Tavares Worst Captain Ever

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
Sure, I'm not saying he's a great captain.

However, what has a Brady-lead team ever done when it mattered? Early in their career Brady led teams have been less successful than Tavares led teams.
Yeah. Because the Sens are a rebuilding team.

This isn't the one-up you think it is. Brady Tkachuk hasn't had Austin Matthews, Mitch Marner, and William Nylander as his supporting cast. Brady is a young captain on a young team that is trying to *ascend* to contention. Tavares is a veteran captain on a veteran team that *is* trying to contend. There's a difference in expectation there.

By the logic you're using, one could argue that the captain of every rebuilding team must be a bad captain by default.

ijuka

May 14, 2016

However, what has a Brady-lead team ever done when it mattered? Early in their career Brady led teams have been less successful than Tavares led teams.
How do you not comprehend that a team has more than 1 player?

Swap the two. Place Brady in this Leafs team, place Tavares in that Sens team. Who does better?

If you ask me, Leafs are dying to have someone like Brady Tkachuk on their team. They haven't had anyone like that since, what, JVR? And it shows.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
How do you not comprehend that a team has more than 1 player?

Swap the two. Place Brady in this Leafs team, place Tavares in that Sens team. Who does better?

If you ask me, Leafs are dying to have someone like Brady Tkachuk on their team. They haven't had anyone like that since, what, JVR? And it shows.

Peak Tavares was better than peak Brady. Brady today is better than a declining Tavares.

Tavares is on the last year of a 7 year contract next season, no one was even reasonably expecting him to still be a 65 point centre at this point.

If you're comparing Tavares worst year with Brady's best years, then yeah people will take Brady. Tavares was second in the Art Ross race at Brady's age.

I'd take Nylander over Malkin today, but I wouldn't have done that when they were both in their primes.

Last edited:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Peak Tavares was better than peak Brady. Brady today is better than a declining Tavares.

Tavares is on the last year of a 7 year contract next season, no one was even reasonably expecting him to still be a 65 point centre at this point.

If you're comparing Tavares worst year with Brady's best years, then yeah people will take Brady. Tavares was second in the Art Ross race at Brady's age.

I'd take Nylander over Malkin today, but I wouldn't have done that when they were both in their primes.

Lol what, scoring has gone up significantly and he's only 33 years old. 65 points is not reasonable? Kane put up 92 at 33, Stamkos put up 81, Crosby has back to back 90 point seasons and is 36. Pavelski is coming off 77 and 81 point seasons at 37/38. Gustav Nyquist just put up 75 points at 34 but that's too much for Tavares while playing on a stacked offensive team? :laugh:

If he wasn't expected to put up extremely easy numbers at this point on his contract then that makes the signing even dumber than it originally was. Tavares having only 2 ppg seasons and not a single ppg playoff run (despite most of it in 1st round) at 11M per year for 6 years now is quite sad.

Last edited:

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Lol what, scoring has gone up significantly and he's only 33 years old. 65 points is not reasonable? Kane put up 92 at 33, Stamkos put up 81, Crosby has back to back 90 point seasons and is 36. Pavelski is coming off 77 and 81 point seasons at 37/38. Gustav Nyquist just put up 75 points at 34 but that's too much for Tavares while playing on a stacked offensive team? :laugh:

If he wasn't expected to put up extremely easy numbers at this point on his contract then that makes the signing even dumber than it originally was. Tavares having only 2 ppg seasons and not a single ppg playoff run (despite most of it in 1st round) at 11M per year for 6 years now is quite sad.

What’s his salary got to do with him as a captain? He’s on the last year of his deal next year. I’m thankful he wasn’t Toews on the last few years of his deal.

You can always name players that do better and you can always name players that do worse.

Unlike most of the other players you named, Tavares has never played on the Leafs 1st line.

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
What a loser. Seriously. A complete non factor and afterthought for the Leafs. So happy this career loser will have to wonder why his jersey doesnt get retired in toronto or the island. Only a moron could mess that up. Went from a potential franchise legend for the islanders to a complete bust for the Leafs. way to go john. Hope those
Pajamas were worth it.

• Haha
Reactions: Fight4yourRight

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
What’s his salary got to do with him as a captain? He’s on the last year of his deal next year. I’m thankful he wasn’t Toews on the last few years of his deal.

You can always name players that do better and you can always name players that do worse.

Unlike most of the other players you named, Tavares has never played on the Leafs 1st line.

Absolutely false. And even then he had Marner at his disposal for a LOT of years and still failed to put up anything resembling elite offense.

What's it have to do with him as a captain? I don't know maybe the Leafs - like him have underachieved his entire tenure here? Surely a coincidence.

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
Tavares isn't the reason the Leafs have been pathetic in the playoffs for a better part of 50 years. Years of terrible management.

Gotta think Matthews asks out if something doesn't change.

There is no reason to think this roster construction will ever compete for anything, and Leafs management has been incompetent since 2003.

So what will change?

Totally feel for Leaf fans. Hope they clean house this summer.

Last edited:
Reactions: HockeyWooot

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014

On what planet are you from that your trying to convince yourself in this thread that ANYONE would take tavares over tkachuk? Its not even close, and its brady everyday and twice on sunday.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Tavares isn't the reason the Leafs have been pathetic in the playoffs for a better part of 50 years. Years of terrible management.

Gotta think Matthews asks out if something doesn't change.

There is no reason to think this roster construction will ever compete for anything, and Leafs management has been incompetent since 2003.

So what will change?

Totally feel for Leaf fans. Hope they clean house this summer.
I hope they stay the course and keep doing the same thing over and over again because of regular season results. They should extend Tavares this summer to thank him for his loyalty.

Reactions: Mosby

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
On what planet are you from that your trying to convince yourself in this thread that ANYONE would take tavares over tkachuk? Its not even close, and its brady everyday and twice on sunday.

What the hell have the senators done LOL? Nadda

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
Tavares is one of the worst playoff performers in NHL history if you compare his regular season PPG to his playoff PPG (wasn't terrible with Isles, brutal with Leafs). He's only won 2 series in his career. And look what the Islanders did soon after he left... they went to 2 straight conference championships, addition by subtraction. It even makes Tin Man Matthews look like he has a pulse by comparison next to the flatliner Tavares.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The guy isn't just a coach killer but also a GM/Assistant Coach/Soon to be Ex-President/ Killer. Yeah, he puts up points, just like he did with the Islanders, but they're all powerplay points and the team around his leadership always suck. Even with the same players they went from putrid to conference finals mostly by his absence and player responsibility. I honestly believe those around him really aren't impressed by him or just don't believe what he says. He obviously doesn't come across as someone who has your back and you would go to war with you. That said I believe Matthews is that guy. They obviously need to address the gorilla in the room and switch captionship already. Way, Way overdue!!!

If this were true Keefe would have lost His job when he blew a 3-1 series lead to Montreal

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Curious if they disliked him that much why did they all cry like little babies when he left?
Let's make this simple for you:

Isles fans loved JT, but we knew his shortcomings as a leader and the defensive flaws he had with us (like how he would stay out in OT too long). His record of being on the ice when an OT goal was scored against us was pretty lengthy.

He gave us the OT winner against the Panthers just like those here mentioned Game 6 last year and we were thrilled to finally win a playoff round.

Our biggest complaint isn't that he left us, many of us sensed that was going to happen anyhow and wanted us to trade him the year before when we could have gotten a solid return. What turned opinion against him was his pleading to NOT be traded, which gave a false hope that he would re-sign. Getting nothing for him instead of some nice pieces certainly showed a side of him we didn't think was there. And he even talked about that after signing in Toronto, about not wanting the Leafs to give up any assets for him, which we could clearly see was pre-determined and planned for in his mind and he had misled the organization and the fans. Not trading him is on us, not him.

Now the Leafs nation is finding out that when we warned them about his shortcomings, we were being truthful. It's not about whining at each other's fan bases anymore. He has always been Canada's Golden Boy from early junior on, when he was given one of the age exemptions and on to the WJC in 2009 and remember he was even traded in his final OHL year to a better team and there was a little grumbling from Oshawa when that happened.

And now he's starting to see what it feels like to have some of his home-town fans calling him out. Leaf fans need to stop calling out Isles fans and just figure out themselves how to proceed going forward. Will you keep him on a pedestal, or will you just accept his overall game, which is fine for what it is, but flawed? Toronto is the equivalent of the NY Yankees, the expectations are high, but there's also a difficulty in admitting that things didn't work out as expected.

Were we annoyed when he left? Yes, but more for how it happened. Would a JT-Barzal-Nelson-Cizikas center combo have been great for us? Probably, but we did recover and go further than his Leafs teams did for a couple of years. That's not a 'na-na-na-na' slap at the Leafs, it's just what happened.

He's wired to be bland and not go public with getting in a teammate's face. That's no surprise, as he was always the good kid, trying to keep a public persona from a young age when he became the face of Canada at an early age. All you have to do is look at how many posters here want him to show more emotion, when it isn't what he is. He always tried to lead by example, not like a player like Doughty or Yzerman in his day, etc.

If the team is eliminated in 5, the fever will rise some more in Toronto. I think i read that there were something like 30 beat reporters on the Leafs? That's amazing to me and certainly plays into how he reacts. You have to be very careful with public comments in that type of media market. Even NY, with 3 NHL teams, comes nowhere close to that level of coverage.

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
Let's make this simple for you:

Isles fans loved JT, but we knew his shortcomings as a leader and the defensive flaws he had with us (like how he would stay out in OT too long). His record of being on the ice when an OT goal was scored against us was pretty lengthy.

He gave us the OT winner against the Panthers just like those here mentioned Game 6 last year and we were thrilled to finally win a playoff round.

Our biggest complaint isn't that he left us, many of us sensed that was going to happen anyhow and wanted us to trade him the year before when we could have gotten a solid return. What turned opinion against him was his pleading to NOT be traded, which gave a false hope that he would re-sign. Getting nothing for him instead of some nice pieces certainly showed a side of him we didn't think was there. And he even talked about that after signing in Toronto, about not wanting the Leafs to give up any assets for him, which we could clearly see was pre-determined and planned for in his mind and he had misled the organization and the fans. Not trading him is on us, not him.

Now the Leafs nation is finding out that when we warned them about his shortcomings, we were being truthful. It's not about whining at each other's fan bases anymore. He has always been Canada's Golden Boy from early junior on, when he was given one of the age exemptions and on to the WJC in 2009 and remember he was even traded in his final OHL year to a better team and there was a little grumbling from Oshawa when that happened.

And now he's starting to see what it feels like to have some of his home-town fans calling him out. Leaf fans need to stop calling out Isles fans and just figure out themselves how to proceed going forward. Will you keep him on a pedestal, or will you just accept his overall game, which is fine for what it is, but flawed? Toronto is the equivalent of the NY Yankees, the expectations are high, but there's also a difficulty in admitting that things didn't work out as expected.

Were we annoyed when he left? Yes, but more for how it happened. Would a JT-Barzal-Nelson-Cizikas center combo have been great for us? Probably, but we did recover and go further than his Leafs teams did for a couple of years. That's not a 'na-na-na-na' slap at the Leafs, it's just what happened.

He's wired to be bland and not go public with getting in a teammate's face. That's no surprise, as he was always the good kid, trying to keep a public persona from a young age when he became the face of Canada at an early age. All you have to do is look at how many posters here want him to show more emotion, when it isn't what he is. He always tried to lead by example, not like a player like Doughty or Yzerman in his day, etc.

If the team is eliminated in 5, the fever will rise some more in Toronto. I think i read that there were something like 30 beat reporters on the Leafs? That's amazing to me and certainly plays into how he reacts. You have to be very careful with public comments in that type of media market. Even NY, with 3 NHL teams, comes nowhere close to that level of coverage.
I agreed with you 100%!
I will be so pissed if our captain Nick Suzuki left us for another team for nothing. New York islander could have a first round pick and a good prospect for Tavares in the trade deadline.

Reactions: ThreeLeftSkates

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad