GDT: WCQF | G4| Oilers @ Kings | 4.23.23 | 7:00PM | SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Can someone send me $4000 so I can throw your money away on something cool?

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
RNH needs to have a game. And the Oilers need to hit the f***ing net more. Last game, Yamamoto and Bouchard missed the net entirely one after the other in the same shift, from 15 feet out. Those are lay-ups and need to count.

My memory is long enough for me to be confident tonight. Same feeling as last year. This team engages another gear when it matters the most. Anything can happen, but I feel a statement win for the Oilers is coming tonight.

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
Posting my rarest pepe for good luck. YOU CANNOT STEAL IT AND USE IT! IT IS ILLEGAL!

1681239998801980.gif

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I’m really getting tired of being gaslit on here.

The refs have been bad and have affected the series in LA’s favour. These are tangible facts.
The Oilers while “dominating” possession are not out scoring LA even strength.
McDavid doesn’t have a single 5v5 point.
Hyman, Yamamoto, Kane, Nuge have been either invisible or a liability.
Nurse has made major misplays on both game winning OT goals.

The reffing is only part of the picture and it’s the only thing some people are focusing on to the point where they are finding conspiracies and watching the same clips over and over and over to find more reasons it’s the “refs fault”. The refs are bad, they are bad league wide. Shit gets missed constantly. Tons of penalties have been missed on us too.

If the players are thinking the same way you and others are then this series is already over. All the players can do is adapt and overcome. If they Just spend all their time crying about the refs than this team is simply pathetic.

If this team is so much better than La like the advanced stats show then it’s time to have that reflect on the score board.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009

The refs have been bad and have affected the series in LA’s favour. These are tangible facts.
It's like a spectrum. On one hand, there are conspiracies about the refs and NHL that are obviously ridiculous. On the other hand, there are just straight-up boot-lickers who don't tolerate any criticism of the officials.

That said, we've got a brand new game tonight, and if the Oilers win, the series becomes a best of 3 with them having home ice. LFG.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Would absolutely Edm to just blow them out of the water here on out. As if to say the kings insane luck has run out. But then part if me is like, what controversial way will Edm lose this one? Lol. Oh well. Do or die. Let’s see what happens.

We all know it’s true. always avoid the main boards. Lol.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Jays Presser

Thanks! Beginning of Woodcroft's presser sounded like it was from a submarine with the poor audio. Believe he said Kane was off the ice today as a 'maintenance morning.' Little concerned about this player being banged up. The last 'maintenance day' guy report was Janmark who is not expected back in the series.

Kane is a vital weapon this team needs to help turn the tide.

Reactions: guymez

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
I took a look at the regular season series just to see how differently things seem to be going with the basic info I could find. Keep in mind this is just a loose look since it's such small sample sizes, and 4 regular season games vs 3 playoff ones. I’m also pretty bad at comparing and organizing stats, I just felt like giving it a go.
Regular season / Playofffs team stats:

Oilers:
9GF 10 GA / 9GF 9 GA
6 ES GF 4 ES GA / 5 ES GF 5 ES GA
7.3 team shooting % / 7.7% shooting %
0.925 team sv% / 0.9 team sv%
15.4% PP / 50% PP
76.5% PK / 73.3% PK
31 Shots per game / 39 Shots per game
33.5 Shots against per game / 30 Shots against per game
-5 net penalties / -7 net penalties

Overall, the team stats look pretty similar, even slightly improved compared to the regular season, with PP being the only massive difference. I didn't realize how well LA shut our PP down in the regular season.

Kings:
10GF 9 GA / 9GF 9 GA
6 ES GF 5 ES GA / 5 ES GF 4 ES GA
7.5 team shooting % / 10% shooting %
0.927 team sv% / 0.923 team sv%
23.5% PP / 26.7% PP
84.6% PK / 50% PK
33.5 Shots per game / 30 Shots per game
31 Shots against per game / 39 Shots against per game
+5 net penalties / +7 net penalties

LA looks like it's been pretty consistent, with a few areas slightly worse compared to the regular season, with their PK obviously being the stand out as much less effective.

I wanted to look into the top 6 a bit as well, which is tougher when Kane and Yam didn't play all the games against LA, but came up with:

Drai regular season ES / Playoff ES : -------0g 2a / 2g 1a
Drai regular season Total vs Playoffs total: 1g 3a / 3g 3a

Mcdavid regular season ES / Playoff ES: -----1g 0a / 0g 0a
Mcdavid regular season total / playoff total: 2g 1a / 2g 1a

Kane (only 2gp) regular season ES / Playoff ES: -----1g 0a / 0g 1a
Kane (only 2gp) regular season total / playoff total: 1g 0a / 1g 1a

Nuge regular season ES / Playoff ES: -----0g 0a / 0g 0a
Nuge regular season total / playoff total: 1g 1a / 0g 2a

Yam (3gp) regular season ES / Playoff ES: -----1g 1a / 0g 0a
Yam (3gp) regular season total / playoff total: 1g 1a / 0g 0a

Hyman regular season ES / Playoff ES: ------1g 0a / 0g 0a
Hyman regular season total / playoff total: 1g 0a / 0g 1a

Top 6 ES Regular Season / Playoffs: ---4 goals / 2 goals
Top 6 Regular Season / Playoffs totals: 6 goals / 5 goals

So our goal production from the top 6 really hasn't dropped in total, but our ES scoring went from 4 guys having an ES goal, to just one guy having both so far in the series.

I didn’t have time to compare between seasons on this one, but Korpisalo is sitting at 4.6 5v5 goals saved above expected, with the next highest goalie having 1.5 less. Meanwhile Skinner is at 1.8 which shows him as still being better than expected, but Korpisalo is on another level from the rest of the league.

I was going to dig into the kings top 6 too, but this has taken way longer than I was hoping, and all it's really shown me is that both teams are playing pretty much how we all should have expected from this series. Korpisalo being on an absolute heater 5v5 is a big advantage to the kings of course, but our difference making ability with our PP being 50% should be able to overcome that, especially given his pk save % is pedestrian at best.

Whether you think the calls are justified or not, the difference in this series hasn't been the kings stepping up, or the oilers backing off, it's been the kings goalie being on a heater, combined with a league high +7 PP differential for the kings, with the oilers having the second least amount of PPs drawn in the playoffs.

Take away either of those two factors, and nobody is talking about how the kings have stepped up, or the Oilers aren't playing well enough imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: 29Beast97Mode

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It's like a spectrum. On one hand, there are conspiracies about the refs and NHL that are obviously ridiculous. On the other hand, there are just straight-up boot-lickers who don't tolerate any criticism of the officials.

That said, we've got a brand new game tonight, and if the Oilers win, the series becomes a best of 3 with them having home ice. LFG.
Can't speak for others but its not this for me. Its that I want to just see a good game and hope for one rather than watching and viewing a team be f***ed over because thats the thought process I'm entering into. If I dive into the latter mindset I can't even watch.

Its not denial, delusion, boot licking. Its just that we want hockey, not contrived bs on ice. I think we all do. We're all fans of the same club.

Travis093

Travis
May 5, 2012
Saskatoon
Chatgpt summerizes post #1:

Oilerz fight Kingz 2nite in playoffz. Kingz lead seriez 2-1. Game time 7PM MT. Oilerz play good, but stil lose. Big game 4 Oilerz, no wan 2 b down 3-1. Kingz play dirty, but win anyway. McDavid score lots, but Oilerz still sad. Kingz power play good, Oilerz need 2 stop penaltyz. Oilerz gots more shots, but Kingz score more goals. Game 4 big 4 both teamz. Yay hockey!

Chatgpt predicts the outcome of game 4:

Oilers win G4, yay! McDavid, Draisaitl make goals, team good. Power play do good, less oopsies. Series now 2-2, happy Oilers. Play more games, be good.

Emotive

Oct 6, 2017
Really wish woodcraft would have called the officiating out after the last game but it is what it is. Oilers have carried the play and been the better team for the majority of every game, they need to stop blowing leads and be extra disciplined. Don't give the refs any excuses to give LA a PP. Korpisalo has been good but he is beatable. The most frustrating part about this series so far is that the kings have really not looked that good, and the oilers are beating themselves. Everyone needs to be better tonight, this is must win now

dsi

Sep 13, 2005
Ottawa
I want to see the Oilers start diving in this game.

The NHL has basically curated this as an effective strategy, so may as well get with the times. The refs keep biting on LA’s persistent embellishment, we are at a disadvantage if we don’t do it as well.
If the Oilers start diving the refs will undoubtedly call them for diving. There is no way the Oilers can influence the refs to a positive outcome.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
Really wish woodcraft would have called the officiating out after the last game but it is what it is. Oilers have carried the play and been the better team for the majority of every game, they need to stop blowing leads and be extra disciplined. Don't give the refs any excuses to give LA a PP. Korpisalo has been good but he is beatable. The most frustrating part about this series so far is that the kings have really not looked that good, and the oilers are beating themselves. Everyone needs to be better tonight, this is must win now

what would calling out the officiating do, besides a fine for woodcroft and the situation arguably worsening?

Do you really think if he called them out they’d be like oh, we better make more calls Edmonton’s way. They’d probably just laugh. If you call someone out who generally believes they do no wrong, you often just force them to do more of what they were doing.

Best thing for Woodcroft and the Oilers to do is just shut up and remove the refs from the game. Their top 6 wingers and Mcdavid have ONE even strength goal all series and it was on an empty net. They have bigger shit to worry about than the refs.

Last edited:

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
LA is a 2.49 on sports interaction right now. That is some pretty good odds. It is the biggest payout for NHL games in the next two games in fact. Even Florida has better odds to beat Boston! lol. It is crazy. The only explanation I can think of is that there are a bunch of Oilers fans betting and driving the line. $20 wins you just under $50 if LA wins, which I think they will. Pretty easy money, and if you lose, who cares, the Oilers won! haha.

Reactions: Leonardlizard

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Kozari has been a NHL ref since 2003, and apparently nobody in the entire league has chirped him besides McDavid therefore he ONLY hates the OIL and McDavid.

• Haha
Reactions: Mez and ujju2

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I want to see the Oilers start diving in this game.

The NHL has basically curated this as an effective strategy, so may as well get with the times. The refs keep biting on LA’s persistent embellishment, we are at a disadvantage if we don’t do it as well.
The funny thing is though, it'll be the Oilers players called for embellishment while the kings player won't get anything.

Reactions: dsi and K1984

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Bettman and the refs have it out for the Oilers, but if this game goes in the Oilers favor as far as reffing, it's because Bettman doesn't want to make it too obvious

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad