Pre-Game Talk: Week of Shorts (SJ, VAN)

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
We're the worst team in the league and on top of that we are missing lots of our best players. Amazing.

Hey, we are 19 points back from 28th now and 8 points back from 29th. On pace for 51 points... on pace to be the worst team in the OTL point era. :laugh:

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Hey, we are 19 points back from 28th now and 8 points back from 29th. On pace for 51 points... on pace to be the worst team in the OTL point era. :laugh:

That's truly incredible. Never would have guessed in a million years that we'd be THIS bad.

I'd would be quite the accomplishment to be the worst team since the loser point.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Did anyone see Frei's mailbag piece? He said the Avs weren't happy with Bigras conditioning level in camp. Hadn't heard that before.

I haven't read it but that's disappointing to hear. Hopefully it ends differently than the last prospect whose conditioning they weren't happy with.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
That's truly incredible. Never would have guessed in a million years that we'd be THIS bad.

I'd would be quite the accomplishment to be the worst team since the loser point.

For reference, 13-14 Sabres hold the record at 52 points. It is going to be tight, but I think the Avs can do it. :yo:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Does it really matter between them all? Maybe they really expect Varly to be back right after the break?

O'Brien does allow them to not use LTIR and bank a touch.

They expect the others back too. No it doesn't matter, just trying to figure out what the hell they are doing. Even the highest in the AHL would be under 500k now.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
They expect the others back too. No it doesn't matter, just trying to figure out what the hell they are doing. Even the highest in the AHL would be under 500k now.

There are a bunch of complexities to the cap, but what you are referencing is the whole season average hit, not the daily cap it. Both matter. The daily cap hit determines if a team is banking (allowing them to go over later on), pulling from that that banking, or having to use LTIR. For this season it is 73m/180... or 405,555.55 per day. If the Avs exceed that, they use up the bank they have built up, or have to use LTIR. The O'Brien call up allows them to not use up the banking or have them use LTIR.

The IR is a big question mark, though not sure it realistically matters.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003

Worse than Buffalo, which intentionally tried to lose a couple of seasons ago. Being bad is one thing, but this is completely off the rails.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Did anyone see Frei's mailbag piece? He said the Avs weren't happy with Bigras conditioning level in camp. Hadn't heard that before.

I don't know, but that would be surprising. Bigras has a reputation as a really mature, hard-working kid.

It may be that with a new coaching staff, Bednar is not his biggest fan. Roy loved Bigras from day one.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I don't know, but that would be surprising. Bigras has a reputation as a really mature, hard-working kid.

It may be that with a new coaching staff, Bednar is not his biggest fan. Roy loved Bigras from day one.

I could actually see that... Bigras isn't an intense player by any stretch.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
There are a bunch of complexities to the cap, but what you are referencing is the whole season average hit, not the daily cap it. Both matter. The daily cap hit determines if a team is banking (allowing them to go over later on), pulling from that that banking, or having to use LTIR. For this season it is 73m/180... or 405,555.55 per day. If the Avs exceed that, they use up the bank they have built up, or have to use LTIR. The O'Brien call up allows them to not use up the banking or have them use LTIR.

The IR is a big question mark, though not sure it realistically matters.

Doing the math on this, the Avs are actually slightly over the daily cap even with O'Brien... about 254k, or 1400 per day. That will come out of the banking slightly.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Hey Avs fans, don't know where else to put this. What are your team'so go-to PP and PK units when all healthy? Thanks!

Last edited:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I could actually see that... Bigras isn't an intense player by any stretch.

I can't even fathom Bigras not being given a chance at some point... He has legit top 4 potential. I know physically he seems a little immature(may be the wrong way to put that), but he plays so smart and really seems like he can make a difference for us.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Hey Avs fans, don't know where else to put this. What are your team'so go-to PP and PK units when all healthy? Thanks!

Why? They change a lot. Just wondering what you are looking for here.

PP is probably Rantanen, MacKinnon, Landeskog, Duchene, Barrie. Sometimes Duchene is on the second unit and Iggy can be on first or second unit, second lately. Grigo, Soderberg more on the second unit as well. Zadorov has been playing on the PP too.

PK I'm not sure there's a top unit. A lot of Beauchemin, Landeskog, Comeau, Tyutin. Zadorov, Nieto, MacKinnon are on it quite a bit too.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Was Beauchemin playing a lot of PP minutes last game? I looked at his TOI and he had IIRC 3+ minutes of PP time.

Of course he was. Even after he turned the puck over, gave up odd man rushes, skated around like he didn't give a crap, etc.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Why? They change a lot. Just wondering what you are looking for here.

PP is probably Rantanen, MacKinnon, Landeskog, Duchene, Barrie. Sometimes Duchene is on the second unit and Iggy can be on first or second unit, second lately. Grigo, Soderberg more on the second unit as well. Zadorov has been playing on the PP too.

PK I'm not sure there's a top unit. A lot of Beauchemin, Landeskog, Comeau, Tyutin. Zadorov, Nieto, MacKinnon are on it quite a bit too.

Thanks.

Just curious. I like to kind of get an in depth look at all teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad