Pre-Game Talk: Week to Vanish (WAS, @NSH, @DET)

Will Girard play in Detroit (his 10th game)

• Yes

Votes: 49 98.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Barberio is reminding me of Zach Redmond at times. I think there are some similarities (strong skating, above average puck skills, highly questionable decision making at times).

Nemeth is better than Barbario.

Yep... Nemeth's biggest issue is staying healthy. He simply can't do that. If he is healthy, he works quite well on the bottom two pairings.

I agree with all of these. I think AT TIMES Barberio has been the better/flashier player, but then has games like he had the other night in Sweden.

Ultimately, both are placeholders.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
It appears that Kamenev is in the lineup this morning. Since we have not seen any one of Greer, Grimaldi, or Bourque be sent down yet, I am guessing that the Avs wanted to give them an opportunity to rest after a long trip. SA plays tomorrow night, so we will see what happens after this morning's game.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Boot Barberio to the moon

barbie-on-mars.jpg

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
This schedule is driving me nuts. No more Euro trips please... It really screwed up the schedule.

There were long breaks even without euro trips.. in fact, let's just add more euro trips since we already have the long breaks in place!

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I think Nemeth's play has slipped, which could be because of an injury, but he has still been better than Zadorov, Bigras, Barberio, and Mironov. I'm guessing he sticks in the top four for now.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Nemeth was nice to have in the beginning and he's been fine but now he's taking a roster spot that's going to be replaced by one of the youth movement one way or another. Sure he'd be nice to have around as an extra but then that's having a guy like Lindholm or Bigras off the roster and what's the purpose of doing that in a development year?

The age difference isn't big enough to prioritize Bigras and Lindholm over Nemeth. Nemeth can be part of the future just as much as the 2 others.

Reactions: GBoeklen32

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Nemeth has good positioning and knows how to take away passing lanes. That makes him one of the best PK defenders on the team.

He does need to stay healthy, but part of his problems this year has been bad luck. I think he hurt his shoulder dragging Seguin to the ice after their fight.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I never buy the "he's always injured" argument for any player unless it's a recuring injury.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
The Athletic

50% off for people interested.

Wow, I’ve been wanting to sign up for awhile but just didn’t even want to cough up the change at a 30% discount when our city isn’t one that’s covered (not yet anyway) but that’s too good to pass up. Just signed up.

Kinda makes you wonder if they’re struggling to get subscribers. I mean, 50% is better than the initial 30% from early subscribers. Would be backwards you would think.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
The age difference isn't big enough to prioritize Bigras and Lindholm over Nemeth. Nemeth can be part of the future just as much as the 2 others.

Agreed. I still am undecided about Nemeth and I get that we want everyone to be around the same age as core but when has a Stanley cup winning team ever been the same age throughout the Lineup. Not EVERYONE is going to align perfectly on the team by the time we’re ready to compete.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Wow, I’ve been wanting to sign up for awhile but just didn’t even want to cough up the change at a 30% discount when our city isn’t one that’s covered (not yet anyway) but that’s too good to pass up. Just signed up.

Kinda makes you wonder if they’re struggling to get subscribers. I mean, 50% is better than the initial 30% from early subscribers. Would be backwards you would think.

They seem to have 50% sales every now and then, probably trying to just get a solid user base first, a lot off people are anti-paywall type things.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

On one hand I want to sign up but on the other hand I don't want to support the trend of having to pay for that kind of content. If the concept works well soon enough everything on the internet will be behind a pay wall. There's a "war" going on right now between videogamers and EA for microtransaction in video games. Players buy games at full price and EA (and others I assume) nickel and dime them to death in the game to "unlock" stuff. That's not cool.

So for me it's not a money issue but a philosophical issue. I don't want the internet to become that.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
On one hand I want to sign up but on the other hand I don't want to support the trend of having to pay for that kind of content. If the concept works well soon enough everything on the internet will be behind a pay wall. There's a "war" going on right now between videogamers and EA for microtransaction in video games. Players buy games at full price and EA (and others I assume) nickel and dime them to death in the game to "unlock" stuff. That's not cool.

So for me it's not a money issue but a philosophical issue. I don't want the internet to become that.

I can understand the video game logic (although all games are heading in that direction sadly) but for the athletic, to me, that’s no different than paying for a magazine subscription you have sent to your door each month.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
If all paid content was as good as The Athletic, I'd be all for it.

It's when you get companies like EA exploiting that stuff when it becomes a problem.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'm loving The Athletic. Even though they don't cover any of my teams I'm reading all kinds of stuff in there. It's a really wide variety too, all well-written.

They needed a lot of money to procure that talent base and have drummed up quite a bit of investment money in order to pay for it. Eventually though they gotta get a return on that investment. We'll see if that happens but there's no reason why it shouldn't.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014

Oh you kids and your games these days. Back in my day you actually had to play a game to unlock something.

Reactions: GBoeklen32

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Oh you kids and your games these days. Back in my day you actually had to play a game to unlock something.
I'm not a kid and I don't play video games but I remember when WOW became really, really popular I was stunned that so many people agreed to pay a monthly fee to play a game. My reaction was that it would change how video games will charge money in the future because why sell a game for a one time fee when you can make an endless stream of money off it? It's like having the same people buying the same game every month. Crazy.

It's no different with internet paywalls. They aren't going to give you something for free when they can charge for it and I don't blame them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad