Post-Game Talk: We lose

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
Couldn't even imagine what this board would be like if we were 2-4-1 instead of 4-2-1.

We're 7 games into a season with an entirely new coaching staff, 5 new players and we were missing two top six players for 4 out of 7 games... And we have a winning record.

Give it some time guys, jeez.
OK fine, I am going to hold myself accountable to this. How many games into this year is fair to the team and coach? Serious question? 25? 50? And what does it mean to start evaluating grades post some game count threshold? Is it record, vet play, young player development, combo of all three?

By the new year. I will give them until the new year. Personally, I don't care about the playoffs because I think that's a tall order, so I am going to look for vet play/effort and young players improvement. Will comment then.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
OK fine, I am going to hold myself accountable to this. How many games into this year is fair to the team and coach? Serious question? 25? 50? And what does it mean to start evaluating grades post some game count threshold? Is it record, vet play, young player development, combo of all three?

By the new year. I will give them until the new year. Personally, I don't care about the playoffs because I think that's a tall order, so I am going to look for vet play/effort and young players improvement. Will comment then.
We should definitely start looking like the team we expect by Thanksgiving.

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
which goals?

First he was not on the ice
Second was a result of Nemeth's giveaway
Third he was not on the ice
Fourth he was not on the ice
Fifth? with 4. sec left on the PK? Was he on ice there - I don't think so.

The second goal stands out to me. He had the puck for a good 3 seconds, had plenty of time to flip the puck off the glass and get it out- instead he reversed it back to Nemeth, made a terrible pass into his feet that caused Nemeth to make a poor pass because he was under pressure. I'll take it back- only one goal can be attributed to him but the point still stands that he's been abysmal in multiple games this season and, still 4 years into his career refuses to make a simple play.

Why do you want to defend the guy? He's been a interchangeable( at best) part of the Rangers and I can almost certainly say he's on his way out.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
This was the game that people who had been complaining all along knew was coming and people who were saying things like "lol they won 4 in a row omg you guys will complain about anything" were clueless about.

Blais to Win

Dec 16, 2009
I'm in agreement with those who have said let's see where we are after next month. It is way too early to arrive at fatalistic conclusions.

Overall it looked like they couldn't get anything going through the neutral zone and while they needed to get in Calgary's zone and cycle and they decided to play fancy/stretch pass. Maybe they were tired because by the middle of the third it looked like they were done trying anything at all.

Reactions: Brother Mouzone

AceKing21

Oct 19, 2021
Central NY
Markstrom played out of his mind and made some spectacular saves. If 1 or 2 of those cross the goal line it's a different game, the crowd is into it, the players are playing with more fire and Calgary has no momentum. Again the PP is putrid and needs to be addressed somehow. I am sick of seeing Panarin on the right side of the ice during the PP.

Brother Mouzone

May 23, 2014
We should definitely start looking like the team we expect by Thanksgiving.
lord-this.gif

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY

I'd say at LEAST 20 games is fair before rendering a verdict. Especially when we have played twice on home ice thus far.

I mean we have people in this thread wondering how we are going to get out of Panarin's contract after 7 games. It's laughable stuff.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I'd say at LEAST 20 games is fair before rendering a verdict. Especially when we have played twice on home ice thus far.

I mean we have people in this thread wondering how we are going to get out of Panarin's contract after 7 games. It's laughable stuff.
Not to mention Panarin is probably going to have like a 4 point night on Friday or Sunday and he's going to be back over PPG.

New coach, new players, young kids progressing, new system. They deserve at least 15-20 games for us to expect them to start looking like the team we expect.

The good news is if we can keep winning while working out the kinks and gelling then we will be much better off.

Reactions: BobSantos

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
The second goal stands out to me. He had the puck for a good 3 seconds, had plenty of time to flip the puck off the glass and get it out- instead he reversed it back to Nemeth, made a terrible pass into his feet that caused Nemeth to make a poor pass because he was under pressure. I'll take it back- only one goal can be attributed to him but the point still stands that he's been abysmal in multiple games this season and, still 4 years into his career refuses to make a simple play.

Why do you want to defend the guy? He's been a interchangeable( at best) part of the Rangers and I can almost certainly say he's on his way out.

I was defending him against the charge of being responsible for two goals.

He's good at getting the puck in the zone. I believe he ranked highly among forwards (league-wide) in scoring/60 at 5 on 5 last year. I don't see him as a problem & want to see more of what he can do.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York

yes at least 20 games so we can be out of the playoff hunt and then go on a big winning streak in february and march but sitll miss the playoffs and draft 16th again. Then do it all again next year. October and November games are worth the exact same 2 points and we need the if have any shot, especially considering nobody in our division can lose right now.

Reactions: ArPanet

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
This was the game that people who had been complaining all along knew was coming and people who were saying things like "lol they won 4 in a row omg you guys will complain about anything" were clueless about.

Yes, those people that didn't think the sky is falling despite *checks notes* winning 4 in a row, thought the Rangers would never have a bad loss every again.

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
yes at least 20 games so we can be out of the playoff hunt and then go on a big winning streak in february and march but sitll miss the playoffs and draft 16th again. Then do it all again next year. October and November games are worth the exact same 2 points and we need the if have any shot, especially considering nobody in our division can lose right now.

Again, we are 4-2-1. Relax

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA

Uh dog we are 4-2-1.... You gonna have the same energy 50 games thru the year and we are 26-13-4? Or you gonna realize that even Stanley Cup winning teams aren't lights out every single night

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013
One of the biggest issues I see with this team is their transition defense. We give up our zone so easily and teams are coming in with way too much speed. The first goal was just really bad 4v4 transition D. Two guys got caught deep and led to a 3v2 coming in.

Transition both ways has been awful.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
That would be pretty damned amazing. My point is that I agree, it is early to judge EITHER WAY. Do we expect Buffalo to rake all year? Vegas to be bad? No.

What I am saying is that I am holding off posting doom and projecting anything until after the new year because discourse here has become a bit dramatic. I am guilty. However, REGARDLESS, I do not expect the playoffs at any rate because too many other teams are better. My expectations is not the ultimate reality and I want them to get in the dance. Good teams can miss the playoffs. I only truly care about our young players developing and our vets not getting hurt.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Not to mention Panarin is probably going to have like a 4 point night on Friday or Sunday and he's going to be back over PPG.

New coach, new players, young kids progressing, new system. They deserve at least 15-20 games for us to expect them to start looking like the team we expect.

The good news is if we can keep winning while working out the kinks and gelling then we will be much better off.

No offense, but Panarin has looked like he's playing the same old system of lateral stretch passes, and maybe that's the problem. Also, again, not directed at you, but 10 games as some people have urged for now becomes 15-20 for them to gel.

Last edited:
Reactions: tomobson

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
That would be pretty damned amazing. My point is that I agree, it is early to judge EITHER WAY. Do we expect Buffalo to rake all year? Vegas to be bad? No.

What I am saying is that I am holding off posting doom and projecting anything until after the new year because discourse here has become a bit dramatic. I am guilty. However, REGARDLESS, I do not expect the playoffs at any rate because too many other teams are better. My expectations is not the ultimate reality and I want them to get in the dance. Good teams can miss the playoffs. I only truly care about our young players developing and our vets not getting hurt.

Fair enough. My thinking is that we haven't played even close to our potential and we are still 4-2-1. I fully expect this team to make the playoffs

Reactions: Brother Mouzone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad