Pre-Game Talk: Week of Shorts (SJ, VAN)

falconski

Unregistered User
Jan 21, 2008
Hey Avs fans, don't know where else to put this. What are your team'so go-to PP and PK units when all healthy? Thanks!

Best guess for when healthy
PP1

Landeskog-Mackinnon-rantanen
Iginla(because reasons)-Barrie

PP2
Grigerenko-duchene-bourque/soderberg
Zadorov-Johnson

PK1
Landeskog-Mackinnon
Beauchemin-Johnson

PK2
Comeau-duchene?
Tyutin-zadorov (I hope, he's been there since EJ went down though)

Avalanche

Mar 18, 2011
Cornwall
Did anyone see Frei's mailbag piece? He said the Avs weren't happy with Bigras conditioning level in camp. Hadn't heard that before.

Wasn't there something last year too? I seem to recall Roy not being happy with Bigras during camp last year. Can't remember if it was his conditioning or just his play.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
Not really following along much lately but how severe is the Barrie injury?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Since 2013 Eric Gelinas is 3rd among NHL defenseman (minimum 200 minutes played) in points/60 on 5-4 PP.

I know this is just another one of my repetitive broken record arguments but how in the hell is this guy not on our PP??? Hardest shot on the team. One of the best statistical D on the team at getting pucks through and on the net. Has a history of being really good on the PP with good offensive zone instincts. Was always really bad at ES. Yet he doesn't get a look.

I defended the Gelinas for a 3rd trade at the time because of his qualities and what those qualities would do for this team. After a year of him never being put into a situation where he can actually put those qualities to work I'm just beyond lost at what they expect from him. Give him an opportunity or don't play him at all.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Since 2013 Eric Gelinas is 3rd among NHL defenseman (minimum 200 minutes played) in points/60 on 5-4 PP.

I know this is just another one of my repetitive broken record arguments but how in the hell is this guy not on our PP??? Hardest shot on the team. One of the best statistical D on the team at getting pucks through and on the net. Has a history of being really good on the PP with good offensive zone instincts. Was always really bad at ES. Yet he doesn't get a look.

I defended the Gelinas for a 3rd trade at the time because of his qualities and what those qualities would do for this team. After a year of him never being put into a situation where he can actually put those qualities to work I'm just beyond lost at what they expect from him. Give him an opportunity or don't play him at all.

It's perplexing. Last season when we traded for him I said it's a waste of a pick, but that some value can be recovered if he is used on the PP. Too bad no one thinks of using him there.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

The problem is when you make too many mistakes at the blue-line the way he does, you can't be trusted to be the last line of defense at the blue-line on the power play.

What the hell is the point when the guy can barely handle the puck, flubs passes, and just generally makes a ton of mistakes when under pressure.

Your defense has to be able to handle the puck under pressure or you are just going to end up giving the team break aways on your power play, and I'm pretty sure that's already happened the few times he has been on the power play.

His awareness is ****, and he isn't good at keeping the puck in either.

Edit : At what point is it just not worth it for a hard slap shot?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

I'm completely with you. If you are going to make those moves, you have to give the player a shot. If you don't give the player a shot, it is pointless to make those trades.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Even if Gelinas looks bad on the blueline Beauchemin looks even worse and he's still getting ~45 seconds of PP time a game. He should be getting zero seconds of PP time per game.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
The problem is when you make too many mistakes at the blue-line the way he does, you can't be trusted to be the last line of defense at the blue-line on the power play.

What the hell is the point when the guy can barely handle the puck, flubs passes, and just generally makes a ton of mistakes when under pressure.

Your defense has to be able to handle the puck under pressure or you are just going to end up giving the team break aways on your power play, and I'm pretty sure that's already happened the few times he has been on the power play.

His awareness is ****, and he isn't good at keeping the puck in either.

Edit : At what point is it just not worth it for a hard slap shot?

But that's all entirely false. Zadorov is far worse with the puck on the offensive blue line than Gelinas. Zads has given up several breakaways and odd man rushes from a dumb play at the blue line while being up a man. Yet Bednar keeps playing him there (and rightfully so). Gelinas crumbles under pressure in his own end but he's always been good in the Ozone under pressure. He handles the puck well and rarely flubs passes. He's one of the few defenseman who can keep a play alive.

Eric Gelinas isn't just a big shot offensively. He has, and has always had pretty good offensive instincts. He makes good ozone passes, is patient and as everyone knows, has an absolute bomb.

Gelinas has 13 primary assists 5 on 4 since 2013. That's in 320 minutes
Barrie has 15 primary assists in that time in 727 minutes
EJ has 15 primary assists in that time in 503 minutes
Weircioch has 9 primary assists in that time in 346 minutes
Beauchemin has 3 primary assists in that time in 401 minutes

Gelinas' PP production isn't just from his shot. It's from knowing how to do many things on the PP. It's a shame that a lot of fans education on Gelinas is based on his poor ES time on the Avs where he's been historically bad dating back to his days in Maine because it leads to false opinions like all he has is a hard shot.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Nah I think his trade value is higher now than it will be at the draft. He's the best player available now, he might not be during the summer, the bidding should be pretty good for Matt and I'm not sure the draft gets any better of a return.

Tbh I'm not too concerned with whether the return for him is 80% or 100% or 110% of value at this point, I just wanna move on and get going with this rebuild that very much needs to happen. The real value of trading him should come via tanking for a high pick next year and just changing the locker room when him, Landy, and quite a few other guys are gone. Shame it came to this but has to be done.

Also, looks like they're cancelling morning practise for the rest of the season thoguh Dater could be confused

https://twitter.com/adater/status/824360040677179392

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Kind of misleading... it will be optional. Players can skate or shootaround if they want. Morning video and such will still be required.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad