Pre-Game Talk: We Don't Play Until Next Month... And It's Outdoors! | Leafs @ Caps | March 3rd

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Looking forward to this one. Kind of snuck up on us..

It's like oh ya we are playing an actual outdoor game this weekend.

Cool!

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Well hopefully the game can proceed as planned. Of course I'm worried about being buried in snowfall this weekend so my concerns are split right now :laugh:.

As to the Sundin goal....that was a classic. Only a few hockey memories stuck with me as clearly as watching that goal. Those were some good times.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Any update on whether this game will go on as planned?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
should be center, will probably be a winger with Plek and Hyman again

talk about stifling the poor kid, offensive winger gets plekanek and hyman to feed off. Surely marleau is a better option with nylander and kapanen on the wings, then hyman with kadri and marner (only because babcock would never disrespect hyman by putting him on the 4th line). if nylander isn't at C there is no reason to give him 2 offensively inept players

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
talk about stifling the poor kid, offensive winger gets plekanek and hyman to feed off. Surely marleau is a better option with nylander and kapanen on the wings, then hyman with kadri and marner (only because babcock would never disrespect hyman by putting him on the 4th line). if nylander isn't at C there is no reason to give him 2 offensively inept players

They could be using the fact that Matthews is out, and they have something like a 20 point playoff cushion, to have Nylander focus on things other than offense for a few games.

Maybe they want to use the opportunity as a teaching moment for him.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Any update on whether this game will go on as planned?

most likely but dude i dont know what its like for toronto weather but we got gusts of 80 mph here right now. hundreds of thousands without power, debris flying etc

Last edited:

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
I don't know how many goals Ovechkin is away from 600 for his career so let's hope it does not come against us.

Also hopefully the trend continues where the home teams usually loses the outdoor games and the Leafs can win.

Finally let's hope for this time outdoors the Leafs can score the first goal and won't go into overtime or a shootout like we saw in the Winter Classic and Centennial Classic.
597, would need a hat trick this weekend!

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
They could be using the fact that Matthews is out, and they have something like a 20 point playoff cushion, to have Nylander focus on things other than offense for a few games.

Wouldn't the ultimate teaching moment in this case be Nylander learning how to properly control the ice as a centremen. This seems like the perfect time to put him there, let him make a couple mistakes and teach him. This way next year it isn't an experiment anymore, they will know he's a centre or a winger.

Reactions: blueberrie

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

shouldn't we be looking at winning our division or at least getting home ice advantage rather than viewing games as "teaching moments" and possibly throwing away points? Having a playoff cushion doesn't mean games aren't still very important

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Wouldn't the ultimate teaching moment in this case be Nylander learning how to properly control the ice as a centremen. This seems like the perfect time to put him there, let him make a couple mistakes and teach him. This way next year it isn't an experiment anymore, they will know he's a centre or a winger.
It's a tough call - This is the kind of thing I'd like to see as well, but we could be trying to keep things as close to our Playoff roster as possible in order to gear up for when things really matter.

I do see Willy as a long-term Center, though.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
most likely but dude i dont know what its like for toronto weather but we got gusts of 80 mph here right now. hundreds of thousands without power, debris flying etc
Wow that's crazy...we got a late winter storm last night but it wasn't as bad as predicted....sun is shining right now and it's above freezing.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
It's a tough call - This is the kind of thing I'd like to see as well, but we could be trying to keep things as close to our Playoff roster as possible in order to gear up for when things really matter.

I do see Willy as a long-term Center, though.
I agree entirely. Although with Matthews out, I don't see Willy at centre as a big mix up, seeing as that line is disrupted anyways. It's pretty obvious he'll only be at C until Matts is back (Matthews, Kadri, Bozak, Plek). Add a winger to Ny/Hyman line and see what he has for a couple games (or more?? :'( ), then go back to the norm when Auston returns.

Reactions: IBeL13f

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

i also wonder if it occurs to people it's not about stiffing anyone, but getting a lot of people familiar with other players, so in the playoffs, if something isn't working, you could throw together a line of Will/Plek/Kapanen so you have that defensive mind with offensive punch and you don't have to worry about chemistry and non fits?

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
We might bounce that thang up real hard on this one. Outdoors and all. Twerkin and smashing that thang. Hopefully Polak gets his best game as he might be cold during this one. He will have to move that beautiful thang around and then some.

We might win this one real hard. Score like there's no tomorrow and win like 2-4. We want to suit and boot that up real hard and warm that thang up. Put some socks on y'all heard me. And some underwear.

Reactions: Angry Penguin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad