Pre-Game Talk: Week to Vanish (WAS, @NSH, @DET)

Will Girard play in Detroit (his 10th game)

• Yes

Votes: 49 98.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I'd like to see Barrie and Girard split up. They are a bit too similar in style.

Just put Girard with EJ for two games and have EJ play safer.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I'm interested to see who's at practice on Wednesday.

26 guys on the roster right now... Jost is probably still out for a bit, not sure on Lindholm with his broken jaw, but Nemeth should be good to go. Sakic says Kamenev will join up with the team.

Who is going down? 1 D to accommodate Nemeth and 1 F for Kamenev. Mironov/Bigras on D and Greer/Bourque/Grimaldi on F are probably the only candidates.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
In theory it should be Barberio because he was the worst player on the ice during the last game and arguably single handedly cost us the 2 points (or at least one). But then again, he was asked to play 1st pairing when he's nowhere near a 1st pairing guy. It's tempting to scratch him but I'm not sure we should.

I'm calling this the Holden syndrome: put a player in a position he shouldn't be and then blame him for not being able to do the job.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Grimaldi should be the forward sent down for sure, I don't see much of an NHL player in him. After that Bourque, then Greer, because I still want to see if Greer starts to adjust to the NHL game after a while.

On D, I would guess that Mironov will be the odd D out. We'll see how he reacts, but I doubt Sakic is going to compromise the team by sending down anybody else, promises or no. But at this point, either he takes the AHL time to become an NHL defenseman or he slouches off to Russia and his career is over. But the situation has to end soon one way or the other.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Bednar loves Bourque/hates Grimaldi and Mironov was probably promised NHL time, so I expect to see both Grimaldi and Bigras sent to San Antonio.

L vs Washington
W @ Nashville
L @ Detroit

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
In theory it should be Barberio because he was the worst player on the ice during the last game and arguably single handedly cost us the 2 points (or at least one). But then again, he was asked to play 1st pairing when he's nowhere near a 1st pairing guy. It's tempting to scratch him but I'm not sure we should.

I'm calling this the Holden syndrome: put a player in a position he shouldn't be and then blame him for not being able to do the job.

I don't think Barberio will be sent down this season, more likely he'll stay as a healthy scratch for a few games until someone else screws up.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
This has the potential to be a very rough week, 2/3 games away while playing Washington and Nashville. If we can leave with three points I'll be happy.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
They have nine D. Only ones who are waiver exempt and can be sent to AHL are Lindholm and Mironov. Girard can be sent to QMJHL.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
They have nine D. Only ones who are waiver exempt and can be sent to AHL are Lindholm and Mironov. Girard can be sent to QMJHL.

Good call. I think Lindholm and Grimaldi go down.

I think this already happened, didn't it?

Nope, not yet. 15 forwards and 9 defensemen on the roster right now.

Andrighetto/Bourque/Comeau/Compher/Greer/Grimaldi/Jost/Kerfoot/Landeskog/MacKinnon/Nieto/Rantanen/Soderberg/Wilson/Yakupov

Barberio/Barrie/Bigras/Girard/Johnson/Lindholm/Mironov/Nemeth/Zadorov

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
He might need to be. Needs a bit more spit & polish. Hate to see him ruin his career because he isn't quite ready for the NHL.

Then again, haven't seen too much of him at the NHL level.

I'm normally a person who thinks more time isn't ever really a bad thing, but with Bigras... I think it is time for him to sink or swim. The Avs need to know what they have in him at the NHL level to start making some decisions about the future direction. There might only be 1 top 6 spot left next season and a decision will need to be made if that should start out with Bigras, Nemeth, Mironov, or Lindholm.

Reactions: McMetal

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Anton Strålman looked a lot like Bigras when he was younger. It wasn't until he was 25 and Tortorella forced him out of his comfort zone he figured things out.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Anton Strålman looked a lot like Bigras when he was younger. It wasn't until he was 25 and Tortorella forced him out of his comfort zone he figured things out.

Entirely possible it clicks late with Bigras like that, but if it does, it won't be with the Avs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad