Pre-Game Talk: We Don't Play Until Next Month... And It's Outdoors! | Leafs @ Caps | March 3rd

member 262271

It has happened before. When Mats Sundin was at 497 career goals he scored a hat trick to reach 500 for his career. I was even there to see it live.

So let's hope this is something Ovechkin can not get and maybe the conditions will make it harder.
Ah that was the Calgary game in OT right? That was so good.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
saturday night forcast for the game is cloudy, low of 34 degrees and wind gusts of 40-50 mph lol

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
It has happened before. When Mats Sundin was at 497 career goals he scored a hat trick to reach 500 for his career. I was even there to see it live.

So let's hope this is something Ovechkin can not get and maybe the conditions will make it harder.

Haha I remember that game. It was awesome. In O.T on Kip. Slapper just over the blue line top corner. Greatest part. I lived in Calgary at the time. Games on earlier out there. Went out and celebrated in the Calgary bars with my Leaf jersey on. Calgary fans were really good about it.

Reactions: MattySnipes

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
yeah for the fans as well. outdoor games are so stupid

I wouldn't want to be sitting outside in that sort of weather at that time of night, not pleasant

well they already cancelled the outside practices for tomorrow at the stadium so it will be interesting to see what happens

Not exactly ideal for either team not even getting a practice outside even if the game does go on

they might have to move it back inside

I'd imagine that postponing a game this late in the season isn't really an option either

Sorting out the tickets would be a nightmare, you would have twice the normal capacity outside that you could even get inside

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I wouldn't want to be sitting outside in that sort of weather at that time of night, not pleasant

Not exactly ideal for either team not even getting a practice outside even if the game does go on

I'd imagine that postponing a game this late in the season isn't really an option either

Sorting out the tickets would be a nightmare, you would have twice the normal capacity outside that you could even get inside
yeah good points. Outdoor games were good at the start, but have gotten way way out of hand

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
yeah good points. Outdoor games were good at the start, but have gotten way way out of hand

To many games and to weather dependent, especially this late in the season when rescheduling is a nightmare, or you screw over the ticket buyers because you can only seat 50% of them if you move the game inside on the night

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Is this a game that has been gathering interest in your area? Doesn't seem like our media is really talking about it at all. Not the Caps first go round at an outdoor game either.

I think it's more about the naval academy itself then Washington. It's more about honoring military. There's supposed to be a lot of pregame stuff such as honoring the USA women's gold medal team and curling gold medal teams and navy performances

West Point (Army) and the Air Force colleges are supposed to get their game next year

Reactions: Raging Bull

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Haha I remember that game. It was awesome. In O.T on Kip. Slapper just over the blue line top corner. Greatest part. I lived in Calgary at the time. Games on earlier out there. Went out and celebrated in the Calgary bars with my Leaf jersey on. Calgary fans were really good about it.
Beautiful shot, classic Sundin! He was GOD in OT in his time here. Remember that goal like it was yesterday!

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
navy_after.jpeg

Assuming the game goes on, the problem is gonna be the left side of the stadium. It's basically open allowing all the wind to come in that way which would either be blowing at the back of a goalie and in the face of the other

Oh and you can bring a blanket and sit on the grass if you want too. Those are actual seats

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Sucks Matthews is going to be out but we still have a good contingent of players from the US program, Hainsey, Gardiner, Carrick and JVR.
Yeah it does suck but in a way it's good. They clearly gave us this game because they wanna advertise Matty in the USA along with our playoff matchup. With the NHL disrespecting our organization and not giving us a 100th anniversary celebration of events (ASG + Draft), I say screw you Daly & Bettman. Advertise JVR & Gardiner :sarcasm:

Reactions: Raging Bull

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

only issue is that since almost half of the stadium is active/retired military and the students at the naval academy and the other half is paid fans, who loses out if it moves back inside? the people that paid for the seats or the military

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
only issue is that since almost half of the stadium is active/retired military and the students at the naval academy and the other half is paid fans, who loses out if it moves back inside? the people that paid for the seats or the military
Yeah, that's a tough one but I'm sure they had a contingency for this.
If it was up to me I'd say let the military attend and refund every one else. I doubt they'll do that though.
Too bad they couldn't just play a double header.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad