GDT: WCQF Game 4 | Anaheim @ Detroit | 8:00 PM EST | FSD / CNBC / TSN2 / KDOC

Status
Not open for further replies.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
This was a huge win for several reasons.
We won the spesial teams battle. The duck had 3 PPs and even one in OT. We had only one.
Our young players are contributing and getting confidence.
Datsyuk scored u huge goal, which might Get our offense going.
The Ducks failing to put us away.
Howard is overdue to steal one.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Agreed on Ericsson. He was jumping into the play, making solid physical plays, and moving the puck well. Hard to complain with an effort like that. If he could continue that level, that would go a long way to winning this series.

Yep, I thought big E was outstanding last night. He has really developed into a top 2 Dman.

I thought it was a good effort all the way around. Getting some contributions from other than the usual suspects is really a big plus. Eaves,Bert, Sammy, Smith, Kindl, Andersson all played well.

Andersson is really a good find for us. He does a lot of things well both sides of the ice. Rarely makes a mistake.

Go Wings

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Who wanted to sell the farm? No one.

But it's pretty strange that we kept a bunch of guys we aren't playing instead of dealing them for picks. If we could find a buyer for Huskins, is it so hard to imagine someone wanting White or Cola? Guys that were healthy scratches?
Some did want to give up a first + prospects for Bouwmeester. Others wanted Gaborik for that price. Some even wanted both.

probertrules24

Jul 10, 2007
Canada
Curious if the you got kronwalled chant was new for the Joe. I thought it was hilarious and can't recall hearing it before as I'm not there live.

crashman

I've seen another angle that looks so much cooler. He does leave his feet (in typical Kronwall fashion), but it's simultaneous with him making shoulder contact with Palmieri. It was a great hit and I think it sparked the team.

He's still got it.

JBauerly97

Jan 8, 2013
Coldwater, MI
Yep, I thought big E was outstanding last night. He has really developed into a top 2 Dman.

I thought it was a good effort all the way around. Getting some contributions from other than the usual suspects is really a big plus. Eaves,Bert, Sammy, Smith, Kindl, Andersson all played well.

Andersson is really a good find for us. He does a lot of things well both sides of the ice. Rarely makes a mistake.
Go Wings

Noticed this last night as well. He's quietly playing very well.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
3rd line center. If he is able to come back, that is where he will play. He is an instant upgrade.

What do we do with Andersson? 4th line center?

Something like this?

Z, Datsyuk, ?
Bert, Franzen, Nyquist
Tatar, Helm, Abs
Tootoo, Andersson, Eaves

Miller, Sammy, Filppula and Emmerton gone. Wouldnt mind keeping Miller or Emmerton to sub in and PK but calling up Sheahan, Ferraro or Jarnkrok is probably a better option for us.

I also wouldnt mind trading Tatar + to bring in a Burmistrov so we would have

Z, Datsyuk, ?
Franzen, Burmi, Nyquist
Stalberg?, Helm, Abs
Tootoo, Andersson, Eaves

Miller, Sammy, Fil, Emmerton, Tatar gone with Bert on LTIR. That would give us 2 legit scoring lines and a possible 3rd line with scoring ability. You could swap Abs and Andersson too.

Wrong thread I know, done with derail.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
Howard had a big game, made some huge saves, although the first goal was kinda stinky but not really his fault.

Kronwall-Ericsson looks like an honest to God top D line in the NHL - but that may just be because our young bottom 4 gives up 3-5 bonehead chances a night - luckily the Ducks only scored on 2 of them. I may have to stop defending Quincey and that trade soon - but I am willing to give him a full, proper offseason with team and another 20 games into next season before I'll declare it the worst trade ever. Right now its just hugely disappointing. I think our D core will benefit from a normal offseason with a normal training camp and a normal preseason and a normal schedule next year.

The 4th line really gave us a lift throughout the game, Bert looked much better. Third line was pretty invisible except for OT.

Z is working, he's just not getting anything solid on net. Datsyuk is amazing, but he needs to be. Franzen looked tried with about 10 minutes into the third. Flip is playing better, but that's not saying much, and he isn't shooting a lot either. Cleary just fell down again while I was typing this.

And Abby > Sammy? Maybe...but playing a game of "Which is the least awful first line fit" is no fun.

I'm all for letting the young guys play...we totally are: Smith, Nyquist, Brunner (sort of), Kindl, DeKeyser (before injury), Andersson. That's alot of dudes. Sitting Lashoff, who hasn't seen game action for a while, and who has not played well, isn't exactly slowing down the franchise long term.

I like Lashoff more than most and think he is a good 7th Dman at the moment, and may be able to crack the top 6 at some point if our prospects don't pan out. But he shouldn't be playing in a series we have a legitimate shot at winning, not when CC is just sitting there all healed and ready to break something again in a few games. I'm not ready to throw in the towel just yet.

Good game, had fun watching, not looking forward to a 10p start Wednesday, but luckily I am "working from home" the next day.

crashman

Curious if the you got kronwalled chant was new for the Joe. I thought it was hilarious and can't recall hearing it before as I'm not there live.

That was a first for that chant. What makes it better, is fans were chanting "Todd-Ber-Tuzz-i" during that hit. I'm a big fan of the Todd Bertuzzi chant, even if he's not really effective right now. I love that the Wings were the team that gave him second chance, he's always been one of favorite hockey players.

The fans at the Joe need to fix that Howard chant though. "Jim-my-How-ard" is a terrible chant, it should just be "How-ie", or "Jim-my". It sounds like they're trying to jeer him when they say his full name.

SunDin

Dec 22, 2008
good win, now they have to beat us with abby in and probably Lydman out. Atleast some micro percentage tougher :)

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
I thought we could tidy up our backend a bit. We got caught watching again quite a few times and I think it's a carry over from game 3. 2 defencemen can not go/watch after single puck carrier. They have to trust their partner and Jimmy. Look how it worked out for Ducks on their last shift last night.

Also the first pass from our back kinda sucked. It has to be quick and doesn't have to be a smart one. my memory is kinda hazy but I dont think it was very good all game except Kronwall and few.

Other than that, it's turning out to be a great series. Really good for growth of younger players. we have to go as far as we can to maximize this opportunity because they still have **** tons to learn how to play under pressure.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Anaheim plays a completely different game when they're tied or trailing. A lot less forecheck pressure and they seem to commit as many giveaways as we normally do. We need to start scoring first in these next couple/few games.

Going into Game 5, I think a realistic change would be Bertuzzi and Samuelsson switching spots. An unlikely change, but a needed one: Scratch Lashoff immediately.

WingedWheel1988

The Captain
Jan 29, 2013
Columbus, OH
Man.. the building was electric, probably the loudest I've ever heard it from all the playoff games that I have been to over the years.. Definitely worth the trip up from Cleveland and back, got home at 3 am-- coffee is needed at work!

Let's go boys!

Sameheda

Sep 28, 2011
Texas
"Datsyuk scored u huge goal, which might Get our offense going."

Honestly does that ever happen? I mean we got a ton of goals in game two and then got shut out in game 3. I don't think a goal means jack **** for the next game. Playing hard is playing hard and if we don't get pucks on the net, we won't score. 10 goals from Datsyuk in one game won't change anything - other than provide us with 1 win.

kerjuxaxaxa

Nov 11, 2011
London
"Datsyuk scored u huge goal, which might Get our offense going."

Honestly does that ever happen? I mean we got a ton of goals in game two and then got shut out in game 3. I don't think a goal means jack **** for the next game. Playing hard is playing hard and if we don't get pucks on the net, we won't score. 10 goals from Datsyuk in one game won't change anything - other than provide us with 1 win.

Babcock is just trying to be optimistic :)

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
"I like Lashoff more than most and think he is a good 7th Dman at the moment, and may be able to crack the top 6 at some point if our prospects don't pan out."

I think next year is going to be the year we decide on Smith. I like his potential but he makes a lot of scary plays. I really think he would have benefitted from being here all last year with Lids. He wasn't learning a lot in the AHL and Lids could of helped get his game together. I like him but frankly he's nearly as boneheaded as Lashoff

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Noticed this last night as well. He's quietly playing very well.

What I think makes Andersson valuable is he has good hockey IQ. He seems to know he's not the greatest skater, the fastest guy or the guy with the great shot so he focuses on winning puck battles, being in good position and playing good defense. Other guys might be more flashy but he's just a solid workaday guy out there and rarely does anything to hurt you.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I was also at the game, my first playoff game ever, man it was a thrill. Datsyuk talks about the crowd as a "6th man" and as was said the crowd was engaged and gave it their all. Roaring chants of "let's go Red Wings" before the puck was even dropped. Thinking about it now, it was the playoff towels that won us the game. Where were they Saturday night?

There were some funny moments in the crowd all night. A lot of younger fans screaming for penalties, not understanding the different reffing in a playoff game. There was actually a "Cleary sucks!" chant going for a few seconds. :laugh: The crowd was quiet for a moment when Anaheim had the puck and some guy yells at the top of his lungs "Perry you suck!" Something about it was hilarious. I love watching the game with 20,000 friends, what a blast.

Datsyuk's tying goal was marvelous. Live, Hiller looked like he was shot by a gun or doing the "Bernie" dance. Watching the replay that shot was such a bullet.

Terrific effort overall. Even in the 1st period we had so many chances romping around their net. The Red Wings earned and deserved this win.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I was also at the game, my first playoff game ever, man it was a thrill. Datsyuk talks about the crowd as a "6th man" and as was said the crowd was engaged and gave it their all. Roaring chants of "let's go Red Wings" before the puck was even dropped. Thinking about it now, it was the playoff towels that won us the game. Where were they Saturday night?

There were some funny moments in the crowd all night. A lot of younger fans screaming for penalties, not understanding the different reffing in a playoff game. There was actually a "Cleary sucks!" chant going for a few seconds. :laugh: The crowd was quiet for a moment when Anaheim had the puck and some guy yells at the top of his lungs "Perry you suck!" Something about it was hilarious. I love watching the game with 20,000 friends, what a blast.

Datsyuk's tying goal was marvelous. Live, Hiller looked like he was shot by a gun or doing the "Bernie" dance. Watching the replay that shot was such a bullet.

Terrific effort overall. Even in the 1st period we had so many chances romping around their net. The Red Wings earned and deserved this win.

I especially liked the "BUUUUUULLLL****" chants at the refs.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
What are the odds if the Wings win in convincing fashion that Gator isn't back in the top six or sitting in the press box for game six and seven?

The guy is awful.

I would settle for him being on the 4th line even if he is a mediocre 4th liner too.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
What are the odds if the Wings win in convincing fashion that Gator isn't back in the top six or sitting in the press box for game six and seven?

The guy is awful.

I would settle for him being on the 4th line even if he is a mediocre 4th liner too.

So awful that he lead the team in even strength goals this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad