #1 or do something. Also, it's time to say goodbye to Komorov. Thanks for your pestery...but it's not 2013 anymore. Plekanec might as well be wearing a Habs jersey out there...and what does Hainsey even do? Just want this series over ASAP...all season I enjoyed watching Leafs games, even when they lost, you could still see some fight.

WTF was that last night? That's a team not making it beyond the 1st round.

I'll be watching the Raptors playoff run and TFC's champion league final instead. See ya.
You'll be posting again by Saturday.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I think this was well put:

It is no secret the Leafs are a skilled team that is not particularly physical, but there is a difference between not being physical and not engaging in body contact whatsoever. The Leafs are fond of stick lifts, particularly on the forecheck, but this is the playoffs. Boston dominated along the walls because they protect the puck with their bodies. Matthews did not have one high-end scoring opportunity last night and was only remotely dangerous on the power play when he had time and space. Boston is not necessarily big or tough, but they cycle well, which is why they were one of the best possession teams in the league this season. The Leafs lost the body position battle along the walls all night and it led to quite a few skilled players being pretty nonexistent in Game One.
Toronto Maple Leafs Playoff Notebook: Special Teams the Difference in Game 1

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
True.

A number of us are concerned with the way our team has been put together.

No doubt skill and speed is the focus. And it works for the regular season.

Our nemesis is Round 1 last year was Tom Wilson. Hopefully, they can find a way to adjust.

Little Toronto is kicking our ass

I'm hoping they have something in their prospects to help address their lack of granite up front and maybe someone to lead the d-corps.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
And agree with all of this except if Komarov moves up

5 Things I Think I’d Do

1. If Nazem Kadri is suspended, I think it makes the most sense to move Marleau to center, as he’s shown throughout the season he can play responsibly and still be offensive in that role. I think we’ll see Leo Komarov move up to that line and the first line will stay intact. But I’d have a quick trigger on this and not be afraid to shift Nylander to center and Marner up with Matthews if everyone is going to play like they did in Game 1. They’ll have to shake it up in that case.

I think I’d actually make a little swap on the bottom two lines with Connor Brown and Kasperi Kapanen. Kapanen’s speed made an impact and is a threat, while Brown did not record a shot on net (Kapanen only had one, in fairness). I just think that line needs a spark to be effective offensively.

3. I think I’d put Dominic Moore in over Tomas Plekanec. It won’t happen, but I’ll say it. I’m pretty sure Moore can’t do much worse than playing 10 minutes, causing a goal against, winning fewer than half of his faceoffs, and not getting a shot on net. The Leafs are trying to be patient here, but at some point, there has to be a payoff. Moore was not unproductive in his fourth line role and is maybe just more suited to playing that little and still being effective; he’s used to being a 4C.

I think Andreas Johnsson would not only be a good addition to the fourth line but also would be a nice player to bump on the power play in place of Leo Komarov, adding a more offensive threat in the middle of the ice on the Matthews unit. It could be a nice adjustment/new wrinkle.

I think we can talk about matchups and special teams strategy and all these different X’s and O’s until we are blue in the face, but the team as a whole did not play well and they are not going to win this series with efforts like that. There were simply a lot of passengers on the night, which is disappointing considering this is their second year in the playoffs. I expect a response effort in Game Two.
Toronto Maple Leafs Playoff Notebook: Special Teams the Difference in Game 1

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

No he isn't but he's a pain in the neck to take a shift against if the Leafs are on the forecheck.

The Leafs had a 2-0 record against the Bruins with Martin in the lineup this season. He averaged 6 hits in those wins. He would add something for the Bruins to contend with.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Precisely. special team won Bruins the game last night. Our PP needs to have different looks; can't keep on repeating the same thing.

If our PP does the same crap in the 2nd game (assuming we get any); then our PP coach needs to take the blame
Actually I thought our PP did really well, there was just a couple of near misses that easily could have gone in and changed the game. You can't expect them to score on every opportunity.

Did they get concussions? Nope. If they did, the penalties would have been called.
Wrong. The ref would have no idea if the player was concussed or not and cannot make a call based on that.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
No he isn't but he's a pain in the neck to take a shift against if the Leafs are on the forecheck.

The Leafs had a 2-0 record against the Bruins with Martin in the lineup this season. He averaged 6 hits in those wins. He would add something for the Bruins to contend with.

True.

No harm in trying.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Actually I thought our PP did really well, there was just a couple of near misses that easily could have gone in and changed the game. You can't expect them to score on every opportunity.

Bottom line is that our special teams killed us last game (PP or PK) however you want to classify that. Bruins scored on their opportunities we didn't on the powperplay. it is as simple as that

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Bottom line is that our special teams killed us last game (PP or PK) however you want to classify that. Bruins scored on their opportunities we didn't on the powperplay. it is as simple as that
Yup that is accurate. Take away their 2 PP goals and add our 2 PP missed chances and it's a 3-3 game.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
And, if you want any indication that people over react around here, the fact that the "bum" Martin, whom nobody had any time for, is suddenly the key to victory, well, I mean.....

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Kadri hit was bad. I don’t think he meant it to go like that. The guy falls for no reason with like .5 seconds before contact. It sucks that he will get a game. The 5 and a game should be part of it. I mean he already missed half a game.

It’s not good. It looks much worse but it wasn’t a direct contact to the head like doughty who didn’t get ejected

One game is my hope

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Not gonna lie. I don't feel much better today. That game was simply demoralizing. And Kadri does deserve something for that hit. It was vicious.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
And, if you want any indication that people over react around here, the fact that the "bum" Martin, whom nobody had any time for, is suddenly the key to victory, well, I mean.....

Leafs need Wendel Clark right about now, the 1980's version to insert into the line-up against the Bruins.

This looks like its going to be a real physical series, particularly how successful Boston realized they were against Leafs smaller skilled players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad