Pre-Game Talk: Week to Vanish (WAS, @NSH, @DET)

Will Girard play in Detroit (his 10th game)

• Yes

Votes: 49 98.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
As much as we rag on our young defenders, EJ wasn't good on the Sweden trip . Time for him to step up his game . I'd like to see Girard and EJ pairing

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
This "Mironov was promised NHL time" thing doing the rounds on here is bullshit, he isn't good enough and the fact that Zadorov isn't being given every opportunity to succeed is either a damning indictment of Bednar's coaching (and motivational) ability or Sakic's desire for this team to ever win anything.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
I loved Dater and AJ finally ripping Bednar and this coaching staff. They've been absolutely awful all season long and all we do is blame the players. yes, ultimately the players execute, but its on the coaches to put them in the right places.

Bednar not adjusting to Ottawa's 1-3-1 was the icing for me. He is not a very good coach. Sits back and watches.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
EJ playing too much is like the least of our concerns in all honesty.

Well I was replying to someone who said he wasn't good. The reason he's not as good is more than likely in part because he plays too much so that's a bit of a concern.

I loved Dater and AJ finally ripping Bednar and this coaching staff. They've been absolutely awful all season long and all we do is blame the players. yes, ultimately the players execute, but its on the coaches to put them in the right places.

Bednar not adjusting to Ottawa's 1-3-1 was the icing for me. He is not a very good coach. Sits back and watches.

Bednar is apparently a big fan of the podcast so hopefully he didn't miss the last one.

Reactions: Avs71

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
They've been very patient with Siemens, why wouldn't they give Bigras time? In the AHL, of course...

They're not being patient with Siemens. He just flat out sucks and the Avs know it. He's a good AHL Dman to have but there's no NHL upside to his game. Otherwise the Avs would have given him a lot more opportunity to try and play at the NHL level then they have.

That's the difference with he and Bigras. They still see(Or saw) NHL upside in his game. But that has to be changing pretty quickly these days. The guy is a train wreck out there on a nightly basis.

It sucks cause he really seemed like a promising prospect a couple years ago. Great skater and a smart player in the OHL and even in the AHL. But he just hasn't been able to take his game to the next level. I also think his size and lacking ability to play physical has hurt him a lot.

Time is running out for him though. Would not surprise me in the least if he's traded between now and February. Either for another struggling prospect, or as an add-in to a trade perhaps to get us a higher pick or something.

But I dont think he has a future with the Avs. Especially not with the acquisition of Girard.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
They've been very patient with Siemens, why wouldn't they give Bigras time? In the AHL, of course...

I really, really doubt Bigras would pass through waivers. They can only be so patient. Along with that, there are a couple teams I know of that would love to pick Bigras off the scrap pile in a trade. They'd send a mid round pick or a B prospect to take a chance on Bigras.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I really, really doubt Bigras would pass through waivers. They can only be so patient. Along with that, there are a couple teams I know of that would love to pick Bigras off the scrap pile in a trade. They'd send a mid round pick or a B prospect to take a chance on Bigras.

But is a mid round pick or a B prospect worth more than Bigras? As much as Bigras?
I'd think a mid round pick or a B prospect have a lot less chance of becoming a good NHL player than Bigras.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
But is a mid round pick or a B prospect worth more than Bigras? As much as Bigras?
I'd think a mid round pick or a B prospect have a lot less chance of becoming a good NHL player than Bigras.

Timeframe is as much of an issue as anything. It has to click for Bigras this season, or he will be lost for nothing or next to it. Getting a B prospect... throwing out a name like say Ross Colton resets the timeframe. Colton may or may not be a better NHL player, but it gives the organization 3-4 more years to work on that vs 6 months for Bigras. With the players the Avs have lined up for spots, the margin for error for Bigras is getting mighty thin. If the Avs like Makar enough after this season (and I think they will even if it isn't in his best interest), 5 regular spots are locked up and there is healthy competition for the last spot. If Bigras doesn't win that spot, there is a hard decision that will have to be made.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Then we need to find a winger in a similar position and with at least equal value/potential to trade him for.

We can't keep giving up the best player in every trade (Martinsen/Ghetto aside...)

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Then we need to find a winger in a similar position and with at least equal value/potential to trade him for.

We can't keep giving up the best player in every trade (Martinsen/Ghetto aside...)

The name I threw out there is exactly that. Might be the best pure goal scorer in all of college hockey.

I've been one of Bigras' biggest tirepumpers for years here. I like the kid a lot, but the timeframe is now for him. Either he figures it out soon, or the Avs have to cut bait. Too much competition on the blueline now for a long enough rope.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
The name I threw out there is exactly that. Might be the best pure goal scorer in all of college hockey.

I've been one of Bigras' biggest tirepumpers for years here. I like the kid a lot, but the timeframe is now for him. Either he figures it out soon, or the Avs have to cut bait. Too much competition on the blueline now for a long enough rope.

I highly doubt they cut bait with him after this year; thought would be unbelievably moronic on their part. I mean, look how long they have kept Duncan around (though I know we have only recently been getting more depth). Bigras still has a lot of potential and just needs to settle in still. Barbs should be gone next year and I would not be surprised to see Mironov gone next year unless he has a big turnaround over this season.

Obviously EJ, Barrie, Girard and probably Makar (I agree they bring him in too early) are in your top 6. Nemeth will probably be around but still not guaranteed to be in the starting lineup all the time. That leaves Z, Nemeth, Lindy, Bigras as players that are fighting for two spots in and two spots in the press box. Meloche gets another year in the AHL. Unless something unforeseen happens, I expect that to be the lineup on D next year.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Nope, not yet. 15 forwards and 9 defensemen on the roster right now.

Andrighetto/Bourque/Comeau/Compher/Greer/Grimaldi/Jost/Kerfoot/Landeskog/MacKinnon/Nieto/Rantanen/Soderberg/Wilson/Yakupov

Barberio/Barrie/Bigras/Girard/Johnson/Lindholm/Mironov/Nemeth/Zadorov

Sending Bourque, Greer, and Grimaldi down are the easy calls up front.

Doesn't Lindholm have a broken jaw? They could just put him on IR and put off the decision on D for a bit. That would also clear a spot for Kamemev and they can roll with the usual 13 F and 8 D.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I am not sure that we will see any AHL transactions prior to tomorrow. The Rampage play Grand Rapids at 9:30 am MST tomorrow morning, which is kind of a strange start time.

The Avs may have felt that the turnaround time was too quick for the likes of Greer, Grimaldi, and/or Bourque to fly down and play.

If that is what the Avs are doing, I hope that Kamenev comes through tomorrow's SA game unscathed and will play against the Caps this Thursday. I am looking forward to seeing him play with the Avs.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I highly doubt they cut bait with him after this year; thought would be unbelievably moronic on their part. I mean, look how long they have kept Duncan around (though I know we have only recently been getting more depth). Bigras still has a lot of potential and just needs to settle in still. Barbs should be gone next year and I would not be surprised to see Mironov gone next year unless he has a big turnaround over this season.

Obviously EJ, Barrie, Girard and probably Makar (I agree they bring him in too early) are in your top 6. Nemeth will probably be around but still not guaranteed to be in the starting lineup all the time. That leaves Z, Nemeth, Lindy, Bigras as players that are fighting for two spots in and two spots in the press box. Meloche gets another year in the AHL. Unless something unforeseen happens, I expect that to be the lineup on D next year.

I don't think it would be moronic. I'm not saying cut bait right now, just that decision time is coming and Bigras needs to start showing things or he will lose his spot... and it would be better if that is happening to make a proactive move about the future of the D core before Bigras has no real value.

Z will be in that group simply because of his salary next season. 5 spots are taken up and there are a bunch of players fighting for the last regular spot and 1 or 2 extras. If Bigras is looking like the odd man out by Feb, it might be time to start entertaining trades.

I think the Avs are looking at this as their pairings for next season (ideally):

Z-EJ
Girard-Barrie
____-Makar

The players fighting for that last spot are Mironov, Bigras, Lindholm, and Nemeth. If Bigras can't beat out 2 of them, his time may have come.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

The difference between Siemens and Bigras is that Siemens never had any trouble passing through waivers. I don't think Bigras would be able to go down. If the Avs decide he's no longer in their plans, it becomes a choice between trading a young D with some potential left for equal value or losing him for nothing. And with the logjam at D now, he needs to solidify a spot on that blueline this year, because the logjam will not get any better down the line.

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
To me Lindholm shown more than any of those mentioned. He may not put up points but we have Barrie and Makar who can do that.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think we'd need to see significant growth in the next 60+ games for Zadorov to be penciled in on the top pairing once again.

I completely agree... but I believe that is what the Avs want to push towards. They penciled in Z this past year on the top pairing and I think that is what they envision going forward. This isn't what I think should be done, just what I believe the Avs are going to do. That said, Girard/Barrie might end up more as a top pairing...

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Grimaldi should be the forward sent down for sure, I don't see much of an NHL player in him. After that Bourque, then Greer, because I still want to see if Greer starts to adjust to the NHL game after a while.

On D, I would guess that Mironov will be the odd D out. We'll see how he reacts, but I doubt Sakic is going to compromise the team by sending down anybody else, promises or no. But at this point, either he takes the AHL time to become an NHL defenseman or he slouches off to Russia and his career is over. But the situation has to end soon one way or the other.

I agree with you on Mironov, but I think they need to send Greer down. Likely the only one hes taking a spot from is Nieto on the 4th line, and that just isn't going to do him much good.

Landeskog - MacK - Rantanen
Ghetto - Kerfoot - Yakupov
Jost - Kemenev - Compher? (I have no idea how they are actually going to give Kenemev a real shot at C)
Nieto - Soderberg - Comeau

I'm not sure where Wilson plays lol, does he take Nieto's spot even though that line has been working so well?

So whoever stays is likely not playing much. Bourque or Grimaldi are much better off in that role IMO. It's not like they'll need that guy to be a center either.

Either play Greer or send him down, simple as that.

This

Hopefully Greer and Mironov are sent down.

Yeah, that's best case scenario IMO. Watch them send Girard back to junior, Greer stays up and does not play, and Bernier starts next game lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad