WCSF: (1) Vegas Golden Knights vs. (3) San Jose Sharks | VGK Leads Series 3-2

Winner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
Vegas took on the Sharks four times during the regular season, winning the season series with a 3-0-1 record. There does seem to be a high correlation between regular season results, and playoff results. However there are exceptions, of course.

I'll take Vegas in 6.

On another note, wouldn't it be interesting to see a Pittsburgh / Vegas Stanley Cup final? Fleury against his old team... Pittsburgh would need to get by Boston though. That certainly won't be easy...

Reactions: ShonSaunders

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
If I'm Peter DeBoer and Joe Thornton tells me he can play for game 1, I'm doing absolutely everything in my power to get him on that 3rd line against Cody Eakin on every shift possible.

Vegas can get away with something like Cody Eakin as a 3rd liner against a team like LA who was playing god knows who as the 3rd line center, but if they put him up against Joe Thornton, or even Chris Tierney, that will be a series changing decision, IMO.

Hertl-Couture-Boedker
Kane-Pavelski-Donskoi
Meier-Thornton-LaBanc
Sorensen-Tierney-Fehr

This is what I would run, but one of LaBanc, Fehr, or Sorensen likely is scratched in favor of Melker Karlsson. Unfortunately, I think LaBanc is the odd man out at this point.

Reactions: Rorschach

Seven0two

Apr 17, 2018
If I'm Peter DeBoer and Joe Thornton tells me he can play for game 1, I'm doing absolutely everything in my power to get him on that 3rd line against Cody Eakin on every shift possible.

Vegas can get away with something like Cody Eakin as a 3rd liner against a team like LA who was playing god knows who as the 3rd line center, but if they put him up against Joe Thornton, or even Chris Tierney, that will be a series changing decision, IMO.

Your thought process holds some merit, but there is a minor flaw to it. Putting Jumbo on the third line to have a dominant advantage over Cody Eakin would work in theory, but nothing about the way VGK defends is one on one. Sure they will be matched up from time to time, but the key to the Golden Knights' defense is in their rotations and the way that all five men on the ice play as a unit. VGK doesn't have any shutdown defensemen, but we still do a decent job of playing defense because we are able effectively hide deficiencies.

In all honesty, the thing that worries me the most about this matchup is that both teams roll four lines and get good production from each. The LA series to me was won late in games when their stars started to tire and VGK was able to outwork them late because we tended to be fresher. That won't be as likely against the Sharks. In the end I think this comes down to who can avoid making mistakes, the cleaner team will win the series.

Reactions: ChanceVegas

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
Vegas took on the Sharks four times during the regular season, winning the season series with a 3-0-1 record. There does seem to be a high correlation between regular season results, and playoff results. However there are exceptions, of course.

I'll take Vegas in 6.

On another note, wouldn't it be interesting to see a Pittsburgh / Vegas Stanley Cup final? Fleury against his old team... Pittsburgh would need to get by Boston though. That certainly won't be easy...

Very misleading, season series was closer then record dictates 14 goals vk 11 goal sj.

The first game Vegas jumped on them quickly. And probably caught him off guard on the road the first game ever played in Vegas. They go very unlucky and lost in overtime. I can’t remember if it was a crossbar a bad break but the game was a tossup. Next game in San Jose we had a three to two lead with nine minutes left couple shitty brakes broken sticks odd man rushes we lose that game 43. One was an empty Next game we dominate the Knights, subban stands on his head as we had shoot them 4725 and squeak at it two would win. Could’ve been five or 6 to 1 at the very least probably would’ve been the biggest blowout of the season series if not for that. And of course as everyone remembers it was the last game of a road trip we just played Nashville couple back to back‘s we were obviously tired and it still took A shorthanded beautiful goal by Karlsson to beat us barely by one goal so I would say every game is been close at the very least the sharks probably should’ve heard the split so the games really came down to a couple plays. And in the playoffs those can go either way

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
The Knights are riding on good luck. Eventually they will come down on earth. Sharks in 5

Just kidding. Vegas in 6

Reactions: Rhaegar Targaryen

Seven0two

Apr 17, 2018
Very misleading, season series was closer then record dictates 14 goals vk 11 goal sj.

The first game Vegas jumped on them quickly. And probably caught him off guard on the road the first game ever played in Vegas. They go very unlucky and lost in overtime. I can’t remember if it was a crossbar a bad break but the game was a tossup. Next game in San Jose we had a three to two lead with nine minutes left couple ****ty brakes broken sticks odd man rushes we lose that game 43. One was an empty Next game we dominate the Knights, subban stands on his head as we had shoot them 4725 and squeak at it two would win. Could’ve been five or 6 to 1 at the very least probably would’ve been the biggest blowout of the season series if not for that. And of course as everyone remembers it was the last game of a road trip we just played Nashville couple back to back‘s we were obviously tired and it still took A shorthanded beautiful goal by Karlsson to beat us barely by one goal so I would say every game is been close at the very least the sharks probably should’ve heard the split so the games really came down to a couple plays. And in the playoffs those can go either way

As a VGK fan I can say that I agree with you about the series being closer than the 3-0-1 record would appear.

In that first game we had a 4-1 lead and you guys came all the way back to tie it and eventually took the lead in the third, but a controversial goalie interference penalty (what other kinds are there?) wiped the goal off the board and Marchessault wound up scoring the winner in OT.

In that second game in San Jose, we played possibly the worst period we played all season and managed to go into the break tied when Haula put in a rebound for only our second shot on goal 14 minutes into the period. For the most part, I thought we carried the play for the next two periods, but it was fairly close. Brayden McNabb made a nice move on Burns to get the tying goal and Perron made a nice feed to Neal on a line change for the winner. You mention your long road trip in regards to the last game we played, but this was the last of our 6 games in 10 days road trip (CGY, WPG-MIN, WSH, PIT, SJS).

The third game we looked great in the first period and took an early 1-0 lead but got absolutely dominated in the next two periods, but as you mentioned, Malcolm Subban was incredible and allowed that game to go into OT. That being said, Jonathan Marchessault had two grade A chances to end it early into the OT before Couture got a nice backhand winner that deflected off one of our guys' skates.

Last game was very close and yes it took Karlsson's short-handed goal to win, but I agree that you guys looked tired. That being said, we were 4-3-2 in our last 9, so it wasn't as though we were playing very well down the stretch.

Basically, I'm imagining every game is going to be close and the series will be hard to call. I'm guessing 6 or 7 games one way or the other.

Reactions: CrypTic

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff

I'll take Vegas in 6.

If you haven’t, you should watch those games. They were VERY close including a stand on yer head performance by Subban in the last one and some questionable goal challenges. But what evs. We play them well, and vise versa.

This can go either way.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Sharks play as structured as Kings, maybe better goaltending and without a doubt better team offensively. And much more FASTER than Kings. If Joe is back, the PP will be lethal too.

Not underestimating Vegas, but Sharks is a different story than Kings. By far.

I’ll say game seven and the other team wins it.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Sharks play as structured as Kings, maybe better goaltending and without a doubt better team offensively. And much more FASTER than Kings. If Joe is back, the PP will be lethal too.

Not underestimating Vegas, but Sharks is a different story than Kings. By far.

I’ll say game seven and the other team wins it.

Do you know who Quick is?

Reactions: ShonSaunders

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Apparently a word maybe doesnt mean anything to Canucks fans. This isnt the first time haha.

It’s pretty even at this point which is the better goalie. I would prefer Jones because last two seasons playoff performance. And he is hot now.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Quick doesnt have the better save percentage in last two postseason or in this. Which is an obvious fact.

So two Cups 4 and 6 years ago make Quick the better goaltender today. Okey.

Look. You hit your own foot with your axe. So, past save percentages make Jones the better goaltender today?

Also, I meant Quick has the best save percentage for a losing goaltender. I never said he was a winning one. ;)

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Keep ignoring the better save percentage in these playoffs if that is your only argument. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad