Welcome to the new HF! (Want to try a dark background? See post #145)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
The area around the avatars turned bright white again. Why are the people in charge of this site insistent on making everything an ugly and ridiculously blinding color?

I like the new skin, actually. It's easy to tell the posts apart, and it's no longer bright white.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I'll give it a test, thought I did this already.

Edit: Works just fine.

Hit reply to post and copy and paste.

Why the hell isn't it working for me then? I know it used to be working.

So it'll paste it... you just can't see it - or at least I can't in FF. Still... WTF.

And no, it's not a text color... it's just not there and cannot be selected.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Why the hell isn't it working for me then? I know it used to be working.

So it'll paste it... you just can't see it - or at least I can't in FF. Still... WTF.

And no, it's not a text color... it's just not there and cannot be selected.

Well, I'm in Chrome. Could be that.

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
I actually like the new site on iOS. Looks about 10 years more modern than the old site. I also don’t have any ads at all. I never used the mobile version on the old site, just the desktop version on my phone. I am not an advanced user though. I don’t post very often. I mostly just browse.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
The area around the avatars turned bright white again. Why are the people in charge of this site insistent on making everything an ugly and ridiculously blinding color?

Yeah, this is annoying. Can't see the join date, post count, likes, trophy points, location because it's so bright. They should make that shit as black as you can get, then the white box a darker color that's easy on the eyes. Bright things give me headaches due to sitting on my ass all the time in front of my PC gaming or surfing the web.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
What's happening is that the default skin (and many other things) are being tweaked as we go along here. So when that happens, it tends to screw with the code for the Stylish extension, creating things like the white boxes in the user info. The poster who created the dark scheme will have to update it as well, which will happen when they have time to do so.

Here are some other skins that can be taken for a testdrive in Stylish as well:

https://userstyles.org/styles/148942/bruins-light-grey (Basically same gold accents as the Pens)
https://userstyles.org/styles/148883/hfboards-dark-theme (Similar to the original posted in this thread)

If you do install multiple skins for the site, make sure to go into the Stylish options and make sure you only have one of them activated at a time, otherwise you're probably going to get some funky, unreadable results.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I got the HFboards Dark Theme and the BBA HFBoards ones running. The Dark Theme one gets rid of the bright white when you're browsing the main board that shows all the forums that the BBA HFBoards one keeps.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
...and for those who have the original dark scheme installed and are feeling very impatient, you can bring up the Stylish dashboard and click edit (the pencil icon).

The code for the extension will pop up. Highlight this segment:
.messageUserBlock .extraUserInfo
{
background: rgba(255,255,255,.05);
}

...and replace it with this:
.messageUserBlock
{
background:rgb(0, 0, 0);
}
.messageUserBlock .extraUserInfo
{
background:rgb(0, 0, 0);
}

You can change those rgb values to 51, 51, 51 if you prefer gray boxes instead of black.

Last edited:
Reactions: 66-30-33

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
I got the HFboards Dark Theme and the BBA HFBoards ones running. The Dark Theme one gets rid of the bright white when you're browsing the main board that shows all the forums that the BBA HFBoards one keeps.

Good stuff. Might as well experiment with things while the site is still being tinkered with.

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
This is just brutal.

I know change is always unwelcome and I'm sure the powers that be have the attitude that "people will get used to it", which sucks.

I've been online since AOL and been through countless forum changes and I agree with RG, this is by far the worst.

I really want to help with GDT's again this year, but I just don't see myself doing it with this awful format and the difficulty using it. I nearly signed up for opening night but realized I had a schedule conflict which will cause me to miss the game. I hate missing the game, but I'm happy I didn't sign up.

I'm not saying that to be a prick, it just is what it is. This change needs, well, changed.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
What's happening is that the default skin (and many other things) are being tweaked as we go along here. So when that happens, it tends to screw with the code for the Stylish extension, creating things like the white boxes in the user info. The poster who created the dark scheme will have to update it as well, which will happen when they have time to do so.

Here are some other skins that can be taken for a testdrive in Stylish as well:

https://userstyles.org/styles/148942/bruins-light-grey (Basically same gold accents as the Pens)
https://userstyles.org/styles/148883/hfboards-dark-theme (Similar to the original posted in this thread)

If you do install multiple skins for the site, make sure to go into the Stylish options and make sure you only have one of them activated at a time, otherwise you're probably going to get some funky, unreadable results.

The dark theme is too much of train wreck to even think about using. The Bruins one is a step in the right direction, but it has some big flaws. Right now I'm replying n a text box with a dark grey background and black text. It's next to impossible to read what I'm typing. I still dislike the right panel being as long as the Atlantic ocean for no reason and the avatars next to the thread titles are still too much of an unnecessary distraction on top of a lot of other unnecessary distractions, especially if they're animated.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
The dark theme is too much of train wreck to even think about using. The Bruins one is a step in the right direction, but it has some big flaws. Right now I'm replying n a text box with a dark grey background and black text. It's next to impossible to read what I'm typing. I still dislike the right panel being as long as the Atlantic ocean for no reason and the avatars next to the thread titles are still too much of an unnecessary distraction on top of a lot of other unnecessary distractions, especially if they're animated.
Right sidebar can be toggled off on the home page only. It's the four horizontal bar icon next to quick navigation. The needless "thread starter" avatars can be removed if you add a few lines to a style mod:
Code:
.discussionListItem .posterAvatar {
     display: none;
}

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
The HF Boards Classic theme is pretty solid. Fixes almost everything I've been complaining about, it's almost just like the old board.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
The site is even worse during games where you have to constantly refresh. Takes twice as long to reload and doesn't jump to the first unread post. Just awful decision to go to this dumpster fire of a site.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
82D1AA2C-41DF-41AE-88A6-AD215D853E19.png

Top alignment is off on mobile. See how my avatar is overhanging and you don't fully see the alerts button etc?

This has only just happened.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Has anyone elses gone weird?

All zoomed in and takes ages to scroll a page?
Unread post anchors recently started redirecting to the top of page for me in Chrome, breaking go to first unread. They slimmed down the nav tabs earlier and I didn't notice anything else.
Edit: Clearing browser data and browser restart seemed to solve my issues.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad