Post-Game Talk: Well that was fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Leafs need Wendel Clark right about now, the 1980's version to insert into the line-up against the Bruins.

This looks like its going to be a real physical series, particularly how successful Boston realized their were against Leafs smaller skilled players.
We need Ben Smith.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I like dropping Hyman back instead of just moving Komarov beside Marleau.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I'm going to copy paste this from my earlier response:

No it wasn't. This is why Boston wins. We will lose in 4 games if we think this way.
The refs were not calling those penalties. So what? How did that effect the game, other than that it isn't fair. You know what did effect the game? Retaliation. Refs control the game, not the players. This isn't 1984. The league does not allow players to police themselves any more.

A team that plays like Boston should be at least top 5 in penalties called in the regular season right? NOPE. 14th overall in penalties called. It's like when a player complains about a penalty not being called to the ref. Is the ref going to suddenly penalize the player after the play is dead? NOPE. The reality is, the Bruins play dirty, and don't get called for it. Plain and simple. That will not change. Emailing the office, whining to officials, nothing will change that. It's been like that since they won the cup against Vancouver.

It's called composure, it's called keeping your cool, and teams like Boston thrive on their opponents not keeping their cool. That is how they win. Don't like the lack of calls. Suck it up, and definitely don't retaliate.

Truth is, the refs didn't suddenly stop calling obvious penalties on the Bruins last night. They've been doing it all year, and for years. It might not seem fair, but there is nothing we can do to change it other than not falling into the trap. Why do you think Boston has won 3/4 of their games in the last half of the season? IT'S A TRAP.

Kadri's hit on Wingels was over the line but you fight fire with fire if the refs are not calling the cheap shots. You can sit back and not retaliate if the refs are sending them to the box. You can't just sit there and respond with "thank you sir, can I please have another" because you will still lose and you will be worse for it at the end of the game.

Reactions: seventieslord

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Hmmmm...
Interesting.

I'm betting Babcock has a theory that Bergeron will match up against Matthews, hence the switch to make the new Marleau line a little better.

I for one, think that that new Marleau line could be Dynamite.

If Komarov - Matthews can keep Bergeron-Marchand off the scoreboard, than we'll win game 2.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Hmmmm...
Interesting.

I'm betting Babcock has a theory that Bergeron will match up against Matthews, hence the switch to make the new Marleau line a little better.

If Komarov - Matthews can keep Bergeron-Marchand off the scoreboard, than we'll win game 2.

But Komarov shouldn't be relied upon for anything. Komarov is a 4th liner. We will not win game 2 with those lines. If I am wrong then I will gladly eat some crow.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Hmmmm...
Interesting.

Problem is with all the penatly kills that will happen, I bet Matthews and Komarov won't play that much together in the end.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
But Komarov shouldn't be relied upon for anything. Komarov is a 4th liner. We will not win game 2 with those lines. If I am wrong then I will gladly eat some crow.
Hey I'm well aware. Just saying Bab logic might be to try and shut down the Bergeron line with Komarov and Matthews. And in the grand scheme of things....that's probably the best duo to attempt it.

Matthews shadows Bergeron
Komarov pests Marchand
Nylander takes "best friend" Pasta.

Is it perfect? Nope.

Our best chance? Probably..

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
I Would rather have martin next to matty and Willy instead of komarov... I would of liked to have seen
Johnsson-matthews-nylander
Hyman- Marleau- Marner
Jvr- bozak- kapanen
Martin- komarov- brown

Albert Iafrate

Feb 29, 2008
Kadri's hit on Wingels was over the line but you fight fire with fire if the refs are not calling the cheap shots. You can sit back and not retaliate if the refs are sending them to the box. You can't just sit there and respond with "thank you sir, can I please have another" because you will still lose and you will be worse for it at the end of the game.

Why will you lose? Tell that to the Vancouver Canucks. Did fighting fire with fire work for them against the Bruins in the finals? How do you fight fire with fire if the refs only call penalties on your retaliatory fire? What about Kadri's knee on knee with Nash? Did the refs call that one? Kadri is just a less punchable Marchand. He's my "less punchable Marchand", but let's call a spade a spade here.

Do you realize what that Marner sandwich did for the situation on the ice? Two bruins were down, including Chara. The "cheap shot" gave us a great opportunity for an odd man scoring chance. Kadri could have grabbed that loose puck, and thrown it to the opposite point for an open shot. Unfortunately, rather than opportunity, Kadri saw red.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Why will you lose? Tell that to the Vancouver Canucks. Did fighting fire with fire work for them against the Bruins in the finals? How do you fight fire with fire if the refs only call penalties on your retaliatory fire? What about Kadri's knee on knee with Nash? Did the refs call that one? Kadri is just a less punchable Marchand. He's my "less punchable Marchand", but let's call a spade a spade here.

Do you realize what that Marner sandwich did for the situation on the ice? Two bruins were down, including Chara. The "cheap shot" gave us a great opportunity for an odd man scoring chance. Kadri could have grabbed that loose puck, and thrown it to the opposite point for an open shot. Unfortunately, rather than opportunity, Kadri saw red.

Yes, Kadri plays on the edge but he is not anywhere near Marchand's class.

That hit on Marner could have knocked him out of the playoffs. not only the series. You have to stand up to bullies.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

IF the officiating had done their jobs properly (the elbow to marners face) , the play would have been blown dead before kadri made that bad hit.

A offside was absolutely responsible for their 1rst goal, thats on the officiating NOT coach babs

Kadris penalty for that clean hit on wingels behind the net, sorry but just a all round brutal night for the officials.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK

I have read everything said about this, and I have to agree most with this sentiment here. Yours isn't necessarily the best or last word on the subject, just the one that I chose to respond to, finally.

Do we want to win this series or not? It was 4-1, the game was lost at that point, barring a miracle. It was time for a message. Will Wingels come flying at Marner with a vicious elbow again? Probably not. I don't condone the play itself, it was a dirty hit, but it was done to a guy who did something just as dirty two seconds earlier. We can't just sit back and let them throw everything they have at us.

It sucks that Kadri of all players is the one who has to send the message, and it sucks that it ended up looking even dirtier than it was or was intended to be, but this is the team that was built. With Kadri all fired up, Polak getting more minutes than he's worth, and Komarov dressed instead of in the press box, we are basically at "peak grit" for this team, and it's still not enough.

We can put in Martin and the needle will move a little (still not nearly enough, that is), but the skill needle moves back even more. And looking at how the 4th line was mugged last night, I can't imagine swapping Kapanen for Martin.

We are not the Bruins when it comes to toughness and grit. If we win this series it will be on skill. But at the same time, we need to be able to "push back" at least, and show that their tactics aren't effective on us, so that we can win with skill. Kadri's move was one of the only times I saw a Leaf do that last night.

Reactions: ToneDog
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad