GDT: WCSF #5 | "OneGuy - One Goal: One Win" | Oilers @ Flames | May 26 2022, 7:30PM MT | SN, CBC, ESPN/630CHED, FAN960

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think we also didn't get a full picture of how good Kane was, if we're just averaging the season. He started off not that great, although still scored goals off tips and other good work. He's gotten better and better as he's gelled with the team and was a real driver of the play by the end of the season. And, I think he's gotten even better over the playoffs.

That kind of impact trickles down to the rest of the lineup
Kane was going to be huge here provided he brought it. Natural addition to talent like McDrai. Some players will play better with superstars and it will elevate their results (and vice versa)

Kane had elite skillsets before stepping on the ice here. Was going to make a huge (I said transformative) impact.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Kane was going to be huge here provided he brought it. Natural addition to talent like McDrai. Some players will play better with superstars and it will elevate their results (and vice versa)

Kane had elite skillsets before stepping on the ice here. Was going to make a huge (I said transformative) impact.
Not to make it about the Leafs, but I feel like we have a similar team makeup in ways, with the focus on a forward core, kind of like the 2016-2017 Penguins model. But, what the Leafs don't have is someone like Kane: that power-forward who has size and will be a pest, and won't be intimidated. Kane plays with elites and is a top line player himself, but is also an effective physical deterrent who can get under the opposition's skin. When the chips were down, Tampa shut down the top Leaf lines in orderly fashion. Against our top lines, I don't think that's possible

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Not to make it about the Leafs, but I feel like we have a similar team makeup in ways, with the focus on a forward core, kind of like the 2016-2017 Penguins model. But, what the Leafs don't have is someone like Kane: that power-forward who has size and will be a pest, and won't be intimidated. Kane plays with elites and is a top line player himself, but is also an effective physical deterrent who can get under the opposition's skin. When the chips were down, Tampa shut down the top Leaf lines in orderly fashion. Against our top lines, I don't think that's possible
We do have Hyman, Barrie and Ceci. Possibly Campbell in the offseason

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I feel like Markstrom will have a huge game. We can still definitely win, but the criticism against him is a little much now (not that it isn't deserved). He will be looking for a statement game. The team will probably be less aggressive and more defensive in order to make that happen. Just a guess
Markstrom's expected goals against is 29 and is actual goals against is 30, you should want and expect more out of a $6M goalie, but he is pretty much right at league average goaltending levels right now.

I think Calgary was really dependent on Tanev to carry a lot of the tough defensive assignments and with him injured they are just faltering against elite competition.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Probably the best comparison to Kane is the Kings obtaining Jeff Carter in prime all those years ago. It made their team a contender. It took them to a different place and was a key fill. Carter addition to that squad filled a lot of the team needs.

The Oilers suddenly this season having Kane and Hyman is like the Kings adding scoring wingers like Carter and Williams.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
We’re probably not going to get a better chance to get him in the lineup, but I feel like Woody won’t want to break up what’s working

He’ll get plenty of rest after we win

Judging by the price of their tickets, I’m hoping the Flames fans are giving up and we invade their barn

I might have a heart attack before that game ended
That third line hasn't really been working though. Give McLeod Holloway istead of both foegele and Ryan and it probably looks better

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Probably the best comparison to Kane is the Kings obtaining Jeff Carter in prime all those years ago. It made their team a contender. It took them to a different place and was a key fill. Carter addition to that squad filled a lot of the team needs.

The Oilers suddenly this season having Kane and Hyman is like the Kings adding scoring wingers like Carter and Williams.
LA traded for Carter. We got Kane for free. Kane is more like our Marian Hossa to the Chicago Hawks.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
LA traded for Carter. We got Kane for free. Kane is more like our Marian Hossa to the Chicago Hawks.
Good point. Kings owned that trade though. But I was just speaking in terms of adding key players to your roster in some way, and what the attributes of those players are. Kane plays much like Carter, and has the scoring skill of Carter. Hyman is much like Williams in that he can support offense anywhere he's put in the lineup. All 4 were actually versatile in that way.

In anycase how great is it to be seeing the benefit of two capable wingers in our lineup and adding 19 playoff goals and counting. To put that contribution in perspective McDrai have a combined 13 goals. The entire Oilers forward group, other than Kane and Hyman have a combined 22 goals. So that just in the addition of two scoring wingers we've almost doubled our forward contribution in goals which is amazing considering we already had McDrai.

ftr I wanted the Oilers to add players like Jeff Carter, or Hoffman, or Toffoli for years. We needed extra scoring wingers. We hit the bonanza with Kane being available. Meanshile Carter has been one of the best Pens since going there.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Hope they get the W. They are going to need the rest.
I wonder sometimes, if in the back of players' heads either this kind of lead feels too safe, or they think that winning it back home would be better. Woody's got to stamp out any such thoughts. If you let the Flames back into this series they may be hard to put down.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I wish coaches weren't so married to a line up when they win a few games. IMO, there are a couple of guys who could use a wake up call
The way I look at it is the Oilers had two relatively solid games in games 2,3, and got lucky in game 4. We didn't play that well in game 4. So that proactively I believe there could be adjustments and lineup changes after a game in which we didn't have a lot going.

OT but I wonder how desperate the Flames are playing Tanev in that game 4. Pretty clearly he wasn't healthy, and wasn't ready and he hurt his shoulder at least 3 times in that game. Do the Flames pay off their medical staff to be getting these ready to play assessments? I wonder if he even goes all of game 5. Nail him once or twice more and he's out. Even when he's in Hyman outmuscled him two times to get that goal. Initial shot attempt and rebound.

To be fair they are too busy setting up Kane and Hyman to have time for scoring goals themselves :D
haha. By no means was I throwing shade at either. But its just fabulous having this kind of winger help after Chiarelli bombed out our lineup depth. Good times!

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
haha. By no means was I throwing shade at either. But its just fabulous having this kind of winger help after Chiarelli bombed out our lineup depth. Good times!
For sure for sure.

I'm happy for the both of them to have that support as I think both, especially McDavid, really enjoy setting up teammates for success. You just don't have a magnificent back handed saucer pass like Drai and not get delighted when it results in a goal for a teammate!

cantthinkofone

Mar 10, 2017
Love seeing the flames dropping press level tickets from 335 to 175. Hopefully the flames fans are worried and more Oilers fans are in the building. Would love to see Calgary knocked out at home tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad