Post-Game Talk: We win 6-2...Yay?

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
If any leaf did what Grieg did they would be immortalized by the fan base lol
If it was a rookie scrub they would have been sent to the ECHL and Simmons would write a scathing column about it and most of us would have agreed it was bush league. What Rielly did was chastised by the same people here defending Greig. Mo defended the crest end of story.

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
If it was a rookie scrub they would have been sent to the ECHL and Simmons would write a scathing column about it and most of us would have agreed it was bush league. What Rielly did was chastised by the same people here defending Greig. Mo defended the crest end of story.
Simmons would write a scathing article regardless of what happened, that’s his thing.

I loved Riellys response. That’s exactly what this team needs. I’m simply pointing out that if we had a player who did what Grieg did the fan base would have loved it. We’ll have to disagree that most would find it bush league.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
No reason not to be honest. He understood why they were upset, the Leafs just went through this unwritten code thing happening to them with in Ottawa.
I'm sure he doesn't want to be seen as a hypocrite.
I believe there is still a difference in what Ottawa did and us putting out our struggling PP.

Reactions: CabanaBoy5

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
His answer should be:

Our goal is to compete and win every game. We are gearing up for a tough playoff series and need to establish consistency on our top power play. I see no problem with the top unit on the ice at that stage of the game.

Back your team keefe. You’re the guy with the voice to the media.

Keefe should not have placated to Thompson there. I would have poked the bear on this one and taken a shot at Philadelphia:

“A franchise known for coaches with zip up sweaters and anger management issues.”

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I believe there is still a difference in what Ottawa did and us putting out our struggling PP.
Correct, he understood why they were upset (like I said) and explained the reason which wasn't because they were struggling.

Keefe should not have placated to Thompson there. I would have poked the bear on this one and taken a shot at Philadelphia:

“A franchise known for coaches with zip up sweaters and anger management issues.”
Did he play for Torts?

Personally I don't see how saying anything like that is beneficial to the Leafs.

Reactions: CincoHolio

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Solid win ....Philly isnt in the same league as us IMHO ....this could of been a bigger blowout IMHO

I thought Holmberg played fast......he is improving and really helps the bottom six.

I thought are D core was solid also. I still wish Benoit could get in the lineup. I dont want to replace Lilly.

Reaves is a waste for me....His skating is horrendous and he seems to have no clue whats going on the ice especially on the defensive side.

Hopefully Knies steps up after scoring....he needed the confidence.

For a team that gets crapped on alot and its always doom and gloom.....were right there as a contender. Another solid season once again....
I agree about Reaves. If he’s supposed to be a deterrent, I don’t see it. Our players are shoved into the boards and hurt, with no response. Some kind of retaliation would be appreciated. It’s the only skill he possesses. I’d prefer a quick fourth line that finishes their checks and pursues the puck relentlessly.

Reactions: aingefan and Al14

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Maybe he shouldn’t have made a soft af play on the Flyer and buried him instead of going for the flyby stick check that keeps him from being a better player.
It's not about HOW Liljegren played the Flyer, it's about an OBVIOUS penalty not being called. The last time this happened to Lilly, he got injured pretty bad.

A penalty is a penalty no matter the score, the arena, nor the teams on the ice. Missed calls go both ways, however with the 2 referee system, that was supposed to be a thing of the past.

I hate OBVIOUS penalties being missed, OR IGNORED, even when it's one of our Leaf players committing the offense.

Just because the Flyers were already on a penalty kill, it doesn't, and should NOT excuse them from any further infractions being called on them !!! IMHO, their goal to make it 6-2 should have been waived off vigorously by the Ref right there witnessing the trip on Lilly !!!

Samsonov played well enough that he DESERVED only the 1 goal against !!!

JMHO.

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
I agree about Reaves. If he’s supposed to be a deterrent, I don’t see it. Our players are shoved into the boards and hurt, with no response. Some kind of retaliation would be appreciated. It’s the only skill he possesses. I’d prefer a quick fourth line that finishes their checks and pursues the puck relentlessly.

I find it funny because its mostly trash talk Reaves does.....then he fights every once inawhile....its never like Reaves ever pounds someone to the ground. Most of the time its patty cake and alot of guys wear visors. So really where is the intidmidation ? He cant chase players down. Plays 6-8 mins and leads the team in minus.

But that is the old school mentality that Don Cherry and the likes have brainwashed into fans. Ive seen it for a long time.

Who gets intidmindated with all that plastic armour and shields nowadays? Even smaller players feel bigger with all that protection. Put cloth elbow pads and shoulder pads on them and see how hard they go into the boards.

Reaves is a circus act....nothing more. Most goons are nowadays.

Playoffs are ruled differntly like no other sport....so these types can hack and grab...interfere as the game slows down to their speed. And then after the whistle they can trash talk and crosscheck everyone....and fans can all cheer.......what grit and heart they have.

They should just put a ring in the middle of the ice between periods and ask these goons to go in there like its a UFC match on skates......that would appease everyone who loves that stuff :)

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
It's not about HOW Liljegren played the Flyer, it's about an OBVIOUS penalty not being called. The last time this happened to Lilly, he got injured pretty bad.

A penalty is a penalty no matter the score, the arena, nor the teams on the ice. Missed calls go both ways, however with the 2 referee system, that was supposed to be a thing of the past.

I hate OBVIOUS penalties being missed, OR IGNORED, even when it's one of our Leaf players committing the offense.

Just because the Flyers were already on a penalty kill, it doesn't, and should NOT excuse them from any further infractions being called on them !!! IMHO, their goal to make it 6-2 should have been waived off vigorously by the Ref right there witnessing the trip on Lilly !!!

Samsonov played well enough that he DESERVED only the 1 goal against !!!

JMHO.

I’m afraid that is the NHL....been happening for decades.....teams are down....expect a PP late to see if they can tie. Its scripted that way alot. The refs dont want to seem bias so the leafs always lead the league or close to the top of having the least PP's. Yet teams like the Avs lead the league in PP's

There is no consistancy in NHL refs.....McCauley is one of the worst against the leafs.

Then the playoffs come.....and the rules change drastically....

Reactions: OddyOh and Al14

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I remember when Zeke and Deke use to tell us the same thing every year.
I think you missed my point. Maybe the power play will let them down in the playoffs, maybe it won't. Who knows. But when it's virtually second overall in the league, what do you expect the coaching staff to do it? Changing something that is very clearly working (at least for now) would result in people screaming about why Keefe is messing with a good thing. You don't generally see teams change things that aren't broken.

Reactions: Da Mash and ACC1224

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I’m afraid that is the NHL....been happening for decades.....teams are down....expect a PP late to see if they can tie. Its scripted that way alot. The refs dont want to seem bias so the leafs always lead the league or close to the top of having the least PP's. Yet teams like the Avs lead the league in PP's

There is no consistancy in NHL refs.....McCauley is one of the worst against the leafs.

Then the playoffs come.....and the rules change drastically....
Yep, the NHL is the definition of CORRUPTION !!!

How betting is allowed on this league is INCOMPREHENSIBLE !!!

Reactions: Pinkcat

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
Yep, the NHL is the definition of CORRUPTION !!!

How betting is allowed on this league is INCOMPREHENSIBLE !!!

Betting being legal sure doesnt help. You can see it in the NFL also and their refs are not even full time employees.

Like I tell people alot when I chat sports......its bigger then all of us. Its not a sport any longer...its entertainment. I just wish the NHL would promote their stars more and encourage skill instead of encouraging hacks, grab and interference. Nothing is wrong with playing hard and having a great check to take your man out. But its obvious to whoever watches the games....the rules are sure not the same in Oct and Nov compared to playoffs. If you have to fight thru grabs and interference....taking crosschecks to the back to win....then call that type of game all year.

No wonder the NHL doesnt want to have bigger rinks....Owners lose money if seats are removed. instead they came up with the idea to add flair in regular season with 4 on 4 in OT and have a gimmick shootout...so the fans can see some skill.

I dont see the NBA having a dunking contest to see who wins in OT or the NFL play with 7 instead of 11 on the field in OT.

mogs

Jan 11, 2007
Jasper AB
A full windup slapper into an empty net is a taunt, putting the top PP unit out there is just trying to compete until the final whistle. Plus the top unit has sucked lately, they need all the practice they can get. I get why some people might not like it, but it's perfectly within the spirit of competition in the most competitive league in the world. You could just as easily say that putting Reaves out on the PP is an even bigger insult
That's what I thought too. Oh sorry you're mad we put out our best players, I guess since we're winning by so much we can put our absolute worst players on the PP, because you guys suck so much. That's definitely better.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
You don't seem to understand the point. What does having unit #2 on the ice prior to the penalty have to do with putting the A unit on the ice and then quickly changing them after the opposing teams coaches yelled at him?
It seems you don't, actually.
Depth players were just out and are tired. Put out 1st unit, and then when the 2nd unit gets a bit of rest, send them out to reward them with PP time in a blowout.
Nobody cares about what the opposing coaches said.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I'm at least encouraged that Keefe has moved Tavares off the top unit and put Bertuzzi there .. has added a different element.
But hey knowing Keefe he'll prematurely put JT back up there when they hit a bump in the road.
The PP has generated more with Tavares on the top unit than Bertuzzi.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad