Post-Game Talk: We win 6-2...Yay?

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
I find it funny because its mostly trash talk Reaves does.....then he fights every once inawhile....its never like Reaves ever pounds someone to the ground. Most of the time its patty cake and alot of guys wear visors. So really where is the intidmidation ? He cant chase players down. Plays 6-8 mins and leads the team in minus.

But that is the old school mentality that Don Cherry and the likes have brainwashed into fans. Ive seen it for a long time.

Who gets intidmindated with all that plastic armour and shields nowadays? Even smaller players feel bigger with all that protection. Put cloth elbow pads and shoulder pads on them and see how hard they go into the boards.

Reaves is a circus act....nothing more. Most goons are nowadays.

Playoffs are ruled differntly like no other sport....so these types can hack and grab...interfere as the game slows down to their speed. And then after the whistle they can trash talk and crosscheck everyone....and fans can all cheer.......what grit and heart they have.

They should just put a ring in the middle of the ice between periods and ask these goons to go in there like its a UFC match on skates......that would appease everyone who loves that stuff :)

Forget goons, lets have your top 5 in ice time fight it out ... oh wait that's what we have now, we don't want that !

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
And it’s a fair sample size?
I mean, it's the PP. You're obviously not going to have massive sample sizes for specific unit combinations in a season. But Tavares has been a better PP player throughout his career, our top unit with Tavares has a decently sized sample of being successful, and so far this year, our top unit has generated a decent amount more with Tavares on it.
Or without Marner.
The same was true before Marner got injured.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I remember when Zeke and Deke use to tell us the same thing every year.

The PP itself isn't a problem. It's the core 4's ability to raise their game, and take over series. We need their best versions, when it counts. I have no doubts that the players are good enough to go deep, at least in talent. I have questions whether they have the necessary heart and drive.

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
I think Keefe being diplomatic is a clever strategy considering we play these guys again in a couple of days. No need to add fuel to the fire.

I didn't watch the game but after reading about the PP, Keefe's response, this comment is probably the real answer to why Keefe acquiesced here. Leafs play them again on Tuesday - do we really want the nothing-to-lose Flyers taking runs at our players so late in the season? The Leafs have had Philly's number for a while now - a fact that's probably not lost on the Flyers team.

I'm one of Keefe's biggest detractors but I feel you're probably correct here with this analysis of the situation. Keefe probably did the right thing here.

plenty of "we need a coach like Tortorella" in this period as well
imho, we do.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
Missed the game but caught the highlights; Were Liljegren and McMann as good as the highlights suggested?

If we can get TL finally rounding an offensive corner...There's a "Yay!" I'll take.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Why would anyone follow such a sport?
Because, I grew up watching, playing, and loving hockey !!!

My hockey playing days started on outdoor rinks with change huts with wood stoves. I remember helping the coaches shovel the snow off of the ice in order to be able to play the games. Hockey was my only focus as a little boy and also into my teens.

As an adult I got into coaching and was pleased to be able to coach for many years.

I also started watching hockey on a 20" black and white TV back in the early 1960s'. I was only able to stay up past my bedtime on Saturday nights for Hockey Night in Canada.

Early on, the games started at 20:00 and TV coverage started with the game in progress around 20:30. There were only 6 teams in the NHL, and I knew the names and numbers of every single player on every team.

Those were some great times in my life culminating with my Leafs winning many Stanley Cups in the 1960s'. It was all topped off by the last Leafs win in 1967.

IMHO, expansion in the U.S. was at the heart of the turning of Hockey from sport into entertainment. I think 1968 was the start of the transition from hockey being Canadian to being an American controlled sport.

If Bettman thinks he can sell hockey to NASCAR and NFL football fans, he's an idiot. Slanting the ice in favor of American based teams won't convince them to switch their allegiances to the NHL.

I love the Leafs, and will till I take my last breath !!!

Last edited:

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
I want to give Matthews some credit for adjusting his offensive game last night. He recognized finding open areas and shooting lanes doesn't work as well with the linemates he had so he took on more of a playmaker style and worked the boards very well. Even though he didn't dominate the scoresheet I thought it was one of his better games this season.

Reactions: weems and ACC1224

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Because, I grew up watching, playing, and loving hockey !!!

My hockey playing days started on outdoor rinks with change huts with wood stoves. I remember helping the coaches shovel the snow off of the ice in order to be able to play the games. Hockey was my only focus as a little boy and also into my teens.

As an adult I got into coaching and was pleased to be able to coach for many years.

I also started watching hockey on a 20" black and white TV back in the early 1960s'. I was only able to stay up past my bedtime on Saturday nights for Hockey Night in Canada.

Early on, the games started at 20:00 and TV coverage started with the game in progress around 20:30. There were only 6 teams in the NHL, and I knew the names and numbers of every single player on every team.

Those were some great times in my life culminating with my Leafs winning many Stanley Cups in the 1960s'. It was all topped off by the last Leafs win in 1967.

INHO, expansion in the U.S. was at the heart of the turning of Hockey from sport into entertainment. I think 1968 was the start of the transition from hockey being Canadian to being an American controlled sport.

If Bettman thinks he can sell hockey to NASCAR and NFL football fans, he's and idiot. Slanting the ice in favor of American based teams won't convince them to switch their allegiances to the NHL.

I love the Leafs, and will till I take my last breath !!!
There are many ways to watch hockey without subjecting yourself to the 'corrupt NHL' version.

I want to give Matthews some credit for adjusting his offensive game last night. He recognized finding open areas and shooting lanes doesn't work as well with the linemates he had so he took on more of a playmaker style and worked the boards very well. Even though he didn't dominate the scoresheet I thought it was one of his better games this season.
The pass from Nylander to Matthews to Bertuzzi for the dunk was one of the nicest goals of the season.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I mean, I guess... they did do what you say. But the Flyers are not a good team, and certainly no where near an elite defensive team. There is a reason we have defeated them 8 times straight.

Our guys are given that space... and we all know what they can do when they have that space.

I am happy we won, and glad those guys scored, but this game in no what makes me feel any better about their ability to find open space in tightly contested games.

Let's see what they can generate Saturday against a much better group.

Reactions: authentic

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
I mean, I guess... they did do what you say. But the Flyers are not a good team, and certainly no where near an elite defensive team. There is a reason we have defeated them 8 times straight.

Our guys are given that space... and we all know what they can do when they have that space.

I am happy we won, and glad those guys scored, but this game in no what makes me feel any better about their ability to find open space in tightly contested games.

My point was that Matthews adjusted his game appropriately. I'm not reading a whole bunch into it, just acknowledging the fact he made the correct adjustment and did so successfully.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
My point was that Matthews adjusted his game appropriately. I'm not reading a whole bunch into it, just acknowledging the fact he made the correct adjustment and did so successfully.
Its nice to read that after many were calling him garbage last night because he's not posting hat-tricks at an all time rate anymore. Yeah he has dipped but his body of work is far from garbage and he might still hit 65+ just 10 more to go.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
That's fair, and I thought he had a good game. I guess my point is, vs an opponent like that, I don't feel he had to adjust anything.

Its nice to read that after many were calling him garbage last night because he's not posting hat-tricks at an all time rate anymore. Yeah he has dipped but his body of work is far from garbage and he might still hit 65+ just 10 more to go.
This is a good point. Expectations around him are weird. And I still think his defensive game, for a guy who can score like he does, is way underappreciated. I don't care about 60 or 65 or any other regular season total. Score some big playoff goals to get your team to the next stage... else, none of this really matters.

Reactions: authentic

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
NHL "there is no code", who cares about the empty net slap shot. Also the NHL "follow the code", dont put your number one PP unit out up 6-2.

SO hypocritical.

Reactions: TMLife17

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
If any leaf did what Grieg did they would be immortalized by the fan base lol

Absolutely. OTOH, I wouldn't have had any problem with the Ottawa player who decided to cross check him in the throat afterwards.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Screenshot_2024-03-15-17-36-05~2.png

The look of a grown man complaining to another grown man that their professional sports team is beating theirs too much. Don't be this man.

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
I didn't watch the game but after reading about the PP, Keefe's response, this comment is probably the real answer to why Keefe acquiesced here. Leafs play them again on Tuesday - do we really want the nothing-to-lose Flyers taking runs at our players so late in the season? The Leafs have had Philly's number for a while now - a fact that's probably not lost on the Flyers team.

I'm one of Keefe's biggest detractors but I feel you're probably correct here with this analysis of the situation. Keefe probably did the right thing here.

imho, we do.

Shame that Keefe is learning about gamesmanship so late in his tenure with us. I have always been indifferent to him, but this year I feel we are getting a different side to him, most likely because his handler went off to Pittsburgh.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019

Agreed, no one should take anything from those kinds of games. They won't be at all reflective of what playoff hockey looks like.

Reactions: wingman75

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I’m afraid that is the NHL....been happening for decades.....teams are down....expect a PP late to see if they can tie. Its scripted that way alot. The refs dont want to seem bias so the leafs always lead the league or close to the top of having the least PP's. Yet teams like the Avs lead the league in PP's

There is no consistancy in NHL refs.....McCauley is one of the worst against the leafs.

Then the playoffs come.....and the rules change drastically....
Over the last ten seasons (2013-14 to 2022-23):

Tampa has drawn the most penalties, Anaheim is 16th, Leafs are 23rd.
Tampa has taken the most penalties, Anaheim is second, Leafs are 24th.
For net penalties (drawn minus taken), Chicago is first, Tampa is 10th, Leafs are 15th, and Anaheim is 32nd.

Reactions: Da Mash

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3