Post-Game Talk: Well that was fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I don't think Kadri's intent was to take a penalty on the play, but I'm not sure the intent was to separate Wingels from the puck either.

As far as I am concerned Kadri did what Dougie; Tucker; Wendel; Domi would have done when one of our skilled player - who is small and is still young- is elbowed in the head and the refs are blind to it.

Reactions: Rogie and ToneDog

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Bruins did their homework on leafs PP they had it figured out

Unit 1
They completely blocked off Marner playmaking; Bozak never makes plays that left Rielly's point shot or Marner taking shots/passing hitting Bruins

Unit 2
They completely blocked off Matthews-Nylander cross ice pass; and then had a guy on Matthews and Nylander; only Gardiner had open lane and he chose to not shoot; except once where he hit the post

Yep, said to my son this morning, Marner may have to be a decoy because they know he runs the PP and he was ineffective, and yes there was no open lanes for Matthews-Nylander.

Coach has to address this.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Yep, said to my son this morning, Marner may have to be a decoy because they know he runs the PP and he was ineffective, and yes there was no open lanes for Matthews-Nylander.

Coach has to address this.

Precisely. special team won Bruins the game last night. Our PP needs to have different looks; can't keep on repeating the same thing.

If our PP does the same crap in the 2nd game (assuming we get any); then our PP coach needs to take the blame

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I applaud Kadri's efforts because something was needed. Also said that Leafs would be in trouble if refs kept their whistles in their pockets. Unfortunately when they used them they called weak penalties. The refs got a big fat F for their efforts last night from me. The missed offside was icing on the cake after the weak penalty on JVR. These are the playoffs. The players up their games, so should the zebras.

If something was needed.... drop the mitts.

Head shots to defenseless players have no place in the game.

Reactions: ULF_55

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
what the hell are you talking about?

28baq1.jpg

4th line, Matthews line and Rielly were out to lunch last night.

How the F does babcock continue to play komarov-plek on the 4th line is BEYOND me

Because jvr and bozak need crazy sheltering it means our legit offensive talent are gettin 22% (Matthews/nylander) and 33% (marner) zone starts. Having them on the team throws all the balance off. Matthews and nylander need to be in the 40’s to play to their strenghts. 80% for the bozak line is crazy,

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
As far as I am concerned Kadri did what Dougie; Tucker; Wendel; Domi would have done when one of our skilled player - who is small and is still young- is elbowed in the head and the refs are blind to it.

If only it was 1993 ...

It has been said you shouldn't have to fight over every hit you make, but when you take liberties you should expect to pay the price. Drop the gloves and engage, that's the only headshot allowed today.

Albert Iafrate

Feb 29, 2008
Babcock doesn’t challenge the offside; and didn’t even use his time out

Kadri boarder, Willy and Mitch both hit in the head with elbows - refs no call

Something had to give. Kadri tool matters itnto his own hands. Wingel after elbowing Marner fell; but Kadri was already committed to the hit; Naz is not a seer he didn’t know that wingel would be on his ass after elbowing Mitch

No it didn't. This is why Boston wins. We will lose in 4 games if we think this way.
The refs were not calling those penalties. So what? How did that effect the game, other than that it isn't fair. You know what did effect the game? Retaliation. Refs control the game, not the players. This isn't 1984. The league does not allow players to police themselves any more.

A team that plays like Boston should be at least top 5 in penalties called in the regular season right? NOPE. 14th overall in penalties called. It's like when a player complains about a penalty not being called to the ref. Is the ref going to suddenly penalize the player after the play is dead? NOPE. The reality is, the Bruins play dirty, and don't get called for it. Plain and simple. That will not change. Emailing the office, whining to officials, nothing will change that. It's been like that since they won the cup against Vancouver.

It's called composure, it's called keeping your cool, and teams like Boston thrive on their opponents not keeping their cool. That is how they win. Don't like the lack of calls. Suck it up, and definitely don't retaliate.

Reactions: ULF_55

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
hence matt martin or komarov leading the leafs in hits over a full season. They are a step behind skilled players and therefore have to hit them. The hitting/physicality narrative really annoys me. their PP beat us, or our PK cost us along with stupid penalties (kadri, and too many men penalties) physicality has nothing to do with those things. 5 on 5 the game was 2-1 we knew the pp of boston was really good
Agree, it wasn’t physicality that was the difference. Honestly, we just have to adjust, and I think we will. People need to relax, we can play with these guys, we just have to execute. The PP was the difference last night.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
LOL no, I wasn't, I was telling those people they should give their heads a shake. You have me confused with someone else.

Are you sure? I seem to remember you coming at me in virtually every thread about how I was too high on the Bruins.

Apologies if i have, indeed, confused you with another. Dont think i have though

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Because jvr and bozak need crazy sheltering it means our legit offensive talent are gettin 22% (Matthews/nylander) and 33% (marner) zone starts. Having them on the team throws all the balance off. Matthews and nylander need to be in the 40’s to play to their strenghts. 80% for the bozak line is crazy,

Didn't matter in the regular season series with the Bruins.

Bruins shut down our stars. That's a question they can answer after they look in the mirror. Blaming Bozak for being a 3C or Komarov for being a 4th liner as other have done is ridiculous.

If Matthews, Marner, Nylander and even Kadri want to be the core and lead this team... step up and lead.

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
Bruins did their homework on leafs PP they had it figured out

Unit 1
They completely blocked off Marner playmaking; Bozak never makes plays that left Rielly's point shot or Marner taking shots/passing hitting Bruins

Unit 2
They completely blocked off Matthews-Nylander cross ice pass; and then had a guy on Matthews and Nylander; only Gardiner had open lane and he chose to not shoot; except once where he hit the post

Bozak was also trying to make plays on the PP when he should know that he's a scrub and just give the puck to Rielly/Marner.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
If only it was 1993 ...

It has been said you shouldn't have to fight over every hit you make, but when you take liberties you should expect to pay the price. Drop the gloves and engage, that's the only headshot allowed today.

May be you missed it from what I remember in the game last night:

• Marner hit in the head twice
  • Nylander hit in the head twice
  • Kadri boarded face first; hit in the numbers
But I do see your point; Kadri could have dropped the gloves with Wengel

Albert Iafrate

Feb 29, 2008
I applaud Kadri's efforts because something was needed. Also said that Leafs would be in trouble if refs kept their whistles in their pockets. Unfortunately when they used them they called weak penalties. The refs got a big fat F for their efforts last night from me. The missed offside was icing on the cake after the weak penalty on JVR. These are the playoffs. The players up their games, so should the zebras.

I'm going to copy paste this from my earlier response:

No it wasn't. This is why Boston wins. We will lose in 4 games if we think this way.
The refs were not calling those penalties. So what? How did that effect the game, other than that it isn't fair. You know what did effect the game? Retaliation. Refs control the game, not the players. This isn't 1984. The league does not allow players to police themselves any more.

A team that plays like Boston should be at least top 5 in penalties called in the regular season right? NOPE. 14th overall in penalties called. It's like when a player complains about a penalty not being called to the ref. Is the ref going to suddenly penalize the player after the play is dead? NOPE. The reality is, the Bruins play dirty, and don't get called for it. Plain and simple. That will not change. Emailing the office, whining to officials, nothing will change that. It's been like that since they won the cup against Vancouver.

It's called composure, it's called keeping your cool, and teams like Boston thrive on their opponents not keeping their cool. That is how they win. Don't like the lack of calls. Suck it up, and definitely don't retaliate.

Truth is, the refs didn't suddenly stop calling obvious penalties on the Bruins last night. They've been doing it all year, and for years. It might not seem fair, but there is nothing we can do to change it other than not falling into the trap. Why do you think Boston has won 3/4 of their games in the last half of the season? IT'S A TRAP.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Didn't matter in the regular season series with the Bruins.

Bruins shut down our stars. That's a question they can answer after they look in the mirror. Blaming Bozak for being a 3C or Komarov for being a 4th liner as other have done is ridiculous.

If Matthews, Marner, Nylander and even Kadri want to be the core and lead this team... step up and lead.

If they want to be our core they have to step up now or not be? They are 20/21 yes old but this playoff if they do not step up we have no core?. If bozak and jvr weren’t taking the lion share of offensive zone starts perhaps nylander and Matthews could do what they do best that is scoring

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
The score was not reflective of the game at all in my opinion. We beat ourselves moreso than they beat us. Credit to Boston for capitalizing on their chances, but when you play undisciplined and end up short handed for 1/3 of the freaking game, this is what happens.

Losing Kadri is going to hurt. We need a split in Boston and now it's going be even tougher.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

I wanted JVR/Bozak traded for someone who doesn't need sheltering so there could be balance and MNMs can get more offensive zone starts. I was yelling about in the TDL thread; and everybody was telling me I am crazy.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Agree, it wasn’t physicality that was the difference. Honestly, we just have to adjust, and I think we will. People need to relax, we can play with these guys, we just have to execute. The PP was the difference last night.
the PP was a big difference, but it wasn't the difference. We got killed at 5v5

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
No it didn't. This is why Boston wins. We will lose in 4 games if we think this way.

So if Marner/Nylandr/Matthews get concussions from the likes of scrubs like wingel; its ok just suck it up

right?

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
I'm going to copy paste this from my earlier response:

No it wasn't. This is why Boston wins. We will lose in 4 games if we think this way.

Truth is, the refs didn't suddenly stop calling obvious penalties on the Bruins last night. They've been doing it all year, and for years. It might not seem fair, but there is nothing we can do to change it other than not falling into the trap. Why do you think Boston has won 3/4 of their games in the last half of the season? IT'S A TRAP.

The Bruins don't care about Wingels either. If Kadri is going to hit somebody then hit somebody good.

The fact that he is retaliating against a plug goes to show how poorly the team was prepared for this game.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
If they want to be our core they have to step up now or not be? They are 20/21 yes old but this playoff if they do not step up we have no core?. If bozak and jvr weren’t taking the lion share of offensive zone starts perhaps nylander and Matthews could do what they do best that is scoring

They are 20/21 and leading the team in scoring all regular season with Bozak and JVR as teammates.

Pastrnak is 21. He showed up. 3 points. Leads his team.

It's a long series. Lots of time but it's time to play.

Albert Iafrate

Feb 29, 2008
So if Marner/Nylandr/Matthews get concussions from the likes of scrubs like wingel; its ok just suck it up

right?

Did they get concussions? Nope. If they did, the penalties would have been called. That is how the Bruins operate. Aside from Marchand, they don't destroy you. They just bug you, like a mosquito. Death by a thousand bites. And refs don't care about mosquitos.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Ah Pastrnak I thought that would be in your response. Is his Center one of the best defensive centres in the league and at 32 been there done that? Is his other winger one of the top players in the league? Matthews will be a top player in the league but isn’t yet.

Bozak has a 60% ish zone start in the regular season because they layoffs are tougher he a jvr need an extra 20% taking zone starts from who? Matthews nylander and to a lesser extent marner because being on kadris line probably lowers offensive zone starts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad