Post-Game Talk: Well that was fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Did they get concussions? Nope. If they did, the penalties would have been called. That is how the Bruins operate. Aside from Marchand, they don't destroy you. They just bug you, like a mosquito. Death by a thousand bites. And refs don't care about mosquitos.

so you want to wait until one of the big 3 get concussion before someone responds?

precaution is better than cure

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
so you want to wait until one of the big 3 get concussion before someone responds?

precaution is better than cure
The chance that they get concussed isn't dependent on whether or not we let their game plan rattle us. In fact, might very well go the other way around. You don't think Boston is itching to respond to the Kadri hit?

The safest thing we can do for our guys is try to get emotion out of the game as much as we can. Make them focused on positioning, covering our speed, and making good plays.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Ah Pastrnak I thought that would be in your response. Is his Center one of the best defensive centres in the league and at 32 been there done that? Is his other winger one of the top players in the league? Matthews will be a top player in the league but isn’t yet.

Bozak has a 60% ish zone start in the regular season because they layoffs are tougher he a jvr need an extra 20% taking zone starts from who? Matthews nylander and to a lesser extent marner because being on kadris line probably lowers offensive zone starts

Do you not think that the Bruins' dominance influenced the stats in game one? From zone starts to any corsi related metric?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

He clearly says that Mitch got hit in the head. Apparently the rule seems to be that it’s ok to hit Leafs players on the head; Bruins on the other hand are off limits right refs???

There have been endless debates on this board concerning the "enforcer", "tough guy" whatever on the roster but what do you do if the other team runs you all night and the refs don't call it?
What is the solution then? Kadri could not allow that and I agree. It might cost us but I would have done the same thing as a teammate.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
There have been endless debates on this board concerning the "enforcer", "tough guy" whatever on the roster but what do you do if the other team runs you all night and the refs don't call it?
What is the solution then? Kadri could not allow that and I agree. It might cost us but I would have done the same thing as a teammate.

You'd cheap shot a guy instead of dropping the mitts?

Fun.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Do you not think that the Bruins' dominance influenced the stats in game one? From zone starts to any corsi related metric?

of course it did. And the very limited offensive zone starts we had, HAD to go to bozak's line or they wouldn't have played at all pretty much. Taking away from Matthews line specifically. Im purely talking about zone starts not corsi, I am not saying Mathews, nylander or marner had good games here im saying any opportunity we had to put them in a position to succeed we had to put out bozak and then Matthews couldn't get into the game offensively

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
The chance that they get concussed isn't dependent on whether or not we let their game plan rattle us. In fact, might very well go the other way around. You don't think Boston is itching to respond to the Kadri hit?

The safest thing we can do for our guys is try to get emotion out of the game as much as we can. Make them focused on positioning, covering our speed, and making good plays.

Speed and skill should have been the identity of this team

instead the coach ices the likes of komarov/Plekanec. All the evidence suggests that the duo just plain out SUCKS; and then coach needs to protect the bozak line

so two lines faces the fire. Mattheres line and kadri line; if bozak line while getting heavy offensive zone starts and sheltering not putting up points what can be done then?

If coach really wanted to not get into bruin shenanigans and play speedy/skilled game then he would not have iced komarov-Plekanec.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Its clear that the Leafs let the emotions get the best of them, and that IS their fault

That said, we can also acknowledge that the refs let this game get out of hand.

They called some really chincy penalties on us, IMHO... meanwhile let a lot go... It wasn't clear what was and wasn't a penalty.

For isntance, in the 1st, Kadri go boarded and whacked much worse than his first boarding penalty... as far as Kadri was concerned, they were letting that stuff go.

I'm hoping for a little more consistency and clarity from the reffing going forward.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Well the common theme at work today was that Babcock got outcoached and it wasn’t even close. Your best players need to play, end of story. If we’re on the PK, let Matthews fking PK. He needs to be the leader in ice time.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The score was not reflective of the game at all in my opinion. We beat ourselves moreso than they beat us. Credit to Boston for capitalizing on their chances, but when you play undisciplined and end up short handed for 1/3 of the freaking game, this is what happens.

Losing Kadri is going to hurt. We need a split in Boston and now it's going be even tougher.

I know I'm not the only one who didn't see it that way. I think the score was reflective of the play, but I could see where some are equating effort with play. I think the Leafs put in the effort, but the effort was ineffective.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Speed and skill should have been the identity of this team

instead the coach ices the likes of komarov/Plekanec. All the evidence suggests that the duo just plain out SUCKS; and then coach needs to protect the bozak line

so two lines faces the fire.

If coach really wanted to not get into bruin shenanigans and play speedy/skilled game then he would not have iced komarov-Plekanec.
Agreed. At least about Komarov. Plekanec looked good with speed on both wings, I'd give that a try again before benching him.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Ah Pastrnak I thought that would be in your response. Is his Center one of the best defensive centres in the league and at 32 been there done that? Is his other winger one of the top players in the league? Matthews will be a top player in the league but isn’t yet.

Bozak has a 60% ish zone start in the regular season because they layoffs are tougher he a jvr need an extra 20% taking zone starts from who? Matthews nylander and to a lesser extent marner because being on kadris line probably lowers offensive zone starts

Not sure I follow you logic here?

Are you suggesting the 3rd. line should be getting more d-zone starts?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Well the common theme at work today was that Babcock got outcoached and it wasn’t even close. Your best players need to play, end of story. If we’re on the PK, let Matthews fking PK. He needs to be the leader in ice time.
I've never understood that position. The best PK guys should be playing on the PK, not your biggest name so he can show up on top of the spreadsheet.

Reactions: Mugzy97

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
What if the other guy doesn't drop the mitts and Chara grabs you at the same time?
Did Marner have the chance to drop the mitts on an elbow to the face?

He did after he was elbowed.

If the other guy doesn't drop them, you end up with 2 minutes in the box for roughing.

Instead, you take a gutless run at a defenseless player and cost your team in the process.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Agreed. At least about Komarov. Plekanec looked good with speed on both wings, I'd give that a try again before benching him.

I don't get babcock's game plan

Matthews line and then Kadri line take tough match ups

he expects bozak line to win their competition in a sheltered role;

and he expccts 4th line to be dominant because "vets"

EVIDENCE:
Matthews line and Kadri line take tough match ups
Bozak line doesn't put up points in a sheltered role
4th line has been an absolute FAIL

If babcock goes with the same game plan in the 2nd game; then I don't even know what to say anymore.....

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
I've never understood that position. The best PK guys should be playing on the PK, not your biggest name so he can show up on top of the spreadsheet.

Matthews would be a better pker than anyone we have on the pk. Big, fast, good stick, higher chance to get a short handed goal. Komarov should be in the press box.

Reactions: dsred

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I know I'm not the only one who didn't see it that way. I think the score was reflective of the play, but I could see where some are equating effort with play. I think the Leafs put in the effort, but the effort was ineffective.

The way I see it is we played some of our worst hockey in recent weeks last night, and it was still anyones game up until the 38 minute mark. That in itself is encouraging.

I fully expected our young guys to be overwhelmed, but they'll come around as they get more 'comfortable'. Vets like Plekanec and Hainsey were massive let downs though.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Not sure I follow you logic here?

Are you suggesting the 3rd. line should be getting more d-zone starts?

this current 3rd line? hell no. When they are gone and we use players who have been taught responsibility come up the lineup (Kapanen, Johnsson etc) we wont have to shelter any line as much as 80%. Im basically saying I cant wait until JVR and Bozak are gone, nothing we can do about them this playoffs.

The only way we need to heavily shelter a line next season would be of course if Nyladner were at C, and even then id be confident he would need it less than bozak has

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Oh yeah when we're down 4-1 and 5-1, don't bother to try and stack any lines or even change a couple lines for a more offensive purpose either.

The best teams in the league do though :laugh: You don't think there's a time or a place to try someone like Marner or Matthews on the PK down 4-1 in a playoff game??

Koolaid Krew at its best.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto

Plekanec has never looked good as a Leaf.

If there happened to be a night where the 4th line seemed faster / better it's because they played a weaker regular season opponent.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Matthews would be a better pker than anyone we have on the pk. Big, fast, good stick, higher chance to get a short handed goal. Komarov should be in the press box.
Well considering he hasn't even really practiced on the PK, I doubt it.

Either way, Matthews should be on the PK in that case because he is the best option. Not to make the spreadsheet look good afterwards.

The best teams in the league do though :laugh: You don't think there's a time or a place to try someone like Marner on the PK down 4-1 in a playoff game??

Koolaid Krew at its best.
So you miss the point of my post by a mile, and then throw in a childish insult?

What happened to the IPS that used to be a reasonable poster?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Well considering he hasn't even really practiced on the PK, I doubt it.

Either way, Matthews should be on the PK in that case because he is the best option. Not to make the spreadsheet look good afterwards.

So you miss the point of my post by a mile, and then throw in a childish insult?

What happened to the IPS that used to be a reasonable poster?
Side effects of koolaid appear to be reasonable thought and not being so quick to panic.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
He did after he was elbowed.

If the other guy doesn't drop them, you end up with 2 minutes in the box for roughing.

Instead, you take a gutless run at a defenseless player and cost your team in the process.
So when Marchand hit Johansson in the head with his stick and doesn't fight, you take the 2 minutes for pushing him and talking tough. What if Marner was out for 4 games now?
If Martin and his fighting isn't a deterrent, that's the solution for cheap shots against us? When the refs aren't calling it? How many cheap shot, 2 minutes in the box do you take? How many PP do you give Boston for non calls?

Reactions: ToneDog
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad