GDT: WCQF Game 4 | Anaheim @ Detroit | 8:00 PM EST | FSD / CNBC / TSN2 / KDOC

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Whichever team wins this series is going to get slaughtered by their next opponent. I hope it's us, don't get me wrong.

yave1964

22 and counting
Mar 22, 2013
Lexington ohio
Sammy didn't embarrass himself too bad out there tonight, Bert still looks a bit rusty but going forward if these two can get it going and Z finds his game, who knows? Cant look past the Ducks but looking forward to a final playoff series against you know who next round.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
I was expecting a loss for most of that game, especially OT. I just keep saying "This has dominate but lose written all of over it."

Dats, Fil, Gus, Andersson, Howard and Eaves all had great games.

I would add Franzen and certainly Ericsson to this list; agree otherwise.
Wonderful win!

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
We're not winning the Cup so please stop hyperventilating and come to grips with that. Are you okay now? Great, now let's just sit back and see which of our young players have a shot at carrying this team in 5 years.

It's difficult because we've been so spoiled. Which is something that many posters here are accustomed to. It's something new and odds are they don't like it.

Now, some of us can either remember faintly or vividly when this team missed the playoffs or was just happy to win a round.

It's also why I stayed away from this forum mostly with people overreacting over every little personal move made in the offseason or season. Some of it is just frustration, some of it is true but most of it is absurdity.

I'm not ruling out anything this year. Especially after they proved me wrong tonight.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
At the same time it saddens me that we no longer have the young Danny DeKeyser on our d line. It's incredible how much hockey sense that kid has, I mean when he played he was easily our best defenseman. I don't think I'm being too generous at all with my praise on him. We are so incredibly lucky that he signed with us and if he develops further he will be one hell of a hockey player.

But yeah Jonathan, was good, should stay good. Smith, was better this game as well, although I did see a few plays that I didn't like from him. Nothing to lose your **** over though.

Within 5 years our defense will be Dekeyser, Kronwall, Smith, Kindl, Ouelette, Sproul, Ericsson. That is leaving out Backman, Jensen, Almquist who could have very high ceilings. Almquist did score 30+ points his rookie season in the AHL.

I think two of Sproul/Ouelette/Smith/Dekeyser end up top pair and all the rest are 2nd pair guys (Kronwall will be older).

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Nyquist didn't touch that puck after Andersson bounced the pass off him. Goes to show that just going to the net can make things happen.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
what do you mean by 'we are not winning the cup so just relax'? what the heck are we playing for then?

btw just because they are youngsters doesn't mean they get a free pass. I understand they aren't as good but they should be held accountable for their performance. We can not afford to let them have freebies during playoff. That's why they spent all those years down in AHL.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
what do you mean by 'we are not winning the cup so just relax'? what the heck are we playing for then?

btw just because they are youngsters doesn't mean they get a free pass. I understand they aren't as good but they should be held accountable for their performance. We can not afford to let them have freebies during playoff. That's why they spent all those years down in AHL.

It's real simple.

People thought Pavs and Hank weren't legit because they struggled in their first playoff experiences.

It means you don't write Howie off because the team in front of him plays gutless hockey.

It means you don't rip a guy mercilessly in his second playoff game where - by the way - he was +1 while playing 20 minutes.

Some people want to make snap judgments and then don't want to own up when they are dead wrong on certain players. They need to get over themselves and let our young guys develop. Pavs once stunk it up in the playoffs. Hank once stunk it up the playoffs. Ozzie did too.

Let the young guys play. Our older guys like Z aren't making much of a contribution, so we need to give our younger guys some ice time and accept they will have their good and bad moments.

Do you really think this Red Wings team is going to win the Cup? A Red Wings team that won 4 games against playoff teams during the months of March and April? A team that qualified for the playoffs on the last day of the regular season?

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
Yeah I have news for some of the people ripping on our young players: guess what? We are not winning the Cup this year. If they can accept that it's actually cool to see our younger players get ice time. Z ain't doing much this series. Pavs is going into beat mode. Howie can hold his own so long as his team isn't playing gutless hockey. We need some younger guys to develop and the only way that happens is if they get ice time at the NHL level and get to find their game. Smith showed some nice flashes tonight. Andersson is coming along really nicely, he's been our rookie of the year and it's not even close. Nyquist is proving he should have been up all season. Tatar should be as well.

We're not winning the Cup so please stop hyperventilating and come to grips with that. Are you okay now? Great, now let's just sit back and see which of our young players have a shot at carrying this team in 5 years.

Same thing with people ripping on Holland. Expecting holland to sell the farm for rental 35+ers' and players who haven't worked out on 2-3 other teams or are past their prime is simply insane.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Holland isn't without his faults. But criticism here has certainly has gone overboard this season.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
well forget that. no need for this tonight

great win :handclap: g'night folks

Last edited:

ThankYouBasedGod

Oct 25, 2010
Saskatoon
Same thing with people ripping on Holland. Expecting holland to sell the farm for rental 35+ers' and players who haven't worked out on 2-3 other teams or are past their prime is simply insane.

You must have been reading that somewhere else because I sure as hell didn't see that here.

ThankYouBasedGod

Oct 25, 2010
Saskatoon
It's real simple.

People thought Pavs and Hank weren't legit because they struggled in their first playoff experiences.

It means you don't write Howie off because the team in front of him plays gutless hockey.

It means you don't rip a guy mercilessly in his second playoff game where - by the way - he was +1 while playing 20 minutes.

Some people want to make snap judgments and then don't want to own up when they are dead wrong on certain players. They need to get over themselves and let our young guys develop. Pavs once stunk it up in the playoffs. Hank once stunk it up the playoffs. Ozzie did too.

Let the young guys play. Our older guys like Z aren't making much of a contribution, so we need to give our younger guys some ice time and accept they will have their good and bad moments.

Do you really think this Red Wings team is going to win the Cup? A Red Wings team that won 4 games against playoff teams during the months of March and April? A team that qualified for the playoffs on the last day of the regular season?

What young guys are you talking about? Nyquist and Smith are the only young guys we have on the team right now that have any potential and I think a lot of people do want too see Nyquist play a lot. If you're talking about Lashoff.... well, lets just say that guy is a ****ing bum and shouldn't be in the lineup, AHL calibre with no potential. :laugh:

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

Who wanted to sell the farm? No one.

But it's pretty strange that we kept a bunch of guys we aren't playing instead of dealing them for picks. If we could find a buyer for Huskins, is it so hard to imagine someone wanting White or Cola? Guys that were healthy scratches?

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Z-Datsyuk-Sammy
Franzen-Flip-Cleary
Nyquist-Andersson-Brunner
Eaves-Emmerton-Bertuzzi

Wings are breaking all kinds of young guys in. And instead of protecting them, Babcock throws them to the fire.

Nyquist-Andersson-Brunner -- that's a disaster waiting to happen.
Lashoff-Smith on the PK
Lashoff-Kindl at even strength

Sometimes your rookies make rookie mistakes -- and all the protection in the world won't help them (Brunner giveaway).

Sometimes, you can avoid costly mistakes by protecting your guys. (goals 3 and 4).

For one, you shouldn't have Lashoff in the lineup at all. But if you must, don't pair him with Smith on the PK for ****'s sake.

Kronwall-Kindl
Smith-Ericsson
Quincey-Lashoff

On the PK:
Kronwall-Ericsson
Quincey-Smith/Lashoff

Easy enough

Good call :p::p::p:
Now everybody is going to teas you for this one. But you can take it.;)

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
GDT losing streak averted by some great play by Datsyuk, Nyquist, Howard and I even think Ericsson had his best game of the series.

Agreed on Ericsson. He was jumping into the play, making solid physical plays, and moving the puck well. Hard to complain with an effort like that. If he could continue that level, that would go a long way to winning this series.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Great gutty win and Hiller looked completely gassed all of overtime, maybe we can get him again, he hasn't been a workhorse all year this might take a toll and give us an easy game. Him being tired might have made all the difference he should have come out and got that and just froze then used a weak poke check and flailed out of position.

Great work by the third line tonight. Datsyuk and Zetterberg controlled play, they wanted it more tonight and it showed. Howard made some big saves and they did a much better job getting to the front of the net.

Gus two overtimes, two career points in overtime.

Lashoff was a disaster tonight, he needs to come out of the lineup.
Lashoff finished the game +1. Babcock loves him. We have a lot of offensive Dmen, we need some defensive Dmen. He is not my 1st choise either, but ...
I did not expect to be this excited about the playoffs this year.

Between Kindl, Dekeyser, Smith, Brunner, Nyquist, Andersson, Tatar, and the guys who haven't made it yet the future is pretty bright.

Looking forward to a Nyquist-Helm-Tatar 3rd line next year.
That line is going to be a nightmare with their speed.
Pretty obvious I don't know **** about hockey because I thought the Wings were done after game 3.

Then they come out with this effort. I was proud of their play just to get to OT. Datsyuk had a pretty miserable game up until that goal. Howard was excellent, he has been the whole series, the entire team melted down in game 3 (and I thought that would continue).

Good game, good series, good hockey.
And this is the problem. People saying Howard has been excellent. Howard has been OK at best in this series.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
lashoff was +1 because quincey and smith changed right before datsyuk scored.

quincey and smith got assists, but lashoff and kindl got +'s.

lashoff was also on the ice for brunner's goal, but he was not involved in the play.

edit: after another look at the last play, lashoff knocked winnik down near the net, which allowed kindl to get the puck to andersson. so he was involved.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad