Pre-Game Talk: Week to Vanish (WAS, @NSH, @DET)

Will Girard play in Detroit (his 10th game)

• Yes

Votes: 49 98.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Actually i can see them sending Girard back to the juniors. They don't really "need" him this year cause he makes us better (strange but true). They need this year to find out what to do with the Zadorovs/Mironovs/Lindholms/Bigrases of the world. They probably already know that Girard will be an impact NHL player no matter what; the other 4 not so much. Bringing in Makar AND Girard next year to rock the world would just make too much sense. And i think they know they need one more Top5ish pick - maybe not a D anymore but a winger instead - to complete the rebuild/retool/rewhatever.

I think Bednar would be pissed if he's not in on this though ....:banana:

So next year (not this year) i hope they ice

Girard/EJ
Zad/Barrie
one of the other 3/Makar

Yeah ... could be fun to be an AVs fan again. After all these years.

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Not that it's a stone cold guarantee but they told Bigras to find a place in Denver, I can't see him get sent down now. What they really need to do is decide what to do with Nemeth and Barb. Lindholm injured buys them a little time now. Maybe he just goes down when he's healthy as it's the easiest thing to do. Miro is the #8 to me, I think that's a spot he occupies all on his own. I do agree that if they decide Bigras is not a big part of the future to move him before his value evaporates.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I completely agree... but I believe that is what the Avs want to push towards. They penciled in Z this past year on the top pairing and I think that is what they envision going forward. This isn't what I think should be done, just what I believe the Avs are going to do. That said, Girard/Barrie might end up more as a top pairing...

Bednar is actually going to have to play Zadorov and let him play through some of the growing pains. Right now it looks like unless Sakic makes him do it, Bednar isn't leaning toward giving Bigras or Zadorov leave to do that.

Also, can we really rule out Timmins for next year? Of the prospects wasn't he one of if not the last guy to leave after a really impressive last half of training camp? He looked better in some of the pre-season games than some of the guys in our lineup right now.

Reactions: McMetal

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Kind of seems that Jost may be in the lineup Thursday...at least the Avs are hyping his potential return.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Think they need to go:

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Andrighetto - Kerfoot - Jost
Wilson - Compher - Yak
Grimaldi - Soda - Comeau

Girard - EJ
Zadorov - Barrie
Bigras - Mironov

Bednar needs to leave the D pairings alone for a couple of games. This "one-and-done" approach isn't helping anyone. With that being said, Barberio needs to be scratched for a few games. That was one of the worst games I've seen anyone play in the last few seasons.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Bednar is actually going to have to play Zadorov and let him play through some of the growing pains. Right now it looks like unless Sakic makes him do it, Bednar isn't leaning toward giving Bigras or Zadorov leave to do that.

Also, can we really rule out Timmins for next year? Of the prospects wasn't he one of if not the last guy to leave after a really impressive last half of training camp? He looked better in some of the pre-season games than some of the guys in our lineup right now.

Z’s contract stipulates he will be one of the guys here next year. Doesn’t reall matter where... he is one of the 6 penciled into a spot.

Timmons could compete, but I’d say it is pretty unlikely he wins a spot next year. Especially with the ease that he can be sent to the AHL.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Z’s contract stipulates he will be one of the guys here next year. Doesn’t reall matter where... he is one of the 6 penciled into a spot.

Timmons could compete, but I’d say it is pretty unlikely he wins a spot next year. Especially with the ease that he can be sent to the AHL.

You don't think Z could end up the #7 or #8 if we face the reality that not only Bednar might not let him play through his mistakes, but that Bednar might actually be the coach for 2018-19 (god help us)? Every time I think there is some sort of thing like that going on due to contract status in the organization, Bednar throws it at the wall and takes a piss on it.

I know Timmins isn't the most likely bet. I'm just surprised hes completely left off everyone's list of possibilities. Not one person in the conversation mentioned him lol.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
San Antonio actually plays tomorrow morning and Wednesday night. Perhaps they plan to keep Kamenev down for both games, or perhaps Sakic wasn't being truthful in his comments about the situation.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Not that it's a stone cold guarantee but they told Bigras to find a place in Denver, I can't see him get sent down now. What they really need to do is decide what to do with Nemeth and Barb. Lindholm injured buys them a little time now. Maybe he just goes down when he's healthy as it's the easiest thing to do. Miro is the #8 to me, I think that's a spot he occupies all on his own. I do agree that if they decide Bigras is not a big part of the future to move him before his value evaporates.
Pre-injury Nemeth wasn't part of the rotation so I don't see him getting cut. I'm pretty sure the plan right now is Nemeth, Girard, EJ and Barrie as the top 4.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
San Antonio actually plays tomorrow morning and Wednesday night. Perhaps they plan to keep Kamenev down for both games, or perhaps Sakic wasn't being truthful in his comments about the situation.

Greer and Kemenev both are kind of wild cards right now. I don't really have a problem with any of our forward group playing either. I'd rather they didn't keep Greer up here if they are not ready to give him a shot on an offensive line though.

It's actually really difficult to make a lineup with Kemenev and Greer in it right now. That would mean both Nieto and Wilson in the press box.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Bigras is not waiver eligible. He will be next year. Until then, he is a good candidate to be sent down to make room, though I doubt it will happen. I do think that Lindholm will go down once off IR, for at least a conditioning stint....which may stretch depending on how well the D that are playing perform. I could see them send Girard down to get the extra year of ELC slide, and in turn, and keep Makar at UMA for another year, to really slow play the D development. Some of that may depend on who they draft as well. If they get Dahlin, which year do they want to double up on rookie D, and which guys?

Mironov needs playing time, either with the Avs or SAR. Not sure how he would feel about AHL time, but I think if explained correctly, he would do it. But with Girard in the Q and Lindholm IR/AHL, that leaves 7 D once Nemeth is healthy, so Mironov would be one of the ones rotating in.

For next game, Barbs needs a break, so NZ-EJ, SG-TB, CB-AM (though I would prefer SG and NZ switch).

Will give thoughts on forwards another time.

Not that anyone cares :)

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I think it's more about not practicing until Wed, why pay for the callup before they have to? I'd be surprised if they risked Kamenev in that game tomorrow but I guess we'll see.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Bigras is not waiver eligible. He will be next year. Until then, he is a good candidate to be sent down to make room, though I doubt it will happen. I do think that Lindholm will go down once off IR, for at least a conditioning stint....which may stretch depending on how well the D that are playing perform. I could see them send Girard down to get the extra year of ELC slide, and in turn, and keep Makar at UMA for another year, to really slow play the D development. Some of that may depend on who they draft as well. If they get Dahlin, which year do they want to double up on rookie D, and which guys?

Mironov needs playing time, either with the Avs or SAR. Not sure how he would feel about AHL time, but I think if explained correctly, he would do it. But with Girard in the Q and Lindholm IR/AHL, that leaves 7 D once Nemeth is healthy, so Mironov would be one of the ones rotating in.

For next game, Barbs needs a break, so NZ-EJ, SG-TB, CB-AM (though I would prefer SG and NZ switch).

Will give thoughts on forwards another time.

Not that anyone cares :)

I care ;)

But yeah, I'd prefer to switch Girard and Z though, Girard and Barrie on a pairing together are redundant so we should spread the wealth (not that Bednar will do that).

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I really, really hope they don't send Girard down. Eff the whole ELC-gets-burned nonsense. If he's ready, he's ready.
My gut says they keep him up, but I could easily see it go the other way. We'll find out soon enough I suppose.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden

Regarding Nemeth it has to do with his play and what he brings? If he could keep the current 0.5 ppg pace and rather impressive +- stats up while still (most of the time) being a solid stay at home defenceman it would not be easy to send him down, it would be completely illogical? (They should focus on moving guys not producing or helping the team?) A solid stay at home defenceman and pk killer is something most teams need for balancing a team. Being a stay at home defenceman is a very ungrateful position in hockey (especially when in a poor team) because many times you will be the last man standing facing the best opponents alone, many times on 2-1 situations. Nemeth also add some strength, size and physical play which this soft team desperately need. For Nemeth having a good season he simply have to stay healthy though, hopefully whatever issue he is having right now heals. I'm very curious to know if his current injury have to do with the fight vs Seguin, perhaps while constantly smashing Seguins helmet in the fight (injuries while smashing helmet in fight happens but mostly hand injuries).

Don't forget that Nemeth was regarded a very good prospect himself before the freak injury he had in Dallas (extremely poor timing for him). We are talking about perhaps the best player on the ice when Sweden won gold in WJC, most definately top three, the way Nemeth stepped up in the finals was a beautiful thing, pure clutch. Nemeth also scored the winning gold for Texas winning the Calder, these performances are not a fluke.

Nemeth was a stay at home defenseman before Dallas Stars drafted him and after they drafted him, I'm not really sure what they expected? ;-) For me it was an extremely stupid decision of the Stars dumping him, especially looking at the Stars poor defensive play now, it's a Swiss cheese. He obviously have some offensive talents as well but the problem is that Nemeth on the rush also makes the team vulnerable for counter attacks (because most of the other d-men with exception from EJ having some defensive flaws). One reason to Nemeth's offensive outburst may be his desperation for staying in the NHL, trying to show his value, another reason could be development and self confidence, enjoying the new team and new life. For Nemeth this most probably feels like his very last chance in the NHL.

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Nemeth has played 11 games and left three of them with injury. He basically averages about 40 games a season healthy. He was playing with Barrie and that was his role. We have Girard now and he needs a real role if he's going to stay here. Not join the 3rd pair D rotation. Nemeth was nice to have in the beginning and he's been fine but now he's taking a roster spot that's going to be replaced by one of the youth movement one way or another. Sure he'd be nice to have around as an extra but then that's having a guy like Lindholm or Bigras off the roster and what's the purpose of doing that in a development year? If Lindholm gets healthy and someone else is injured by then I guess they don't have to make a decision but he's the easiest cut for me IMO.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
We will see, I still think a solid calm strong physical stay at home type of defenceman and pk killer is a great for balancing almost any team defence, not flashy but needed.

For me it would feel like moving one of the few working peaces on the defensive lineup, illogical? If Nemeth keeping his 0.5 ppg pace (currently second of Avs defensemen together with EJ) and team leading +- stats it would almost be impossible to send him down, it would be extremely surprising, also the Avs need some physical presence and defensive awareness on the ice.

I'm almost 100% sure Nemeth will stay in Colorado for the rest of the season if this injury were nothing serious. His future will then depend on his results on the ice this season.

(I have no idea or information about his current injury though which makes the speculation a little bit harder...)

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Nemeth has played 11 games and left three of them with injury. He basically averages about 40 games a season healthy. He was playing with Barrie and that was his role. We have Girard now and he needs a real role if he's going to stay here. Not join the 3rd pair D rotation. Nemeth was nice to have in the beginning and he's been fine but now he's taking a roster spot that's going to be replaced by one of the youth movement one way or another. Sure he'd be nice to have around as an extra but then that's having a guy like Lindholm or Bigras off the roster and what's the purpose of doing that in a development year? If Lindholm gets healthy and someone else is injured by then I guess they don't have to make a decision but he's the easiest cut for me IMO.
Same for me , I don't think we should have claimed him off waivers anyhow

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Haha, a bit funny, I'm totally confused about you (@tigervixxxen & @New Scotlander) disliking Nemeth, his 0.5 ppg pace and team leading +- stats obviously not enough for a start playing in a new team?

I give up and I hope that his results will continue to speak for themselves. One thing is for sure, team management saw something you guys didn't and I'm almost 100% sure Nemeth staying in Colorado for the rest of the season (to begin with) anyway so I'm not sure why even having this discussion... ;-) The only thing which possibly could be a problem is the injury otherwise I believe he is too good for failing in Avalanche. Question is if this is the injury he got during the Dallas game (the game when fighting Seguin) or if it's something old before he joined the Avs that he can't get rid off?? (I know nothing about this mysterious injury.)

Last edited:

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Barberio is reminding me of Zach Redmond at times. I think there are some similarities (strong skating, above average puck skills, highly questionable decision making at times).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad