Post-Game Talk: Welcome back hockey caps hurricanes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2008
Wow even for a preseason game that crowd is pathetic. When I used to go last year there were at least people in the lower bowl. Like hundreds of people. You can see like 10 people that's it.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Wow even for a preseason game that crowd is pathetic. When I used to go last year there were at least people in the lower bowl. Like hundreds of people. You can see like 10 people that's it.

during the wilson interview? that was at 6;30

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
After a few months of no Caps hockey I forget how much of a homer tire-pumper Locker is

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
vet lines give one up late in the period.

show the kids how it's done

The Wicker Man

Cup or Shut Up
Nov 25, 2015
Russia
Really like Lucas Johansen, he's already has NHL level hockey sense, smart positioning, excellent skating. Needs to get more mature and physically strong to enter Caps roster next season.
On the other hand, hard to admit that Brooks Orpik is becoming a bargage. Of course, it's only a preseason game, however...

Last edited:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Really like Lucas Johansen, he's already has NHL level hockey, smart positioning, excellent skating. Needs to get more mature and physically strong to enter Caps roster next season.
On the other hand, hard to admit that Brooks Orpik is becoming a bargage. Of course, it's only a preseason game, however...

Yes, Johansen is nearly NHL ready. He's a bit raw in certain aspects but I'd focus on developing him this year and then ditch Orpik next offseason to make room for him. Orpik looks as bad as he looked last year towards the end of the season. He steps up for a hit at the red line, misses and it gave the Canes a 2vs1.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think he has a good chance to make the team. He just has to beat Chorney for that last spot.

he is not competing with Chorney. Chorney is a backup and his job is to take scratches and be able to jump in the lineup and be decent when there is an opening,

Bowey is waiver excempt and would only be recalled to play.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
he is not competing with Chorney. Chorney is a backup and his job is to take scratches and be able to jump in the lineup and be decent when there is an opening,

Bowey is waiver excempt and would only be recalled to play.

From what I saw tonight, I'd say Bowey is nearly NHL ready, he'd be ready to make the jump this year.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I wasn't nearly as impressed with Johansen as this thread was, apparently. He did show his potential to be a top 4 defensemen in the NHL someday, but I didn't see the NHL readiness that others did. Particularly, I had some concerns with his neutral zone play. He got caught in no man's land a couple times, and ended up having to turn his body to race back into the defensive zone. While the hustle and skating he showed there was encouraging, defensemen shouldn't have to be back checking behind the play. When it came to the neutral zone, he struggled to keep the play in front of him.

That's something that can be fixed (and it's something other juniors struggle with), but it does tell me he needs more time to continue to hone his game before he plays in the NHL. This year in the CHL and next year in the AHL, and then we'll see where he stands.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I wasn't nearly as impressed with Johansen as this thread was, apparently. He did show his potential to be a top 4 defensemen in the NHL someday, but I didn't see the NHL readiness that others did. Particularly, I had some concerns with his neutral zone play. He got caught in no man's land a couple times, and ended up having to turn his body to race back into the defensive zone. While the hustle and skating he showed there was encouraging, defensemen shouldn't have to be back checking behind the play. When it came to the neutral zone, he struggled to keep the play in front of him.

That's something that can be fixed (and it's something other juniors struggle with), but it does tell me he needs more time to continue to hone his game before he plays in the NHL. This year in the CHL and next year in the AHL, and then we'll see where he stands.
Well, it's mostly about tools I'd guess. That and a new player that looks the part in that respect. Frankly, it's not too often they have an abundance of tools in a younger player these days so it's a bit of fresh air. Johansen noted during the rookie tourney that Washington's systems feature much more aggressive gapping up than he's used to with Kelowna so it's not too surprising he was in between at times in his front taste of NHL play. He's also been playing through an ankle issue or something I think.

Bowey will get his chance at some point. When that time comes for him I think he'll have put some of those adjustment period concerns to bed. He's becoming a lot more consistent, a lot more of a pro and it'll be more a matter of him becoming more productive offensively and increasingly physically effective against NHLers.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I had Bowey as my breakout candidate in one of those silly prospects threads that HF sponsors post on here. He increasingly got better last year as the year went on and scoring that PP goal should boost his confidence.

I think he will have a breakout year in terms of offensive production and will see a lot more time on Hershey's PP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad