Post-Game Talk: Well that was fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
we can't get into a game of puck battles with Bruins. this is why we lost. it is entirely a babcock coaching system which unfortunately does not play well against bruins playoff system. you can blame goaltending pk best players whatever it will not change the outcome unless the breakout system is fixed. babcock earn your multi millions.

So, have a system all here based on the type of players the Leafs have, finish with the 7th most points in the league
Lose 1 game in the playoffs to a team with the 4th most points in the league
Completely change your system

Seems like a winning strategy

Wow

Reactions: Pi and Raging Bull

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
They were finishing a lot of checks. Not sure why you were shocked.

Leafs lost because of bad goaltending, poor discipline and terrible PK. It's really that simple.

It had nothing to do with physicality or being intimidated. That's pure horse poop.

Not true at all

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
I'll admit I was disappointed but c'mon man, it's only Game 1 --they call it a series for a reason.

After last night I see Babcock will be making the necessary adjustments and will know how to get them thinking/playing the right way which is why he's a great coach.

Reactions: Mugzy97

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
So, have a system all here based on the type of players the Leafs have, finish with the 7th most points in the league
Lose 1 game in the playoffs to a team with the 4th most points in the league
Completely change your system

So much this.

3082646.gif

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Babcock doesn’t challenge the offside; and didn’t even use his time out

Kadri boarder, Willy and Mitch both hit in the head with elbows - refs no call

Something had to give. Kadri tool matters itnto his own hands. Wingel after elbowing Marner fell; but Kadri was already committed to the hit; Naz is not a seer he didn’t know that wingel would be on his ass after elbowing Mitch

Once "evil" Kadri arrived, it was only a matter of time before he hurt somebody. Push back was needed given Bruins (especially Backes and Marchand) rough play but you can't go over the line. You have to keep your emotions in check.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
They were finishing a lot of checks. Not sure why you were shocked.

Leafs lost because of bad goaltending, poor discipline and terrible PK. It's really that simple.

It had nothing to do with physicality or being intimidated. That's pure horse poop.
I was shocked because it appeared they were out hit, I doubt I'm the only one.
I didn't mention that it was the reason they lost

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Once "evil" Kadri arrived, it was only a matter of time before he hurt somebody. Push back was needed given Bruins (especially Backes and Marchand) rough play but you can't go over the line. You have to keep your emotions in check.
It was a bad target for him too. Nobody cares about Wingels, if you want to make an impact you take your run at a star.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
It is.
I get the sense that the B's fans are a little worried, trying really hard to convince themselves that that was a dominant win.
Yeah it really wasn't. A couple of PP goals, an offside goal, a few chances we missed by inches or less (Matthews, Marner, Gardiner post). This wasn't a 5-1 game.

Reactions: OddyOh

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
He wasn't good. He wasn't the only reason we lost, but a solid performance has that game tied IMO.

2nd and 3rd goals off bad rebounds, 4th on a misread where he didn't poke, 5th was clearly terrible.

2nd goal was completely blown coverage by Hainsey, not Andersens fault
3rd goal was a bullet top corner, not saving that one
4th goal was unlucky
5th goals was awful

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
This series could get nasty..could see boston being even dirtier than usual the next game.

Torn on whether martin is a good idea or not. Would be nice if he was slightly better at hockey.

there is no doubt in my mind:

With Kadri suspended

Martin-Matthews-Marner
Johnsson-Nylander-Hyman
Leivo-Marleau-Kapanen
JVR-Bozak-Brown

With Kadri in the line up
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Martin-Kadri-Marner
Johnsson-Marleau-Kapanen
JVR-Bozak-Brown

Off with Komarov-Plek they aint getting it done. Stop the nonsense already.

Babcock's hard on for the vets while skilled players are being press boxed is BS

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
In terms of team toughness and physicality the Leafs are bringing a knife to a gun fight with the Bruins.

The symptoms you listed are not easily overcome if strength is the problem.. Lost puck battles all over the ice due to to being outmatched and out muscled physically isn't fixable its a team design flaw..

The only chance Leafs have is to attempt to dictate the game turning it into a speed and skill match, but the Bruins will continue to attempt to force their will on the Leafs physically.

I think the Leafs biggest issue, is on defense. Now it wasn't a huge factor last night because the entire team was the issue. Kind of the tortoise and the hare, scenario no matter how fast the Leafs skated they didn't get anywhere, and the tortoise just kept moving along to the finish line. But back to the defense, they really have a bunch of middle d-men of various levels. Getting points doesn't make you a top defenseman, or Gotisbehere is the 4th. best d-man in the league and Tyson Barrie is a #1. Hainsey looks like he's out of gas, Rielly still has a step to take, Gardiner shows intensity every few games, Zaitsev, Polak, Carrick are 3rd. pairing defenders, and Dermott is a rookie.

The good news is their future core is under 25, and it appears they have some assets fermenting in the minors.

Now, tomorrow they could return with a purpose and their offense could dictate the game, and cover up those flaws as it has throughout most of the season.

I'm hoping Grundstrum and Korshkov can bring some sandpaper, grit, determination with size to the game as early as next year. Marleau has that size and determination, but his odometer is well over 200k, and he's not the same player as he was a decade ago, no matter how many empty net goals he scores after an ice bath.

The good thing about the game last night is there wasn't a huge let down, nor a tease that they might win it. So the emotional cost was low.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Why? A lot of times it's indicative of time spent in your own end, not a real statement on who was more physical. Most of the time the team carrying the play has less hits.
Yeah I get that. I guess I just saw far more instances of Leafs not finishing hits than I did the B's.
It's not really a matter that I care much about, just found it surprising.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
Honestly the officiating last night was kind of baffling. They were in between regular season and playoffs, people getting their mouths busted on highsticks and stuff like that went uncalled and dinky calls like the JVR one, and the trip on Kadri, hooking on Nylander were called. Make up your mind.

Reactions: OddyOh and Pi

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I think the Leafs biggest issue, is on defense. Now it wasn't a huge factor last night because the entire team was the issue. Kind of the tortoise and the hare, scenario no matter how fast the Leafs skated they didn't get anywhere, and the tortoise just kept moving along to the finish line. But back to the defense, they really have a bunch of middle d-men of various levels. Getting points doesn't make you a top defenseman, or Gotisbehere is the 4th. best d-man in the league and Tyson Barrie is a #1. Hainsey looks like he's out of gas, Rielly still has a step to take, Gardiner shows intensity every few games, Zaitsev, Polak, Carrick are 3rd. pairing defenders, and Dermott is a rookie.

The good news is their future core is under 25, and it appears they have some assets fermenting in the minors.

Now, tomorrow they could return with a purpose and their offense could dictate the game, and cover up those flaws as it has throughout most of the season.

I'm hoping Grundstrum and Korshkov can bring some sandpaper, grit, determination with size to the game as early as next year. Marleau has that size and determination, but his odometer is well over 200k, and he's not the same player as he was a decade ago, no matter how many empty net goals he scores after an ice bath.

The good thing about the game last night is there wasn't a huge let down, nor a tease that they might win it. So the emotional cost was low.
what are you talking about? it was 1-1 and the Leafs were outplaying them at the halfway point, and then they fell apart completely.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Honestly the officiating last night was kind of baffling. They were in between regular season and playoffs, people getting their mouths busted on highsticks and stuff like that went uncalled and dinky calls like the JVR one, and the trip on Kadri, hooking on Nylander were called. Make up your mind.
I thought the Marleau call was really bad. Did they show another view of it? Seemed the B went down very easy there.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

Refs get paid to call the game by the book and not in favour of one team. They didn't call headshots and boarding on the bruins while Leafs players were getting illegally hit all over the place.

Someone had to take matters into their own hand; Kadri put his hand up. It is as simple as that

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
2nd goal was completely blown coverage by Hainsey, not Andersens fault
3rd goal was a bullet top corner, not saving that one
4th goal was unlucky
5th goals was awful
2nd - was created off a bad rebound where he forced him players to stay pinned on their end. Hainsey blows coverage (and Polak isnt in the lane like he should be), but a cover gets fresh skaters on.
3rd - bullet top corner... Off a muffin he turns right back to Marchand instead of covering. this leads to the one-time.
4th - unlucky, but preventable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad