GDT: WCSF - Game 5 - Winnipeg at Nashville - 8:30 PM Central - NBCSN, CBC, TVAS - Series Tied 2-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I'm surprised to come here this morning to see a bunch of Pekka hate. He let in some goals but I don't know too many goalies who are going to stop the type of unimpeded high danger looks he faced last night. They had people just sitting there in the low slot without anyone bothering to touch them.

Anyone who thinks Saros is going to stop those chances will be very disappointed in a couple of years.

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
Well then we need Peks to be at his best the next two games cause just having one good game for the next two games isn't going to be good enough. Peks and the guys in front of him have to be dialed in the next two games. He just needs to mentally prepare himself that there will be a turnover any time they are on his side of the ice. There isn't any room for error or excuses. Just going to have to get it done or start getting ready to play some golf instead. You can either sit there and make excuses as to why you didn't win or you just go out there and just find a way to get the job done. These next two games will show what this team is really made of or not. They also need to not crumble every time they let one goal in. It's one goal. Just going to have to have a better shift the next shift after that and make better passes/decisions the next shift. Imo this team lacks confidence more than anything and gets flustered easily. They can win against this Jets team if they would just start believing in themselves, work as a team, and do all the little right things. Imo it's when doubt starts to creep in then this team tends to fold. Rather than trying to force things to go in the offensive zone and then get frustrated when it doesn't go in, they need to just play relaxed and let things develop themselves. Rather than get flustered when they have a turn over, just relax and pick a guy to cover. They also need to be better and smarter w/ their passes. Most of those turnovers were from just making bad passes or trying to force things. When it's the same mistakes over and over again though you start to have to look at the coaching staff and the schemes they may be doing that isn't working and needing adjustments to their play.

Last edited:

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
I'm starting to wonder if it's Lavy's schemes that are the problem more so than the players cause when it's the same mistakes being made over and over again each game and no adjustments to their play/game being made you begin to question that it may be more of the style of play that is the problem and not the players themselves. The only adjustments I could see Lavy do was in game 4 and that was the best the team has played this series.

Reactions: predfan98

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
I'm surprised to come here this morning to see a bunch of Pekka hate. He let in some goals but I don't know too many goalies who are going to stop the type of unimpeded high danger looks he faced last night. They had people just sitting there in the low slot without anyone bothering to touch them.

Anyone who thinks Saros is going to stop those chances will be very disappointed in a couple of years.

See, I can agree with this, and I can still say that Rinne hasn't been even close to good in either playoff series.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
See, I can agree with this, and I can still say that Rinne hasn't been even close to good in either playoff series.

IMO Rinne plays well when he has some confidence and there isn't much pressure and the team in front of him plays well but when he is lacking in confidence or the pressure is on he plays poorly. Same goes for the rest of our team though.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
jets are the better team. I've said it all year even when we beat them in the regular season. it's not all on rinne. the better team is winning. at the same time, i think it's very obvious rinne has struggled all playoffs. it's been apparent since game 1 against colorado that we would need to score 4 just about every night to win a cup.

Reactions: Scoresberg

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
jets are the better team. I've said it all year even when we beat them in the regular season. it's not all on rinne. the better team is winning. at the same time, i think it's very obvious rinne has struggled all playoffs. it's been apparent since game 1 against colorado that we would need to score 4 just about every night to win a cup.

Yep this Jets team is a good team and better then us in areas, especially offensively but I still think this team is beatable. We just aren't focusing on our strengths right now and not improving on our weaknesses. If we had better schemes/game plan than what we have been doing, I think we have a chance to squeak by this series. But if we keep playing or using the same schemes we have been, then we are in trouble. If we revert back to how we played in game 4 but just add some more offense pressure, think that will be our best route for success. Our best chance for success is to limit the Jet's scoring opportunities and capitalizing on our chances.

Last edited:

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
I don't know that the Jets are better. Both teams have had stretches of control. The Predators have had two absolute melt-down second periods and the Jets have only had 1. Prior to last nights game, you could say the Predators have controlled the play more than the Jets...

There are too many players that are KEY to the Predators who are not playing well (Ellis, Josi, Rinne, Turris). It may be matchup. It may be on them. I have never seen a less effective and useless Roman Josi. This is our 27 minute a night, top 10 defender, who is a key to our offense, who is struggling mightily. I don't know what it is, but he is not playing the way I am used to seeing him play. Injury, coaching decision, indecision ..... I have no idea, but the top defensive pair (now the 2nd pair behind Subban/Ekholm) and Rinne are playing so poorly. 3 of our 4 offensive lines and Ekholm/Subban, Irwin/Weber are playing very very well right now...

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
I don't know that the Jets are better. Both teams have had stretches of control. The Predators have had two absolute melt-down second periods and the Jets have only had 1. Prior to last nights game, you could say the Predators have controlled the play more than the Jets...

There are too many players that are KEY to the Predators who are not playing well (Ellis, Josi, Rinne, Turris). It may be matchup. It may be on them. I have never seen a less effective and useless Roman Josi. This is our 27 minute a night, top 10 defender, who is a key to our offense, who is struggling mightily. I don't know what it is, but he is not playing the way I am used to seeing him play. Injury, coaching decision, indecision ..... I have no idea, but the top defensive pair (now the 2nd pair behind Subban/Ekholm) and Rinne are playing so poorly. 3 of our 4 offensive lines and Ekholm/Subban, Irwin/Weber are playing very very well right now...

That is the thing. Our top defensive players aren't playing well and so it's either the other team causing them fits or causing them not to play well or it could be an injury or just coaching schemes/decision, indecision, etc. but at the moment they aren't playing well and I don't see it getting better in the next two games. So the team needs to adjust to that or they are in trouble. We made that adjustment in game 4 and found success but then decided to revert back to what we were doing and the end result wasn't success.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

What people don't realize is minus last night Rinne has still been one of the best goalies 5on5 in the playoffs and the Preds are definitely not doing well defensively in that category. Rinne has struggled mightily outside of 5on5 play though and it can't all be attributed to poor defense. Throughout an entire season struggling outside of 5on5 play but dominating 5on5 is still not a huge issue, but in the playoffs every game counts and no one should struggle at any situation consistently.

Reactions: Scoresberg

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
What people don't realize is minus last night Rinne has still been one of the best goalies 5on5 in the playoffs and the Preds are definitely not doing well defensively in that category. Rinne has struggled mightily outside of 5on5 play though and it can't all be attributed to poor defense. Throughout an entire season struggling outside of 5on5 play but dominating 5on5 is still not a huge issue, but in the playoffs every game counts and no one should struggle at any situation consistently.

The stats suggest otherwise. Rinne's 5-on-5 SV% in these playoffs is 92.05. That puts him in the middle of the pack overall. There have been quite a few goalies (notably, Murray and Rask) who have been worse and quite a few who have been better. Here's a list of all of the goalies ahead of Rinne in 5-on-5 SV%:

Fleury: 96.17
Schneider: 95.18
Quick: 94.79
Hellebuyck: 93.95
Vasilevskiy: 93.72
Holtby: 93.48
Jones: 93.16
Bobrovsky: 92.5

If you narrow the list down to only those who are still playing, Rinne is ahead of Murray and Rask, but behind Fleury, Hellebuyck, Vasilevskiy, Holtby and Jones. That puts him at 3rd worst of the remaining 8 goaltenders.

Last edited:
Reactions: NoNecksCurse

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Pekka or Saros I don't think it really matters tbh. If you are giving up those chances you are going to have a ton go in. I'm fine with Saros just as a shit ain't working change, and if nothing else you get an early start to see if he can handle the pressure and take things over for Rinne sooner rather than later. Other teams have had to do it in the past and it worked, riding a guy that ain't playing great when you do have another option is silly.

Hell if nothing else maybe they guys are more responsible with Saros in net because they don't expect him to save their asses. Whatever you do you gotta do it quick otherwise you are going to be fishing real damn quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->