Confirmed with Link: Wedgewood to ARZ for 5th round pick

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Kind of random but okaaay...free pick and I guess Wedge was a FA who had to go through waivers. Wonder who goes to Albany to join Blackwood, Appelby?

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
Would assume this was mostly to give blackwood the ball in binghamton. And also to give Wedgewood a chance at finding his way to the NHL, since it was not going to happen in NJ.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
paul_medium.jpg

Reactions: Bleedred

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
It's not necessarily random. Arizona needs help in net, Schneider is back from injury and Wedgewood is kind of stuck in the middle with Cory, Kinkaid and Blackwood/Appelby. This allows for him to get a better chance elsewhere and for Blackwood to takeover in full in Binghamton.

It also allows him to just go to the visiting locker room and travel home with the team. :laugh: Convenience!

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Makes sense. A pick is a pick and Wedgewood had become extraneous in the organization, with no place at backup (Kinkaid is better now), no place as AHL starter (Blackwood is better tomorrow), and those were the only two places you could reasonably fit him without doing him a disservice. Good luck to him.

devsfan4life

Aug 13, 2007
FL
I did think he showed a lot of potential when he was in the NHL with us for a few games. Never really got another shot. Good luck Wedge!

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Would assume this was mostly to give blackwood the ball in binghamton. And also to give Wedgewood a chance at finding his way to the NHL, since it was not going to happen in NJ.

This and Appleby deserves to play in the AHL. Him being in the ECHL does nothing for him.

Now you can look to do a 50-30 split in Albany between Blackwood and Appleby.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
lol at the reaction of the people replying to the Devils on twitter.
they had three AHL quality goalies(Wedge, Blackwood, Appleby) and two NHL quality goalies(Schneider,Kinkaid) signed beyond this season and have drafted a goalie each in the past two drafts. They weren't going to get a lot for him and needed to create space and Wedge deserves a NHL shot.

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
And all he has to do it walk down the hall.

That must be so weird to wake up one morning and essentially be told you're moving from Binghamton to Tucson.

That's a great return for an AHL goaltender.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
And all he has to do it walk down the hall.

That must be so weird to wake up one morning and essentially be told you're moving from Binghamton to Tucson.

That's a great return for an AHL goaltender.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him back-up Raanta. Domingue has been awful this year.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
not a fan of the trade, we need our goalie prospects desperately. now we have just macblack and i guess appleby (though this is a good opportunity for him)

i mean just a 5th? :(

not gonna lie, i had a mancrush on wedge and also loved his mask

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->