WCQF Game 1: Calgary Flames vs Colorado Avalanche | 8 PM MST | CBC, NBCSN, TVAS, SN, ALT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I think it’s silly to suggest the Avs outplayed the Flames. At best it was even and even then the scoreboard shows 4-0.

In saying that. Why are Flames fans being so ignorant? You all know the Avs played with and traded chances with the Flames all night. You all know you were clenching for the first 30 minutes of the game. It was a real solid game from both teams with one team taking advantage of their chances and earning the win. To say anything more than that is straight ignorance. These sarcastic comments about the “Avs high flying offense” are embarrassing. Have a bit of class.

I honestly still stand by my statement that Flames take it in 6. Avs were actually still great tonight, but homer or not let's be honest the Flames superior depth showed tonight. Good luck rest of the way.

Reactions: Migos

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Pretty good game for the Avs, despite the loss. Avs were the better team, and had the better chances.

Calgary had 10 shots halfway through the game.

Smith played out of his mind and robbed 5-6 goals.

Looking forward to game 2.

Jesus Christ... I don't do this but we can never have anything can we? Advanced stats say a different story, and outside those first period penalties, the Flames controlled play 5 on 5.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Playoff Smith is up there with any goalie in the league

I'm extremely skeptical of arguments that player performance changes in the playoffs. Players can get hot over short stretches, and the shortened sample size of the playoffs can inflate your playoff stats quickly. There are a few players where I think we do have a large enough sample size to where we can actually make the argument that they perform better in the playoffs (Joel Ward and Danny Briere being two notable points of reference), but Mike Smith is not one of those players. He has played 19 games, which is a remarkably low sample size. His big run with the Coyotes wasn't actually that far off of his numbers for that season.

I'm not saying that Smith does or does not perform better in the playoffs, but that we don't really have that much data to tell.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Na at best they were even but Flames were better. Avs had the better 1st. Flames the much better 2nd and they finished it of in the 3rd.

Reactions: MacBradley

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Avs looked competitive tonight. Might not win but another year in the PO's is only a positive. Blues have been perennial first-round exits for years and look good most years.

cheechoo

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗ Tomas Hertl #48 ˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗
Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa
I'm extremely skeptical of arguments that player performance changes in the playoffs. Players can get hot over short stretches, and the shortened sample size of the playoffs can inflate your playoff stats quickly. There are a few players where I think we do have a large enough sample size to where we can actually make the argument that they perform better in the playoffs (Joel Ward and Danny Briere being two notable points of reference), but Mike Smith is not one of those players. He has played 19 games, which is a remarkably low sample size. His big run with the Coyotes wasn't actually that far off of his numbers for that season.

I'm not saying that Smith does or does not perform better in the playoffs, but that we don't really have that much data to tell.

He historically has the greatest playoff save percentage ever. lol

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Game was a little closer than the score indicated. Avs could have had a couple, Flames weren't all that sharp defensively IMO. Smith was really good, but not exactly like he stood on his head either. Thought Tkachuk and Gaudreau were great, MacK and Barrie were good for the Avs. The Flames turned it up in the 2nd and 3rd and it didn't look like Colorado had much of an answer. Going to need something from their bottom 9 if they hope to keep up.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
With regards to the Landeskog slash at the end...

Yea it was a penalty, and designed to send a message, but it was pretty benign. I've certainly seen much, much worse at the end of a game. Hell, fifteen years ago we would have considered ourselves lucky if that's all that we got at the end of 4-0 game, most of those would have ended in a brawl.

At least it's good banter material.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Mikko grew into the game pretty well and made some things happen in the third. Which I can't complain about from his first game in weeks :dunno:
Yah he looked tired, but Smith absolutely robbed him and he had another bad bounce. He was good considering he was out for so long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad