GDT: We are crushing their heads! New Jersey Devils vs. the Philidelphia Flyers, 7PM EST

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
yeah they are still in a good position playing the least amount of games in the division and still in 3rd place.

the problem is it's only a 4 point difference separating us from last place and even with games in hand, reality is that over the course of 41 games that 4 point difference isn't very significant at all. we could easily find ourselves losing 2 games or more than every team below us over 41 and miss out.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
We’re still 1 point back of CBJ with 4 games in hand and 3 points up on NYR with a game in hand. And we’re riding the longest current losing streak in the NHL. This team played well enough before to get some cushion so a streak like this doesn’t kill them. But if we lose to NYI I’m gonna be really really worried.

I am past worried and I am past concerned even longer.

We are a loss or two away from another free fall.

Letting the Philly fans celebrate like that last night with their putrid green Eagles gear was a damn shame in our building too.

Reactions: Aethon and Bleedred

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
Best moment of the game as far as I'm concerned :

hey, how dare you bring positivity into this thread !!!!
We all need to chill about our losing streak, just check out some of last nights scores, good teams losing to cellar dwellers and teams like Washington, Columbus not doing great right now, these are the dog days of the season.

Reactions: glenwo2

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
No doubt, but there's plenty here ready to tag the toe and send the body to the morgue while it's still warm.

We still control our own destiny more than other teams, and they can get this corrected. I'm not jumping ship just yet. I'm in the same frame of mind as you, time to show that same mentality that got you this far.

What has this team done in the past 6 games that makes you so confident they can turn it around? The captain is a useless plug of a player and seems just happy to be collecting a pay check. His leadership abilities are even weaker than his pathetic clearing attempts. The coaching staff has no clue how to fix the actual problems with this team, many of them coming from how they coach. They have no ability to make in game adjustments until it's entirely too late.

Schneider isn't a top 10 elite goalie that is going to carry this team anywhere since he isn't atheletic enough to do so. He's just a good goalie that lacks the atheletic ability that makes the real top 10 goalies elite. Unless the puck is shot right at him with minimal screening, it's up in the air as to whether or not the other team is scoring. And even if he sees it, he's good for a weak goal or two on very saveable shots. If it's a cross crease back door play? The majority of the time it's going in the back of the net since he lacks the lower body explosiveness and agility / atheleticism to move laterally to make a desperation save. His rebound control has been piss poor over this 6 game losing and for the most part this year has been hit or miss. Hes also been falling to the ice entirely way too much and then flops around like a fish. You add all this to shaky defending, you get a losing streak like this.

Bad goaltending makes a mediocre defense look worse than it is, and bad defense makes a good goalie look worse than it is. This losing streak has been a combo of the two, with a side of shit coaching. Oh, and obviously shit reffing as the rotting cherry on top of a shit sundae

Last edited:
Reactions: ReddandBlack92

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
If we lose Tuesday I may need to take a break from this place just to maintain my sanity (what little I have left anyway).

I've been taking this approach a lot lately.

leaving-now-grandpa-simpsons.gif

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
What was Zajac given the team's most ice time and most power play time last night?

Simple. Zajac is the only forward that plays both PP and PK aside from Bratt.

Complaining about PP TOI is stupid because it essentially boils down to whoever gets off the ice first. Not like he played 5 minutes and the rest of the team was playing three minutes. The difference is likely very small.

Reactions: Devils090

Saint Beaurivage

Jersey Shore
Nov 18, 2017
Simple. Zajac is the only forward that plays both PP and PK aside from Bratt.

Complaining about PP TOI is stupid because it essentially boils down to whoever gets off the ice first. Not like he played 5 minutes and the rest of the team was playing three minutes. The difference is likely very small.

It is not a stupid comment. Zajac is the last player that should be on the power play. He didn't score once again, did he? I don't want to hear about face-offs either.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
They really need to get the powerplay in order. I think this is easily the biggest issue because even though it’s potted a goal here and there, it’s largely been struggling for weeks now and is not the weapon it should be at opportunistic times. When you fail to produce on the powerplay, it just puts more pressure on all other aspects of the game and that’s a bad formula for a team that’s struggling. It literally cost them the last two games. A 4 on 3 pp in overtime against the Islanders and 7 total man advantages against the Flyers last night. They got one point in the standings. It’s nowhere near good enough, especially for a team that’s not stellar at keeping pucks out of their own net.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
It is not a stupid comment. Zajac is the last player that should be on the power play. He didn't score once again, did he? I don't want to hear about face-offs either.

He’s coming off a two goal game and has had 5 points in 4 games. And why don’t you want to hear about face offs?

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
yeah they are still in a good position playing the least amount of games in the division and still in 3rd place.

the problem is it's only a 4 point difference separating us from last place and even with games in hand, reality is that over the course of 41 games that 4 point difference isn't very significant at all. we could easily find ourselves losing 2 games or more than every team below us over 41 and miss out.

We also have a lot of head to head games aginst the teams chasing us. That can make that gap disappear.

The scary thing is they have gotten their ass kicked by division opponents this year and have a lot of division games remaining. They haven’t even played Pittsburgh or Carolina yet.

njdevils19

Jan 11, 2007
Northern NJ
Zajac was also likely matching up against the Giroux line. People seem to not take special teams or matchups into account when looking at ice time.

That then puts his linemates in a checking role. If he is going to be a checking forward he shouldn't have 2 top 6 wingers alongside him.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
I'm not a huge Zajac supporter but his 5v5 time was distributed fine last night. It seemed Hynes wanted Zajac's line out against Philly 1st line, Zacha's line against Philly's 2nd and Hischier's against their 3rd. Now he could do with less PP time but if he's on the team might as well match him against guys like Giroux because he's actually a guy that can not get pinned in all the time in hard minutes. I guess the question is if you want guys like Johansson and Palmieri to be playing those minutes along with Zajac which might not be the ideal situation for them but if you want to keep Hischier-Hall and Wood-Zacha together then there isn't much better options.

Zacha actually got the most 5v5 minutes out of the forwards last night although that's probably because Hynes kept on playing his line like every other shift near the end of the game lol.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
We also have a lot of head to head games aginst the teams chasing us. That can make that gap disappear.

The scary thing is they have gotten their ass kicked by division opponents this year and have a lot of division games remaining. They haven’t even played Pittsburgh or Carolina yet.
it can also make the gap bigger too. it's not like they've been blowouts against the other divisional teams. Only games I can say they completely got their ass kicked in was the 5-2 loss against the Rangers and the games against the caps.

Anyway Rangers have a lot more away games than home left and they haven't had their california road trip yet or their Western Canada one. Not to say anything is guaranteed but that might be able to help out the Devils in separation from a team like the Rangers.

Also it's not like the Devils losing streak will go on forever so it's not a bad spot to be in. Anyone would have signed up to have this record at this point in the year. Although it's a bit concerning it not close to the end of the world yet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad