GDT: We are crushing their heads! New Jersey Devils vs. the Philidelphia Flyers, 7PM EST

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
A few goalies I would take over Schneider in a heart beat. Bobrovsky, Holtby, Fleury, Quick, Allen, Crawford, Rinne, Vasilevskiy, Gibson, Hellebuyck, and Price. Rask, Dubnyk and Andersen are guys I would probably take over him as well, well..... maybe not Rask since he is a bit of a headcase sometimes.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Cory did have a really strong stretch of like 17 starts before this losing streak, so he can be better obviously, but so many goals have come off mind numbingly stupid decisions or breakdowns lately that I have a hard time saying goaltending is a major problem.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
A few goalies I would take over Schneider in a heart beat. Bobrovsky, Holtby, Fleury, Quick, Allen, Crawford, Rinne, Vasilevskiy, Gibson, Hellebuyck, and Price. Rask, Dubnyk and Andersen are guys I would probably take over him as well, well..... maybe not Rask since he is a bit of a headcase sometimes.
Allen is pretty bad.

He's got inferior numbers on a much stronger team. For me, Allen is a bottom 3 starter in the NHL. Only Ward and maybe Halak are worse. I don't consider Darling a starter in Carolina, he's been a complete flop.

Ward, Halak, Elliott, Allen and Jones are probably the bottom 5 for me. Jones is another overrated and mediocre goalie. Just watching tonight, where he allows 3 goals on 6 shots and gets (rightfully) yanked, with two of them being stoppable and the first one being a complete stinker. That should have been a blowout win and not a 6-5 OT win, if not for Jones, who is so mediocre and his next contract really sucks.

I think it's fair to say Cory isn't top 5, but I think he's still in the top 10, I'll revisit that after this season. If he has another average or below average season when we're at the end, I'll take him out of the top 10.

I don't really even think there is a top 11-25 bracket. There's like a bottom 3-5 (Ward, Halak, Allen, Elliot, Jones) and then there's probably 15-17 goalies that aren't really that much better or worse than each other and are interchangeable, then there's maybe 8-10 that I'd consider better than the other 20-23 starters in the league. And outside of Ward and maybe Halak, Allen, Elliott and Jones aren't really that bad, they just aren't very good either. Reimer is another poor starter, but I'm still counting Luongo as their starter. He probably would be if he hadn't been injured a bunch over the last two years..

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Things got even more out of hand when they tried to match up Severson away from the Flyers top line.

Severson was getting pushed around, but in the end Lovejoy, Vats, and Moore got pushed around even worse.

Moore and Lovejoy has a lot of trouble tonight.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Things got even more out of hand when they tried to match up Severson away from the Flyers top line.

Severson was getting pushed around, but in the end Lovejoy, Vats, and Moore got pushed around even worse.

Moore and Lovejoy has a lot of trouble tonight.
This was one of Lovejoy's worst games of the year.

I can't say that about him most nights, but he was awful tonight.

It's pretty easy to justify taking him out next game.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014

Sub out Allen and Hellebuyck

Put in Hank

Dubnyk and Anderson are not better than Schneider

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Schneider needs to be better for sure but I’ve noticed a lot if the goals against lately are just awful breakdowns or plain bad luck.

First goal tonight-deflected shot he makes a save and Cooter is right there between two of our guys to put it in

2nd and 3rd-both P.P goals which the shooter was not contested and the first one hit off Simmonds knee and in.

4th-egregious breakaway initially saved, rebound put in with zero help from trailing dman

5th-complete breakdown

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Schneider needs to be better for sure but I’ve noticed a lot if the goals against lately are just awful breakdowns or plain bad luck.

First goal tonight-deflected shot he makes a save and Cooter is right there between two of our guys to put it in

2nd and 3rd-both P.P goals which the shooter was not contested and the first one hit off Simmonds knee and in.

4th-egregious breakaway initially saved, rebound put in with zero help from trailing dman

5th-complete breakdown

Severson needed to get back on that 4th goal. Have no idea where Greene was either.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Sub out Allen and Hellebuyck

Put in Hank

Dubnyk and Anderson are not better than Schneider
The Andersen from Toronto is looking pretty good, but the Anderson from Ottawa looks washed up this year. They might have jumped the shark with extending him two more years to be their starter. A contract that doesn't start until next year.

I don't think Dubnyk is that good either. He's in that 10-27 goalie ranking for me. Really bad one year, really good one year, average one year, pretty good again the next year, average the next year. Too inconsistent from year to year for me. Prone to an abysmal about as frequently as he's prone to an out of his mind year.

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
A team in disarray.

Don't see them making the playoffs. Good teams don't lose 5 or more in a row.

Marv4Life

Mar 5, 2006
Minnesota
And once again the collapse is underway. This is why I'm hesitant to proclaim anything positive about this teram at this time of the season and get confident. If it's not one thing it's another.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
And once again the collapse is underway. This is why I'm hesitant to proclaim anything positive about this teram at this time of the season and get confident. If it's not one thing it's another.
I don't blame you. After the last two losses, I'm losing a lot of the confidence that I had. If it ends on Tuesday, we're still doing good, but it has to end and we have put together another little run because we've used up a bit of our margin for error with this losing streak. We still have some remaining, but I don't think we can afford another losing streak this long for the rest of the season.

And right now that 5 game winning streak is looking really valuable. If we had lost one or two of those games? We'd already be barely ahead of Pittsburgh, Philly and Carolina and hanging out on the bubble. It's nice we got points in a few of these games, but that game against the Islanders was a point lost, as far as I'm concerned, not a point gained. The only way I consider a point gained is if we're counting ourselves lucky that we didn't have that shot off the post wind up in the back of the net and lose in regulation, after staying glued in our end for the last 10 minutes of regulation.

And our record against the Metro needs to be better. Teams like the Islanders and Pens (namely since we particularly struggle with them) can make up ground just by racking up their points against us. Same with the Flyers and Canes, although we usually dominate the Flyers. Bottom line is if those teams pass us, we choked it away, plain and simple.

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
Finally I can watch the games in fast forward mode again, just like last season. And 90 percent of the time, I am now able to predict the outcome of Devil-games after watching the first ten minutes of games. When they just gave away their power plays in period one I knew they were doomed again, especially since the Flyers-goals seemed to come way easier. It was fun while it lasted, but January 2018 is our December 2016.

Reactions: theoptimist

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Looks like the usual drama queens are making their way out of the woodwork during the worst stretch of the season.

It's not like there's 40 games left in the season or anything...

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
NJ gets Islanders on tuesday on back to back as they fly back from Montreal. And Isles let tons of great chances to Rangers yesterday but they missed it or Halak was there to stop it. It would be a good time to end that losing streak at Barclays.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
To think I was ticked off all week I had to miss this game cause some of my friends roped me into going to a dinner party. Now I'd rather miss all the games till they snap the **** out of this spiral of death. No they're not as great as they were the first 35 games but now they just look 2016-17 type bad, which they shouldn't.

Looks like the usual drama queens are making their way out of the woodwork during the worst stretch of the season.

It's not like there's 40 games left in the season or anything...

True but by the same token it's not going to get any easier this week either. Of course we got the Isles going again, and now have to play them again when they're in buzzard mode. And we're the Caps' *****es till further notice. This team needs to buck up and show the same resolve with a lead that they show when they're behind, and play the same when they have expectations as they do when they started the season as the scrappy underdog.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
To think I was ticked off all week I had to miss this game cause some of my friends roped me into going to a dinner party. Now I'd rather miss all the games till they snap the **** out of this spiral of death. No they're not as great as they were the first 35 games but now they just look 2016-17 type bad, which they shouldn't.
I hope the dinner was good at least?

It’s funny how many comparisons there have been to last year with this game. This game was seriously the 16-17 special.

It had it all, right out of December 2016. You had us getting the first goal of the game, just a few minutes in and losing in the end. That was a regular occurrence last year. Then you had the shitty and dead special teams come in and kill momentum. You had Cory get destroyed for 5 goals, you had Hynes not even mercy pull him at 5-2 with half a period left. You even had Lovejoy looking pretty abysmal tonight, which you can’t say has happened much this year.

The only thing this game was missing from last year was we didn’t get outshot 42-27 and we actually scored three goals and not just one. Usually when we scored three goals in a game like this last year, it was after blowing a two goal lead and losing 4 or 5-3.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I hope the dinner was good at least?

It’s funny how many comparisons there have been to last year with this game. This game was seriously the 16-17 special.

It had it all, right out of December 2016. You had us getting the first goal of the game, just a few minutes in. That was a regular occurrence last year. Then you had the ****ty and dead special teams come in and kill momentum. You had Cory get destroyed for 5 goals, you had Hynes not even mercy pull him at 5-2 with half a period left. You even had Lovejoy looking pretty abysmal tonight, which you can’t say has happened much this year.

The only thing this game was missing from last year was we didn’t outshot 42-27 and we actually scored three goals and not just one.

It was pizza and a card game, didn't mean to make it sound highbrow lol...but pizza's always good. Checking the score on the app I was getting madder and madder till it got to 5-2 and then I told the host thanks for getting me out of watching a disaster :P

Last edited:

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

True but by the same token it's not going to get any easier this week either. Of course we got the Isles going again, and now have to play them again when they're in buzzard mode. And we're the Caps' *****es till further notice. This team needs to buck up and show the same resolve with a lead that they show when they're behind, and play the same when they have expectations as they do when they started the season as the scrappy underdog.

No doubt, but there's plenty here ready to tag the toe and send the body to the morgue while it's still warm.

We still control our own destiny more than other teams, and they can get this corrected. I'm not jumping ship just yet. I'm in the same frame of mind as you, time to show that same mentality that got you this far.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It was pizza and a card game, didn't mean to make it sound highbrow lol...but pizza's always good. I was a little worried cause the hosts of said dinner have been causing drama with some of my other friends but things didn't overtly boil over last night. Checking the score on the app I was getting madder and madder till it got to 5-2 and then I told the host thanks for getting me out of watching a disaster :P
Pizza in Jersey is (almost) always good! You didn’t miss much!

Man that app annoys me sometimes. I’ll be watching the game and my phone keeps lighting up to tell me the score, even though I watch at least 80 games a year in real time.

Now I’m getting flashbacks of the 2016 game where we got blown out by the Flyers and we went in one direction and they went in the other. We were in a playoff spot and had the lowest goals against in the league coming into that game. I seem to remember special teams being a sore spot in that game too. Something about a five minute major penalty and only scoring one goal. I was actually at the Sharks/Lightning game that night and caught the game on DVR.

Just win a game and make me stop having these flashbacks! This losing streak is reminding of like a lot of really bad things from the last 5 seasons. From the collapse in the lockout season, to the collapse after the 3-0 start in Pete’s last season, the downward spiral in February-March 2016, December of last year. Win a game and make it stop already!:eek:

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
NJ gets Islanders on tuesday on back to back as they fly back from Montreal. And Isles let tons of great chances to Rangers yesterday but they missed it or Halak was there to stop it. It would be a good time to end that losing streak at Barclays.

The isles are basically the flyers with a more potent offense. Granted, they are much softer so that should help the Devils offense a bit, but the Devils are going to have to play light years better than they did last night if they want to win that game.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
We’re still 1 point back of CBJ with 4 games in hand and 3 points up on NYR with a game in hand. And we’re riding the longest current losing streak in the NHL. This team played well enough before to get some cushion so a streak like this doesn’t kill them. But if we lose to NYI I’m gonna be really really worried.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad