Post-Game Talk: We waived Laich @ Chicago Circumventors (12:37pm)

Status
Not open for further replies.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Thought the Caps played pretty well overall. I mean in the end, shots were 30-23 on the road, that's not a bad effort at all.

As for flaws, like 1st line not creating much at ES, it's nothing new. I think by now almost all of us would agree that solving that puzzle is a huge key to the SC run.

Hawks looked as advertised, solid deep team, and good when it comes to making critical plays that can alter a shift/period/game. But aside from the Kane line, which demands exceptional defensive awareness/effort, the Caps match up pretty well.

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
What do you mean, so what?

If you are going to make an argument, at least get the facts correct.

do you have anything meaningful to add besides nitpicking? for you, i repeat, my argument is and was we lost not because we were screwed ny the refs as we had our fair share in PPs. Yeah, let's nitpick and go far from the topic which is IT'S NOT THE REFS FAULT.

4 on 3 isn't too bad or are you arguing we were screwed by the refs here too?

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Thought the Caps played pretty well overall. I mean in the end, shots were 30-23 on the road, that's not a bad effort at all.

As for flaws, like 1st line not creating much at ES, it's nothing new. I think by now almost all of us would agree that solving that puzzle is a huge key to the SC run.

Hawks looked as advertised, solid deep team, and good when it comes to making critical plays that can alter a shift/period/game. But aside from the Kane line, which demands exceptional defensive awareness/effort, the Caps match up pretty well.

I really think the key is to go back to 8-92-77. I recall them being terribly dynamic to open the year. Kuznetsov has improved since then as well.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
do you have anything meaningful to add besides nitpicking? for you, i repeat, my argument is and was we lost not because we were screwed ny the refs as we had our fair share in PPs. Yeah, let's nitpick and go far from the topic which is IT'S NOT THE REFS FAULT.

Considering Chicago had 3 5 on 3s, the game was close.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It's like asking humans to be more human. Sucks, but it's reality....NHL refs are some of the worst in Pro sports.

Last edited by a moderator:

LikeAPheonix*

I don't think anyone can argue that if Wilson elbowed him and not toews it's a 5 min major and ejection

This. Trotz needs to speak up. NOW. Or else I fully expect another repeat of the 2009 playoffs. Remember being up 2-0 on the Pens...only for them to have a 2 to 1 PP advantage the rest of the series?

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
He can pay it.

The refs should be the ones paying it.

They are the ones that should be fined for todays officiating.

I think we're mainly mad not just b/c of today - but this has been consistent for awhile now. SO many bad calls on Caps are giving other teams PP's - and obvious calls are not being called to give caps PP's. This isn't a one day type thing... this has been going on for awhile now.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
There's no pickup that's going to make a difference in my mind. Pieces are there. The coaching staff needs to put a premium on passing fundamentals the rest of the way. Not only accurate passing, but reading plays and more effective movement away from the puck to give teammates passing lanes. The PP is abysmal right now, stagnant passing and stagnant skating. Nothing epitomized it better than the last 3 minutes with nary a shot on goal despite numerical advantage.

Guys like Backstrom and Oshie aren't unknown commodities. Backstrom knows how to pass. He's not seeing the ice well, and to me that's remedied in practice.

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
Of course. It's fun making up crap to drive a narrative. ;)

well, in your case you made up crap, while in mine it was an honest mistake. We have 1 5 on 3 and 1 4 on 3 which is also more dangerous than 5 on 4. My point is we should stop whining about the refs. Honestly i don't believe in the conspiracy against the Caps, but if it's true then it's a reality that needs to be accepted and live with that. If the refs are screwing us now, they will screw in the future, so that means we need to adjust.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
well, in your case you made up crap, while in mine it was an honest mistake. We have 1 5 on 3 and 1 4 on 3 which is also more dangerous than 5 on 4. My point is we should stop whining about the refs. Honestly i don't believe in the conspiracy against the Caps, but if it's true then it's a reality that needs to be accepted and live with that. If the refs are screwing us now, they will screw in the future, so that means we need to adjust.

The Caps played badly and the refs were poor. Time to move on.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Trotz said it was a "tough night for the linesmen."
3:18pm - 28 Feb 16

Per khurysdan

Arguably a tough night for trotz too. Gave more TOI to backstrom than kuzya; and his team didnt take care of some of the basic details a coach should have hammered home by now, e.g. careless giveaways in neutral and D zones, and (okay, i lied, i'm gonna mention it again) playing to the whistle.

How did toewes not kicked out of circle after jumping the gun twice in a row and then COMPLAINING to linesman for not dropping it? To say nothing of the elbow to MoJo's melon

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I really think the key is to go back to 8-92-77. I recall them being terribly dynamic to open the year. Kuznetsov has improved since then as well.

Maybe.. have to keep trying something...

I dunno, after a good start, 8-92-77 leveled off... maybe like you said, now Kuz can carry them more.

The trick is that both reshuffled lines have to work. That's been a big problem, that when they move Backstrom down to the 2nd line, that line sort of looks ok at times, but in the end does not generate offense.

I would consider including 3rd line in the shuffling. For example, try Wilson in top-6 at the expense of Oshie... Not that Wilson is a better player, but maybe it would spark a different dynamic. And Oshie is a player that can play 3rd line/two-way role, perhaps it'll help him to be with two fast players.

Anyway, whatever they try, I'm for it. Though I'm not sure how much Trotz is ready to experiment there. He is pretty objective overall, but I think he might be having a hard time being objective about the 1st line's performance...

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Maybe.. have to keep trying something...

I dunno, after a good start, 8-92-77 leveled off... maybe like you said, now Kuz can carry them more.

The trick is that both reshuffled lines have to work. That's been a big problem, that when they move Backstrom down to the 2nd line, that line sort of looks ok at times, but in the end does not generate offense.

I would consider including 3rd line in the shuffling. For example, try Wilson in top-6 at the expense of Oshie... Not that Wilson is a better player, but maybe it would spark a different dynamic. And Oshie is a player that can play 3rd line/two-way role, perhaps it'll help him to be with two fast players.

Anyway, whatever they try, I'm for it. Though I'm not sure how much Trotz is ready to experiment there. He is pretty objective overall, but I think he might be having a hard time being objective about the 1st line's performance...

Can't recall completely but once Nicky came back didn't he play super well with JDub? I know Mojo was the LW then but seemed like Nicky and JDub had chemistry for a little while back then.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Can't recall completely but once Nicky came back didn't he play super well with JDub? I know Mojo was the LW then but seemed like Nicky and JDub had chemistry for a little while back then.

I think they looked good for a while, but weren't really scoring. Although, that was before Burakovsky came alive.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
At this point I'd be willing to try 90 at 1C for a little bit but based on how highly Trotz thinks of 19 I'd say the chances of that are null (as it would surely mean 19 at 3C).

Just stop with 19-77.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013

He did. Williams has been good with either of the top-2 C's.

That is a gamble though. That stretch you mentioned was still during the good old days when Backstrom was actually effective ES aswell.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
It's going to be a long month IMO. I don't think were going to get a lot of games where we see the real caps until the playoffs start. My biggest fear right now is more injure issues and getting so lethargic we don't recover when it counts. But if any caps team could turn it on when they want it will be this one.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
I don't like pulling goalie on 5-on-3. Other team has green light to go for the ENG w/o risking icing, and a 6th attacker sometimes seems to result in offensive clutter and confusion more than actual increased scoring chances.

Then again, today we didnt get much chance to see how it played out, since we scored so quick after the draw.

What did Hjallmarson do to get unsportsmanlike call, btw?

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
I've already suggested 8-90-43 =)

No thanks. I think one reason for 90's renaissance is getting him away from Ovie and other top-6'ers. He was overly deferential with passes and was going against other team's stronger checking lines. Leave 90 be. 3C has been sweet spot for him. Just flip 19 & 92, IMO

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
This. Trotz needs to speak up. NOW. Or else I fully expect another repeat of the 2009 playoffs. Remember being up 2-0 on the Pens...only for them to have a 2 to 1 PP advantage the rest of the series?
Agree.
Game 3 in Pitt was a must win for Pens and something like 4-5 of the first 5-6 PPs were for Pitt. Caps beat them twice now all of a sudden the Pens "found" their game. Caps still sent that one to OT on a late (let's make the calls look "close") PP. Pitt escaped and continued to get the better of the calls.

Games in MSG vs Rongos are similar :shakehead

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
Stopped reading the GDT ~2:45 to do some chores. Just catching up.

A bit too much negative hyperbole considering the poor reffing and the top opponent. An opponent more in need of points than we are - exhibit A. Dallas Stars. Caps clearly outplayed them in the 1Pd.

Sure, fans have a point about playing to the whistle. Then just go back to the prior icing rules... if the refs are so incompetent :rant:

All in all, I'm w/the fans that realize this is a game in Feb where the Caps are running away w/the Metro & East. We're 1-1 w/them this season, and it will be great if we meet them later this season :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad