Post-Game Talk: We waived Laich @ Chicago Circumventors (12:37pm)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
****** to lose that one when they started so well. I'm okay with it tho because they've been starting poorly and then getting stronger. IIRC they had the weak firsts problem early in the season, then had a few games like this... Start hot and then fade. And then they put it all together. Hoping to see the same progression now.

I also suspect (based on nothing really) that McLellan has a few ideas and wanted to see this matchup before making up his mind.

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
Improve the team all you can. If the NHL keeps having an agenda against the Caps it won't matter.

Also, Backstrom just looks terrible.

Well now that Potus called it, more than just the NHL. :cry:

In welcoming Chicago Blackhawks, and noting that Chicago was his hometown, to the White House for the four.. third time time excused himself, Stanley Cup Champions.

I guess Washington winning would be another feather in Potus's cap since Chigago is a been there done that. :cheers:

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
They had one 5 on 3! Well, 6 on 3.

They also had a 4 on 3.

They did not have two 5 on 3 PPs.

so what? my point stands, they had a fair chance on PPs from the refs. Blaming the refs after each game has to stop. There is no conspiracy against this team, it's just they choke, especially in the playoffs.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Orlov should not be traded. Schmidt neither unless they can get very good return, as he's very cheap right now.

That being said, for a D that is excellent at moving the puck, Nate Schmidt is offensively the worst PMD in the NHL. His shot is worse than mine, and his slap passes work once in a 40 games. Again today Johansson created 2 Grade A -chances to him in the first period and once he shot the puck way wide of the net and the second time that slapper hit Crawford right into his pads and it was slower than my wrist shot. NBC hype up about what a great game he was having was brutal to listen. When is missing great chances and playing terrible D considered as a great effort?

I don't think it's doom and gloom -attitude to say that they played a terrible game after that 1st period, few guys especially. No need to blow anything up after this game because even with this bad effort they should have at least brought this game to OT, and likely won it without the terrible officiating aswell. That's not an excuse for that effort though.

The thing about Schmidt too is he takes his time with his shot.

I've seen tons of chances this season where he gets a pass where he should one time it - but lets the puck get perfectly on his stick. Looks up.. aims... and the goalie is in perfect position by then. Then the shot is off target anyways.

With D guys I like them to have something they're really good at. Schmidt is a great skater - but offensively is still not that good. Not a good passer (both zones), a below average shot, and he's not a PP guy. On defense he's not physical, isn't good in front of the net, is turnover prone, and doesn't play much on the PK.

For the few things Schmidt does well (skating/taking the puck into the zone) he also has a few extremely bad traits about him.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
I don't think anyone can argue that if Wilson elbowed him and not toews it's a 5 min major and ejection

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
People claiming that 3rd goal isn't an icing is hilarious. Yes, Schmidt lets up, but i thought the NHL changed the rule that you no longer need to get to the puck first, but to the imaginary line? He let up way after that line.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
why the hell did Kuznetsov only get 15:48 of ice time. Trotz treatment of Kuznetsov as the 2nd line center and 2nd powerplay unit is getting stupid, he's soooooo much better than Backstrom.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
People claiming that 3rd goal isn't an icing is hilarious. Yes, Schmidt lets up, but i thought the NHL changed the rule that you no longer need to get to the puck first, but to the imaginary line? He let up way after that line.

Yes, it was icing, AND you still have to play to the whistle

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Ovechkin is calling out the refs on post game right now. A fine probably coming his way

I'd prefer he keep his trap shut and move on to the next game.

We had good chances to tie that baby up, and didnt. Plus (last time i'll say it, i promise) play to the damn whistle

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

This. Whistle should have blown when 88 reached the hash marks first. That said, you gotta play to the whistle.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Yes, it was icing, AND you still have to play to the whistle

You also need to change the rules back if you don't feel like calling as they are. If you reach the hash marks first, with the guy right behind you, it's still an icing. They changed the rules exactly so that you shouldn't have to play to the whistle... partly because of that Brouwer-Pitkanen -incident that cost the latters career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille