Confirmed with Link: Wedgewood to ARZ for 5th round pick

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Devs, just wanted to say what breath of fresh air Scott Wedgewood has been. We’ve hung him out to dry on numerous occasions and still manages to make the save. He is unbelievably athletic, sound positionally and very calm. No panic in his game, from what I’ve seen so far. A consummate teammate to boot.

I hope you find gold in that 5th much like you did in Bratt. You guys certainly did us a favor.

Cheers.

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
Watched the condensed version of the Vegas-game and about every 3 seconds I heard the name Wedgewood... great performance, too bad he lost it in OT. But a point is a point.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I saw this thread was bumped and immediately thought it was one of our fans, trying to tell us this trade was terrible and how we kept the wrong guy. I was promptly getting ready to get into Bleedd mode (get it? See what I did there?) for a post in here. Glad that wasn't the case though haha.

Devs, just wanted to say what breath of fresh air Scott Wedgewood has been. We’ve hung him out to dry on numerous occasions and still manages to make the save. He is unbelievably athletic, sound positionally and very calm. No panic in his game, from what I’ve seen so far. A consummate teammate to boot.

I hope you find gold in that 5th much like you did in Bratt. You guys certainly did us a favor.

Cheers.
He's already far exceeded any expectations that I ever had for him. I mean, I was high on him back in 2011 or 2012, but then he had some pretty poor seasons once he turned pro and made it to the AHL. He seemed to turn it around astronomically over the last couple years. I still wasn't sold on him after his 4 game hot streak here in 2016, as great as it was. I think it's looking like he's at least gonna be a more than serviceable backup at the NHL level. Glad to see that he's working out for you.

I'm hoping you guys get the first overall pick this year, which I genuinely and sincerely mean that, as I've always liked the Coyotes fanbase and I was hoping for McDavid to go to Arizona from the beginning, as well as Matthews the next year. :nod:

Reactions: SR

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Watched the condensed version of the Vegas-game and about every 3 seconds I heard the name Wedgewood... great performance, too bad be lost it in OT. But a point is a point.
After the way he's performed, as well as a few of the Vegas guys (Legace blows though), I'm more than ever believing that a goalie can still play well in a large sample size behind a really poor defensive team, and that they aren't system players. Especially when you compare Wedgewood and Raanta to Domingue this year and some of the Vegas goalies to Legace. As well as Schneider to Kinkaid's play this season.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Not thrilled he shut us out, but the plastic shooter tutor would have in that game so whatever, but good to see him finding some success in Arizona. He was never going to play here.

Reactions: BenedictGomez

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Similarly to Blandisi, the potential is there and in theory they would have fit fine on this roster, but for one reason or another it just wasn't going to work for them here and we continued to go with other players even if some options weren't as good.

Always hoped to see Wedge get a shot here, but unfortunately it wasn't in the cards.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I'm a huge Wedge fan and still disappointed we dealt him away.

I'd rather they got rid of Wedgewood than either Ken Appleby or MacKenzie Blackwood. Realistically somebody needed to go, which is why he got moved.

You already know what Wedgewood likely tops-out at, which is serviceable; whereas the youngsters still have much potential. Goalie prospecting is much different than skaters. Only 2 guys can fill the role per team and only 1 plays at a time, so you're basically looking for home runs and you jettison the singles and doubles. At Wedgewood's age, he's likely a "double" at best, so you move on and try to develop your kids and you need to play them to see what you've got.

HischierSeDgewOrk

May 6, 2007
Monmouth County, NJ
We need to take a step back here guys. Sucks losing him, but the reality is he went through waivers to start the season and nobody picked him up and would have had to go through waivers again to get sent down. instead of losing him for nothing, they got what they could, which was a 5th rounder. Sure, would be nice to hoard goalies, but it's just not possible to keep them all.

Reactions: BenedictGomez

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I wouldnt proclaim that so fast.

I really dont see Scott Wedgewood being an NHL goalie 4 years from now, at very least not a starter if he's still in the NHL.

Maybe so, but I think they mean for this season, not looking ahead that far into the future. They got good value in getting a serviceable stopgap goalie for the cost of a fifth round pick.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
I wouldnt proclaim that so fast.

I really dont see Scott Wedgewood being an NHL goalie 4 years from now, at very least not a starter if he's still in the NHL.

I agree, could be wrong, but I agree.

However, doing us the favor of riding us of Louis Domingue and his .885 and +3 GAV is certainly warranted for the appreciation.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
glad he’s doing well in his new digs. as others have said, there was just no room for him here. kinky>wedge now, and hopefully blackwood>kinky in 3 years.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
There is no hard data to base this claim on.
Only this season's play. Wedgewood has been better in the NHL, but one guy has played 78 games so far, while the other has only played 15 games so far. Wedgewood has a higher save percentage in his NHL career than Cory, technically he does, but context is important here. One guy has played 15 games, the other guy has played a few hundred in the league. That's kind of like saying ''Well technically, Corey Schwab was a better goaltender than Brodeur in 2002 and 2003! And Scott Clemmensen was way better than Marty in 03-04!''.

With all the data we had at the time that we traded Wedgewood, Kinkaid had the more impressive pro career at that point. Remember, Wedgewood was very bad in the AHL, until he seemed to turn the corner in 15-16. If Wedgewood had delivered up another dud season in the AHL in 15-16, I think he would have been either ECHL'd or they would have just let him walk, especially with the new regime here, who weren't the guys who drafted him and had no emotional involvement with him. That season and his 4 very impressive NHL games in 2016, might have saved his North American career. Scott Clemmensen and Ari Ahonen had better numbers in the AHL in some seasons in the early 00's in a lower save percentage era than Wedgewood had in 2013-2015 in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad