GDT: WCSF - Game 5 - Winnipeg at Nashville - 8:30 PM Central - NBCSN, CBC, TVAS - Series Tied 2-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
That's pretty much the series right there. No way are we gonna win two games in a row when we can't even play two solid periods of hockey in a row.

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
That's pretty much the series right there. No way are we gonna win two games in a row when we can't even play two solid periods of hockey in a row.

No I think they will win the next game cause it's not in our barn and less pressure and it's basically a must win game for them but then they will fold when back in our barn as trying to win for the fans seems to be more pressure for them for some reason. They might lose the next game though just for fear of not wanting to lose in our barn the next game after that though.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
That was an awesome game. I had a great time! Can't wait to win in their barn so the Preds can get my game seven money!
If we do pull off a miracle in game 6 I may sell my tickets

If we lose I’ll be glad I didn’t go- if we win I’ll be so happy I won’t care if I missed it

Win/win- lol

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
Well if it makes anybody feel better, the Penguins lost too. So it seems like we are following the path of the Penguins who won the Stanley cup last year at least.

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
Eh I think they lose game 6 just because I think they are tired of trying. I mean we've played poorly, but we've had zero luck, and almost no bounces. You aren't getting calls even on automatics like high sticking. They gotta be feeling like not only do they need to best the Jets but the hockey gods too.

Yep but there was calls that should have been called on us the last game that wasn't like the hook on Laine at the end of the last game so imo it generally evens itself out. We lost this game because of defensive lapses and turnovers. Correct that and we have a chance. Don't correct that then we are done by game 6.

Last edited:
Reactions: RRenegade

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
If I was Lavy I would just do what he did in Game 4 which is to just commit to playing a defense game first and having all 5 guys in our end of the ice passing to each other to get the puck out of our end and see what happens. Surely it can't be worse than what we have seen when we have tried the run and gun game. That hasn't worked for us this whole series and we barely won the one game doing that but we have gotten beaten badly more than not trying that style. Where we looked the most dominating was game 5 when we played that defensive style. We need to stick w/ that. Not saying that will get us the win but imo it's our best chance for a win. I mean would you rather win or lose by a 2-1 kind of game or win or lose by a 6-2 or 5-4 game. I think I would choose the first and take my chances.

Last edited:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Like I said earlier, you can play more offensive than you did in Winnipeg without going run and gun. You get it in deep and grind it out. What we kept trying to do in the second is long passes trying to create rushes. Eventually we started turning it over and it was game over.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
If I was Lavy I would just do what he did in Game 4 which is to just commit to playing a defense game first and see what happens. Surely it can't be worse than what we have seen when we have tried the run and gun game. That hasn't worked for us this whole series and we barely won the one game doing that but we have gotten beaten badly more than not trying that style. Where we looked the most dominating was game 5 when we played that defensive style. We need to stick w/ that. Not saying that will get us the win but imo it's our best chance for a win. I mean would you rather win or lose by a 2-1 kind of game or win or lose by a 6-2 game. I think I would choose the first and take my chances.
Don't think the team can repeat that performance. Had a dominant first period plus, gave up a fluke goal, then got it back...we had every chance to reset at that point and decided to try to trade line rushes instead. This team has zero composure.

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
Don't think the team can repeat that performance. Had a dominant first period plus, gave up a fluke goal, then got it back...we had every chance to reset at that point and decided to try to trade line rushes instead. This team has zero composure.

They may or may not be able to repeat that performance but it's worth a try. The way they are playing now sure isn't working though. Our weakness is our defense/goaltending and until we correct that we will continue to have trouble. Correct that and we may at least give ourselves a chance. I say have Hartnell in the next game. We may still not have success w/ him in but at least he was causing them problems w/ his hits and his big body on them. I would even probably have Saros in instead of Peks but we all know that isn't going to happen.

Last edited:

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
Hes been injured most of this playoffs after having a very solid year, who knows what he would or could have done.

I think Lavi held onto the Watson/Bonino/Sissons line too long instead of moving some things around. Think he hamstrung himself a bit.

Yeah looking back at the game it was our top line and the Bonino line that was out there on most of those goals against. So in this game it wasn't our second or fourth line that struggled against this Jet's team at least defensively. They need to revert back to how they played in game 4 and pass the puck to each other to get the puck out. Instead they went back to how they have played most of this series which is one guy trying to get the puck out only for it to be turned into a turn over and back into our net. In the last game they were communicating to each other and yelling to each other to pass the puck to get it out of our end and helping each other to get the puck out of our end but in this game not so much. Too many turnovers in our end is what cost us this game. If we don't learn how to as a team get the puck out of our end and play better defensively, we won't get out of this series.

Last edited:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Yeah looking back at the game it was our top line and the Bonino line that was out there on most of those goals against. So in this game it wasn't our second or fourth line that struggled against this Jet's team at least defensively. They need to revert back to how they played in game 4 and passing the puck to each other to get the puck out. Instead they went back to how they have played most of this series which is one guy trying to get the puck out only for it to be turned into a turn over and back into our net. In the last game they were communicating to each other and yelling to each other to pass the puck to get it out of our end and helping each other to get the puck out of our end but in this game not so much. Too many turnovers in our end is what cost us this game. If we don't learn how to as a team get the puck out of our end and play better defensively, we won't get out of this series.
Yeah you could watch when it turned. Instead of making smart little chip plays or making the extra pass and then dumping it they kept trying to make the stretch pass to the open man over and over and create rushes up the ice. Eventually the Jets starting blocking those passes and we stopped connecting and they started being able to spend more and more of their time in our zone. It's why I said he needed to call a time out after the 3rd if for no other reason than to just slow things down. That was a moment where Lavi needed to Coach or change strategies or something, instead he just let it go and it was game over.

It was a full team collapse, Defensively, offensively, and coaching. Just a complete and total failure on all parts. Probably the least responsible guy on that ice was Pekka, I don't feel like many of those you could even remotely expect to stop.

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
Yeah you could watch when it turned. Instead of making smart little chip plays or making the extra pass and then dumping it they kept trying to make the stretch pass to the open man over and over and create rushes up the ice. Eventually the Jets starting blocking those passes and we stopped connecting and they started being able to spend more and more of their time in our zone. It's why I said he needed to call a time out after the 3rd if for no other reason than to just slow things down. That was a moment where Lavi needed to Coach or change strategies or something, instead he just let it go and it was game over.

It was a full team collapse, Defensively, offensively, and coaching. Just a complete and total failure on all parts. Probably the least responsible guy on that ice was Pekka, I don't feel like many of those you could even remotely expect to stop.

Yeah they need to stop w/ the stretch passes and just learn to get the puck out of our end and bring the puck in to the opponent's end or do little chip plays to bring it in, especially if they are clogging up the neutral zone. Also when we do turn over the puck we need to learn to remain calm and just get back and pick a guy to cover rather than just scramble and collapse in front of Rinne/screening him and end up not covering anybody and the puck ends up going back into our net as a result. These simple little details to their game that if they would clean up would give them a chance in these games. Last game we clogged up the neutral zone once we got the lead and then would just chip the puck into their side of the ice when we got the puck but in this game the Jets clogged up the neutral zone but rather than just chip the puck in our end when they got the puck they went in for the kill/score.

Last edited:

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011

Yeah it's not Peks fault but it would still be nice to have a goalie that would clean up your mistakes once in a while to help steal a game for ya but w/ 5 guys screening Peks rather than getting their man I don't blame him for not being able to stop the puck. Collapsing in front of the goalie might work against another team like Colorado for example but isn't going to work against this Jets team who have offensive players that can get the puck up or score rather than just throw the puck right into you/your pads. If you want to stop this Jet's team from scoring you need to limit their time and space and be on your man and not give them possession to begin with.

Last edited:

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
I say have Peks in the next game as he seems to have better/rebound games after a loss but then a bad game after a win. So if we can win the next game w/ him, I would consider about putting Saros in for game 7.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I say have Peks in the next game as he seems to have better/rebound games after a loss but then a bad game after a win. So if we can win the next game w/ him, I would consider about putting Saros in for game 7.

That would send a bad message for the team and Saros will be in a ton of pressure.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke

That would not happen. If you win the next game with Rinne you get game 7 with Rinne. If you want Saros on game 7 make him play next game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad