GDT: WCSF #5 | "OneGuy - One Goal: One Win" | Oilers @ Flames | May 26 2022, 7:30PM MT | SN, CBC, ESPN/630CHED, FAN960

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
Lets finish it off tonight. No Mercy!

And MATTHEW TKACHUK I AM STILL CRUSHING YOUR HEAD!!!!

64617.jpg

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Due for a 2-1 kinda game.
I feel like Markstrom will have a huge game. We can still definitely win, but the criticism against him is a little much now (not that it isn't deserved). He will be looking for a statement game. The team will probably be less aggressive and more defensive in order to make that happen. Just a guess

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I’d consider inserting Holloway and getting his debut out of the way, I think he’s got enough hustle and willingness to jam that he can take the sub-7 minutes guys spot for a twirl. I’d also consider inserting Broberg and going 11-7, playoff reps are valuable and we need more assurance of capability behind Kris Russell.

We’re probably not going to get a better chance to get him in the lineup, but I feel like Woody won’t want to break up what’s working

Rest smith or don’t rest smith, that is the question.

He’ll get plenty of rest after we win

Nothing would be sweeter than ending the Flames season in their own barn and sending home 19000 sad Flame fans. Lets Go Oilers.. finish off these chumps tonight!

Judging by the price of their tickets, I’m hoping the Flames fans are giving up and we invade their barn

1 - 0 Oilers in triple overtime.

Tkachuk scores an own goal and it gets credited to Mike Smith.

I might have a heart attack before that game ended

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yep that’s why game 4 was such an important win. Last time were in that position we blew it. This is proof we are learning from our mistakes in the past.
Hockey results are often somewhat random. In both cases we are still a team that blows leads. So are Calgary. One result isn't proof of anything, and we still haven't learned from mistakes. This is still a team that gets tender when they have a multiple goal lead and the other team scores.

Like I said earlier the main difference between what happened against Winnipeg last season and Calgary now is that the Jets have snipers and money goal scorers that can put the puck in the net in big moments. Conversely we now have Kane and Hyman and 19 added playoff goals in our lineup. The LEARNING by the org is that they needed more scoring depth and we got that now. We wouldn't have won the first round without Kane and Hyman.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
The BoA playoff history not so fun fact:

Of the five previous meetings, 3 went to game 7. In two of those series' the Oilers had a 3-1 lead and let Calgary up off the mat in games 5 & 6.

The fun fact: The only time a series was over in 5 games was their first meeting in 1983 when the Oilers jumped out to a 3-0 lead. They gave Calgary a mercy win in game 4 then said "just joking" and pumped them 9-1 in game 5.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Hopefully the Oilers can ignore the atmosphere and just focus on playing the game. I am sure Flames fans are going to try extra hard to motivate their team and the team themselves will be really hungry., Hopefully the Oilers can come out strong and get the first goal and get a solid win. I expect Calgary to come out flying.

Reactions: MinisterOfSinister

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Hope the boys took note of what happenedin Denver last night. The Lamers are going to throw everything but the kitchen sink at us in the first period. Of course, they claim they are now inspired by Smith's boo-boo last game. Apparently they forgot all about how they collapsed and allowed RNH's winner a short time after.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Hockey results are often somewhat random. In both cases we are still a team that blows leads. So are Calgary. One result isn't proof of anything, and we still haven't learned from mistakes. This is still a team that gets tender when they have a multiple goal lead and the other team scores.

Like I said earlier the main difference between what happened against Winnipeg last season and Calgary now is that the Jets have snipers and money goal scorers that can put the puck in the net in big moments. Conversely we now have Kane and Hyman and 19 added playoff goals in our lineup. The LEARNING by the org is that they needed more scoring depth and we got that now. We wouldn't have won the first round without Kane and Hyman.
True enough I was just pointing to the fact that after allowing the flames to crawl back into it and allowing the most bizarre goal I have seen in a long long time, they didn’t cry about it or fold. They went right out and put their foot on the gas and got the win. Same cannot be said for the team in 16/17 they collapsed in two straight games after letting the ducks back in it.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
True enough I was just pointing to the fact that after allowing the flames to crawl back into it and allowing the most bizarre goal I have seen in a long long time, they didn’t cry about it or fold. They went right out and put their foot on the gas and got the win. Same cannot be said for the team in 16/17 they collapsed in two straight games after letting the ducks back in it.
Its just that a lot of what happens in the sport of hockey is happenchance. People can talk about resiliency and learning all day. The Oilers took a game in the jets series to 6 games. We just couldn't buy the winning goal against a goalie we struggle against and that has more to do with not having scoring depth. There was plenty that was right with the performance of the players we had last playoffs. WE had a lot of bad luck. Jets had a lot of goals generated from point and deflections, and we weren't getting those goals, and its easier to shut down just two players. Jets had the scoring depth and veteran players and won.

A more valid theory is that the current Oilers team, the players on the ice, we're a better roster this season with more depth, and much more quality.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Positive

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Its just that a lot of what happens in the sport of hockey is happenchance. People can talk about resiliency and learning all day. The Oilers took a game in the jets series to 6 games. We just couldn't buy the winning goal against a goalie we struggle against and that has more to do with not having scoring depth. There was plenty that was right with the performance of the players we had last playoffs. WE had a lot of bad luck. Jets had a lot of goals generated from point and deflections, and we weren't getting those goals, and its easier to shut down just two players. Jets had the scoring depth and veteran players and won.

A more valid theory is that the current Oilers team, the players on the ice, we're better roster this season with more depth, and much more quality.
I think we also didn't get a full picture of how good Kane was, if we're just averaging the season. He started off not that great, although still scored goals off tips and other good work. He's gotten better and better as he's gelled with the team and was a real driver of the play by the end of the season. And, I think he's gotten even better over the playoffs.

That kind of impact trickles down to the rest of the lineup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad