GDT: We are crushing their heads! New Jersey Devils vs. the Philidelphia Flyers, 7PM EST

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Right now, the Devils are essentially icing three lines at even strength. They're trying to get Hall's line against the worst competition possible, Zajac's line against the best, Zacha's against a middle-six line, and a 'special teams' line in Boyles that plays little at even strength to keep them fresh for PP/PK.

Zacha or Zajac's line needs to start producing at even strength. Zacha and his line have been getting tons of scoring chances and dominating play, but can't seem to score. Zajac's line seems to do a good job of evening out other teams top lines, but again, they need to get on the board. Anything we get from Boyle's line is an added bonus as all three have already given us more than we could've expected, IMO.

In this last stretch, the Devils have dominated games at times, especially early on, but just can't score and it's killing them. If Zacha's line buried any of their chances last night when the game was 1-1 or 2-1, it's a different game. Hischier should've scored on his chance immediately after Palmieri's PP goal. The list goes on.

Camille the Eel

Worst game we've played since Columbus at home. First real absolute clunker since then. I was afraid of it, coming off a five day break; lack of focus I think, maybe lack of intensity is the better word.

After blowing the two goal first period lead against Columbus and getting torched in the last two periods we hit reset very well. Hopefully we do that again, from now into the All Star break. We need to.

Sitting Santini; and the Severson-Greene combo were not good ideas.

Special teams need to improve now. We must outwork and outhustle the opposition in special team situations, to begin with.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
What has this team done in the past 6 games that makes you so confident they can turn it around? The captain is a useless plug of a player and seems just happy to be collecting a pay check. His leadership abilities are even weaker than his pathetic clearing attempts. The coaching staff has no clue how to fix the actual problems with this team, many of them coming from how they coach. They have no ability to make in game adjustments until it's entirely too late.

Schneider isn't a top 10 elite goalie that is going to carry this team anywhere since he isn't atheletic enough to do so. He's just a good goalie that lacks the atheletic ability that makes the real top 10 goalies elite. Unless the puck is shot right at him with minimal screening, it's up in the air as to whether or not the other team is scoring. And even if he sees it, he's good for a weak goal or two on very saveable shots. If it's a cross crease back door play? The majority of the time it's going in the back of the net since he lacks the lower body explosiveness and agility / atheleticism to move laterally to make a desperation save. His rebound control has been piss poor over this 6 game losing and for the most part this year has been hit or miss. Hes also been falling to the ice entirely way too much and then flops around like a fish. You add all this to shaky defending, you get a losing streak like this.

Bad goaltending makes a mediocre defense look worse than it is, and bad defense makes a good goalie look worse than it is. This losing streak has been a combo of the two, with a side of **** coaching. Oh, and obviously **** reffing as the rotting cherry on top of a **** sundae

Because I’ve seen them do it the majority of the year already and there’s plenty of time left in the season.

They control their own destiny, so I’ll stay the course for me until it becomes too big of a hill to climb. If they are going to adversity, I rather it be now and they take advantage of the divisional matchups they have coming up.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
We don't try to match Hall up with easy comp.

Last night he was out there most often against Simmons and Voracek.

Against Isles he was out there most often against Eberle and Barzal.

Zajac def get's the toughest assignments. But Hall Nico Bratt get the next wave.

Zacha's line is typically most often vs 3rd line.

I also think Zacha's line and Boyle's line get pretty similar minutes at 5v5. Last night was a bit different I think because Hynes rewarded Zacha's line for a solid effort with extra shifts late in the 3rd. Even got that PP shift.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I know it sounds kind of excusey, and get's lost a bit after losing a game in which we were not robbed of a goal, but lets not forget we had absolute bull shat calls costing us goals one way or the other in 4 of the previous 5 losses.

And last night I thought we played pretty well. Had some bad break downs, but I don't think we got destroyed by any means.

Reactions: MadDog172430

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I would submit that Zacha's line has also been the "expirementation line"...

Everytime a Defenseman has been rotated in and out it's usually been at the expense of the RW on the Zacha line, Everytime a winger has been shifted or brought back into the lineup it has usually changed the Zacha line...not even to mention the consecutive scratches.

No one seems to notice the constant curve balls thrown at Zacha...

Now that's not an excuse, I'd buy into the argument that a good player should be able to play with anyone but if you are talking about a player that's trying to find his way and his confidence maybe a bit shaken or might be a little confused regarding what is expected from him or what his priorities should be... throwing curve balls at him with a constant flow of different wingers, scratches, and even positions from LW to C is really a strange approach in developing this player.

Reactions: My3Sons

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
We don't try to match Hall up with easy comp.

Last night he was out there most often against Simmons and Voracek.

Against Isles he was out there most often against Eberle and Barzal.

Zajac def get's the toughest assignments. But Hall Nico Bratt get the next wave.

Zacha's line is typically most often vs 3rd line.

I also think Zacha's line and Boyle's line get pretty similar minutes at 5v5. Last night was a bit different I think because Hynes rewarded Zacha's line for a solid effort with extra shifts late in the 3rd. Even got that PP shift.
That first goal Halls line scored was when Hynes switched the line rotation between Zachas and Halls line. And they did that a couple more times that game but the amount of special teams play kind of messed up that flow

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Everytime a Defenseman has been rotated in and out it's usually been at the expense of the RW on the Zacha line, Everytime a winger has been shifted or brought back into the lineup it has usually changed the Zacha line...not even to mention the consecutive scratches.

Now that's not an excuse, I'd buy into the argument that a good player should be able to play with anyone but if you are talking about a player that's trying to find his way and his confidence maybe a bit shaken or might be a little confused regarding what is expected from him or what his priorities should be... throwing curve balls at him with a constant flow of different wingers, scratches, and even positions from LW to C is really a strange approach in developing this player.
Heck I think it's fair to say Wood and Zacha have been playing with the 12th best fwd for the most of their time together. The 4th best RW.

Now I think Noesen and Stafford have been pretty good. But neither has shown much scoring touch so far this year. Hayes has actually been good in that regard, though I don't want him back out there.

But yeah, since Zacha has been getting consistent minutes again, it has been Wood-Zacha-TBD. And they've been pretty effective even under these conditions.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

I think you're making this into something it's not, he played several games in a row with Noesen. Before that, it was consistently Stafford. It's not like he's had a different RW every game, there was only one game where the Devils went 11F 7D where his RW was rotating.

He's been getting consistent minutes with consistent linemates over the last ~10 so games. He's getting chances, but he really needs to start burying them. Last night, his line was terrific and him, Wood, and Stafford each had a few chances to score, but didn't until the end of the game.

Gibbons stepped up early on, Noesen was dynamite for while, Wood has been chipping in goals here and there, Boyle had his stretch. We need a nice run from Zacha, Stafford, and Zajac's line.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Because I’ve seen them do it the majority of the year already and there’s plenty of time left in the season.

They control their own destiny, so I’ll stay the course for me until it becomes too big of a hill to climb. If they are going to adversity, I rather it be now and they take advantage of the divisional matchups they have coming up.

When have they shown they are capable of turning a long losing streak around lol? A few games here and there isn't the same as breaking a continuous losing streak. The majority of the same leadership is here from last years shit show of a collapse, same coaching staff, same overrated goalie.

Their next game is against a team that they choked against 2 games ago, and then a team that just dominates them in every facet of the game, including being out coached, and then against a Flyers team that just stomped them out.

They're going to lose to the Islanders, get stomped by the Caps, probably lose to the Flyers again, beat Detroit, lose to Boston then get stomped by Nashville.

I wouldn't be shocked to see them going to go 3-7 or 4-6 in their next 10.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think you're making this into something it's not, he played several games in a row with Noesen. Before that, it was consistently Stafford. It's not like he's had a different RW every game, there was only one game where the Devils went 11F 7D where his RW was rotating.

He's been getting consistent minutes with consistent linemates over the last ~10 so games. He's getting chances, but he really needs to start burying them. Last night, his line was terrific and him, Wood, and Stafford each had a few chances to score, but didn't until the end of the game.

Gibbons stepped up early on, Noesen was dynamite for while, Wood has been chipping in goals here and there, Boyle had his stretch. We need a nice run from Zacha, Stafford, and Zajac's line.
Come on... he's been on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd line, he's played LW and he's played C, he's played with Gibbons, Stafford and Noesen on his RW, he's been scratched 5 times...All in 35 games. You are actually going to argue he's seen any sort of stability?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Come on... he's been on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd line, he's played LW and he's played C, he's played with Gibbons, Stafford and Noesen on his RW, he's been scratched 5 times...All in 35 games. You are actually going to argue he's seen any sort of stability?
Since being reinserted, he's played consistently with Woods on the 3rd line. RW has rotated.

There is something to it, but him and Wood have been consistent of late. And I do expect that to continue. Finding a RW who can pot a few would be great.

ReddandBlack92

Dec 28, 2017
How high does this L streak have to climb before Hynes gets the boot? In the long run that would actually be a blessing

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
The team still has structural issues that go beyond anything Hynes does. The first line has two teenagers. The third line has two second year players that need refinement in their games. The second line should be the veterans in their prime line but injuries to all three have really derailed that and it may be that Zajac has gotten old fast but hopefully it’s just health related. So basically the team hasn’t gotten what it needs from in their prime veterans up front other than Hall who has been wonderful.

On defense their is no real first pair. Greene is old and no one can be counted on to be truly steady right now because they are asked to do too much. Also you have Sevs Santini Butcher and Mueller all still young and learning. The only in his prime guy is Vats and he would like thrive as a second pairing guy with a similarly skilled partner but he, like all the defenders has to handle tougher minutes at times since there is no first pair.

So the team is a patchwork of old players and young players with the in their prime vets who should be the heart of the team and carrying it not doing that for whatever reason with the exception of Hall. I think Palms and Zajac have a lot of pride and I can’t imagine they aren’t more disappointed in how things have gone for them so far. The defense is unfixable for this season without major surgery which I’m skeptical Shero wants to undertake. The second line can turn it around and if they do the Devils make the playoffs. If they don’t NJ will be a bubble team that has to go down to the wire to try to get in. If the team is on the bubble I don’t want them giving up anything higher than a fourth round pick and/disposable assets like an expiring contract player along the lines of Gibbons to try to sneak in. I wouldn’t firesale everyone (although if a team is willing to cough up a second for Moore I’d be inclined to say yes) but I’d stay the course with this as a development year and compared to last year a bubble team down the stretch would be a huge improvement.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

What happened this year was the Devils gave a top offensive role that he looked great at during camp. He faltered early on, the staff gave him a few more looks in a scoring role, and then since then it looks like he's been told to keep his game simple.

Lately, he's been given some stability in a low expectation role with a linemate in Wood who he is very comfortable with. I'd imagine the staff will increase his role as he produces more. Zacha seems to get flustered too easily when he doesn't perform up to expectations and it affects his game.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Since being reinserted, he's played consistently with Woods on the 3rd line. RW has rotated.

There is something to it, but him and Wood have been consistent of late. And I do expect that to continue. Finding a RW who can pot a few would be great.
"Since being reinserted"? He was a healthy scratch as recently as December 8th. And when he came back on December 9th his LW was Johansson on the 2nd line. They've only played 15 games since his last scratch and I would guess that he hasn't seen more than 3 or 4 games with the same linemates during that time.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
The team still has structural issues that go beyond anything Hynes does. The first line has two teenagers. The third line has two second year players that need refinement in their games. The second line should be the veterans in their prime line but injuries to all three have really derailed that and it may be that Zajac has gotten old fast but hopefully it’s just health related. So basically the team hasn’t gotten what it needs from in their prime veterans up front other than Hall who has been wonderful.

On defense their is no real first pair. Greene is old and no one can be counted on to be truly steady right now because they are asked to do too much. Also you have Sevs Santini Butcher and Mueller all still young and learning. The only in his prime guy is Vats and he would like thrive as a second pairing guy with a similarly skilled partner but he, like all the defenders has to handle tougher minutes at times since there is no first pair.

So the team is a patchwork of old players and young players with the in their prime vets who should be the heart of the team and carrying it not doing that for whatever reason with the exception of Hall. I think Palms and Zajac have a lot of pride and I can’t imagine they aren’t more disappointed in how things have gone for them so far. The defense is unfixable for this season without major surgery which I’m skeptical Shero wants to undertake. The second line can turn it around and if they do the Devils make the playoffs. If they don’t NJ will be a bubble team that has to go down to the wire to try to get in. If the team is on the bubble I don’t want them giving up anything higher than a fourth round pick and/disposable assets like an expiring contract player along the lines of Gibbons to try to sneak in. I wouldn’t firesale everyone (although if a team is willing to cough up a second for Moore I’d be inclined to say yes) but I’d stay the course with this as a development year and compared to last year a bubble team down the stretch would be a huge improvement.

So basically, not good enough to make the playoffs ?

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
We have the 7th best point percentage in the NHL, but somehow we're melting down and going to miss the playoffs?

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Why, because we're in a losing streak where we should have won half the games?

Main reasons are the inability to clear the zone without turnovers and also the lack of puck possession in opponents zone.

Overall soft defenseman has been getting exposed of late too along with sub-par netminding by #35.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad