Post-Game Talk: Welcome back hockey caps hurricanes

Status
Not open for further replies.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Not sure what that hell is this NHL ready nonsense regarding Johan. From a prospect evaluation aspect I definitely upped my my personal valuation (internets subjective of course) from a prospect toolset perspective.

Bowey looked good regardless of the goal.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Relax people, one person said near NHL ready, which is clearly a little overexcitement. Well done Bowey and his Millhaus approved questionable toolbox. ;)

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Bowey is ready, it will be a numbers/waiver game for him.

I like Orlov a lot but part of me was hoping he would sign in the KHL just so Bowey could be assured of a spot.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Bowey is ready, it will be a numbers/waiver game for him.

I like Orlov a lot but part of me was hoping he would sign in the KHL just so Bowey could be assured of a spot.

No rush. Depth. Orlov has a 1 year. Bowey is the effective 7 playing in Hershey with Chorney as the 8 taking NHL scratches and getting occasional games. I imagine if there is an multi game injury on d that Bowey would get many to most of those fill in games.

If/when Orlov leaves after this year. Bowey steps in with Schmidt having more experience by then.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Relax people, one person said near NHL ready, which is clearly a little overexcitement. Well done Bowey and his Millhaus approved questionable toolbox. ;)

Millhaus is far from the only one to question Bowey's toolbox. That has been a frequent concern among people who watched Bowey in the WHL. He has typically struggled whenever he moves up to a higher level of competition. If you dig up old threads about the Memorial Cup playoffs, WJHC, or rookie tournaments he played in, you'll see some of that sentiment there. It's part of the reason Mann took it slow with Bowey last year, playing him in reduced minutes, giving him nights off, and not overwhelming him with powerplay duty so he could focus on simplifying his game.

The hope here is that his time spend in a pro system in Hershey has helped Bowey grow into a more complete player who can execute at NHL speed. They were very deliberate in how they played him last year, with the hope of doing just that. I think it's likely that Bowey starts in Hershey at the very least, and gets to play a bigger role there than he did last year.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I just saw the highlights and I can't imagine how the hivemind (lowercase) here would have reacted if Orlov made the same play Orpik made resulting in the 2v1 that led to the Hurricanes' first goal. And he went out of position again later in the game to make a hit but Carolina didn't score on it.

Orpik is just as "risky" as Orlov defensively with none of the offensive tools.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Millhaus is far from the only one to question Bowey's toolbox. That has been a frequent concern among people who watched Bowey in the WHL. He has typically struggled whenever he moves up to a higher level of competition. If you dig up old threads about the Memorial Cup playoffs, WJHC, or rookie tournaments he played in, you'll see some of that sentiment there. It's part of the reason Mann took it slow with Bowey last year, playing him in reduced minutes, giving him nights off, and not overwhelming him with powerplay duty so he could focus on simplifying his game.

The hope here is that his time spend in a pro system in Hershey has helped Bowey grow into a more complete player who can execute at NHL speed. They were very deliberate in how they played him last year, with the hope of doing just that. I think it's likely that Bowey starts in Hershey at the very least, and gets to play a bigger role there than he did last year.

Big eye roll, but of course I expected you to disagree, it's what you do around here. I'm guessing many many players who went on to have long successful NHL careers have struggled at times upon promotion to tougher competition. Is the guy a prime prospect or not? He appears to these eyes to be that. Did he struggle badly in his first season as a pro? Not that I heard. He's a rookie so of course they're protecting him, and he had at least a decent season by most accounts I've heard/read. All this talk of a suspect toolbox is silly IMO. Way oversold. Totally agree he starts in Hershey. He's getting the Alzner treatment of a sorts.

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
"Not that you heard"

If you're basing your opinions on Bowey only on what you've heard, and not what you've seen, then your opinion on this particular matter likely isn't worth very much.

maybam

Mar 30, 2010
I just saw the highlights and I can't imagine how the hivemind (lowercase) here would have reacted if Orlov made the same play Orpik made resulting in the 2v1 that led to the Hurricanes' first goal. And he went out of position again later in the game to make a hit but Carolina didn't score on it.

Orpik did not have a good night. I also recall Staal straight up beating him wide and getting right to the net.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

This just in hitters make risky plays. I'd imagine the reaction on any big blunder should be similar if you're unbiased.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
"Not that you heard"

If you're basing your opinions on Bowey only on what you've heard, and not what you've seen, then your opinion on this particular matter likely isn't worth very much.

Yes, as in around here the posters that watch Hershey regularly. Those have value to me. The articles I've read on him and Hershey are readily available.....didn't realize I had to explain the Internet to you....my bad.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Let those posters post their opinion on him then, rather than your selectively groomed opinion of him based on what you've read.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Oh please you don't get to decide who has an opionion and who's is valuable. Get over yourself....people disagree with you plenty around here. My opinion is he's a bonafide NHL player soon. Sorry to make such outlandish claims oh mighty Hockey Nostradamus. If he has such an alarmingly bad 'toolbox', did he show that last year with alarming regularity? I saw about 5 Hershey games....I'm guessing you watched every game and closely charted all prospects? :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille