GDT: WCQF | G4| Oilers @ Kings | 4.23.23 | 7:00PM | SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

lopper

Oct 22, 2006
AB
Would love for the top 6 to show up together and bury these guys early. Get up 3 or 4 and possibly take the shitty reffing out of the equation. Won’t get to watch this one on tv which is probably good for my mental health :laugh:

Reactions: Duke74

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I want to see the Oilers start diving in this game.

The NHL has basically curated this as an effective strategy, so may as well get with the times. The refs keep biting on LA’s persistent embellishment, we are at a disadvantage if we don’t do it as well.
Unfortunately you can’t just start diving in the playoffs if it’s not part of your built in team culture, like it is with certain teams, like the Kings, Canucks, etc. They have been playing that way for so long that their style is ingrained in the refs heads as acceptable. For us it would be totally out of character, and would be an instant red flag for the refs.

Reactions: Duke74

Navx94

Jan 17, 2019
Let’s f***ing go. Today we show LA those 2 fluke wins won’t matter. Oilers in 66666

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
They say 70% of game 3 winners win the series, this won’t be easy but you gotta believe. Let’s go boys!

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
Show up and do something Hyman. Any time now. You too, RNH. And you Kane. Don't expect anything from Yamamoto and he still manages to disappoint.

Had a bad feeling about the fix in game 3, did not watch, surely the league did not disappoint, will definitely not watch tonight's game, don't need the aggravation. I hate this league so much I'm willing to miss my beloved Oilers for it. Enjoy the game, Go Oilers!
Pretty much where I'm at too. Went for a run last game at the end of the 1st period, came back to 2-2 and made the mistake of expecting the game to be decided by the two teams playing.

Reactions: Zguy370

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
No doubt that 4 of the 6 top line players have contributed next to nothing so far in the series. Injuries may be a factor but this time of year all kinds of teams are banged up. Excuses need to stop immediately--like I said before (and others have said as well)--- just win baby--just win.
Its weird to me that a handful of players were showing more intensity and assertive play in regular season than in playoffs. I just can't fathom that. This is the only time that matters, post season. All the work you did all season, its all just further to this.

At times the Oilers have lacked that playoff gear. Too busy getting results in regular season and digging too deep for those? I wonder. The team doesn't look fresh. It looks drawn out. We're a bigger team but we're not absolutely dominating puck battle. We're even losing some key battles.

This two player comparison captures something too. Danault had his worst season as a King this year. Really it was not a strong season for him at all. I kind of thought he was done. Lots of mileage. Conversely Nuge has had his strongest season ever, and not even close. Yet it astounds which one has been the more impactful player in the playoffs.

Going into this series, based on respective seasons anybody could think Nuge would be having a greater stamp on series then Danault. But that ain't happening.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The Kozari narrative is outdated imo.

I’m pretty sure McDavid apologized to him or something a while back and ever since that point Kozari has actually been pretty Oiler-friendly.

I remember in one of the Oilers games this pair did Lee kept calling penalties against the Oilers and Kozari kept calling penalties against the other team.

I actually think the league specifically chose Kozari tonight because they know this and they need this game to be called better for the Oilers to avoid more headlines.
Pretty reasonable post this morn. Could be. For sure the NHL has some hot water to be dealing with in this, and in the Leafs series. These series sure are trending, not in great ways, but in WTF ways. Maybe the NHL has a pulse and will be more focused tonight. Need some experience callng this game in anycase. Things could get ugly.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Its weird to me that a handful of players were showing more intensity and assertive play in regular season than in playoffs. I just can't fathom that. This is the only time that matters, post season. All the work you did all season, its all just further to this.

At times the Oilers have lacked that playoff gear. Too busy getting results in regular season and digging too deep for those? I wonder. The team doesn't look fresh. It looks drawn out. We're a bigger team but we're not absolutely dominating puck battle. We're even losing some key battles.

This two player comparison captures something too. Danault had his worst season as a King this year. Really it was not a strong season for him at all. I kind of thought he was done. Lots of mileage. Conversely Nuge has had his strongest season ever, and not even close. Yet it astounds which one has been the more impactful player in the playoffs.

Going into this series, based on respective seasons anybody could think Nuge would be having a greater stamp on series then Danault. But that ain't happening.
Post season is always the new season and you find out how good players really are when they are subject to extreme pressure. That's where its at tonight.

Reactions: Ibanez

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
3 games in and were down by 1 despite having been the better team in every game.

Frustrating, and disheartening, but hopefully they can take another step forward this game and dominate so hard that no amount of luck from Korpisalo, or bias from the officials can turn another should be victory into a loss.

Bring it home tied and with the momentum swinging in our favour please. Let’s just win and put this absolutely awful to watch team behind us.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Post season is always the new season and you find out how good players really are when they are subject to extreme pressure. That's where its at tonight.
AS I've mentioned Kostin, Ryan, and Bjugstad have been support players that look like they got their playoff game faces on. If a coach is reading which players are ready he'd be playing these guys more. I would say McCloud too except he's struggled in puck battle but he's been good skating the puck.

I would put Drai back with Kostin and Ryan. That way we get a topnine forward config, 3 lines that can do some damage, and that confounds LA's 2 strong C set. If Drai gets matchups against LA 3C thats the best way to exploit LA in EV play. That would be classic mismatch. Gotta get our talent away from Kopitar/Danault coverage.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
This game is a win/win for me.

If we win the game, we’re back in the series.

If we lose, I’m one step closer to not watching the rest of the playoffs and inconsistent officiating which is the worst I’ve seen in a while across the board.
Put $50 on LA to win this game, another 50 to win the series.

Win-win-win-win

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
The Oilers really need to get to the paint more. They are getting boxed out too easy. Never get to rebounds clean.

If they play the same way as the last 3 games, BUT FINISH, they win.

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
The Oilers really need to get to the paint more. They are getting boxed out too easy. Never get to rebounds clean.

If they play the same way as the last 3 games, BUT FINISH, they win.
Yea. Lots of rebounds with zero danger in terms of being scored. People not willing to go to the paint. Korpi is playing great but we also aren’t doing enough to make it hard on him.

I expect a pissed off and angry team tonight.

If we really are good. We will win this game decisively.

Also hopefully some regression for Korpi starts to kick in. Hard to keep up that save percentage over time

Balakay14

Sep 17, 2019
Time to show up and win. The dam breaks and the Oilers score more than 3 goals for the first time tonight. Can't give the refs any reason to call weak penalties, so need to be disciplined throughout. They've been the better team all 3 games, the heater for Korpisalo ends and the Oilers win the next 3 to close this out.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
They just need to come in with a business like attitude. Play to the whistles and leave all that after whistle stuff aside. Play the game and win with your talent. We are being sucked into taking penalties

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
If the refs let them play, it will benefit the Oilers, who are obviously the better 5v5 team. Also, it would be nice if the first thing RNH does all game isn't taking a slashing penalty in OT.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Didn’t Kozari and McDavid make up and the grudge is dead? I thought they had some offseason talk or something and McDavid apologized, he’s been fine since then.

The first year or so afterwards was bad with Kozari but he’s largely been fine if I recall more recently.

I don’t necessarily think Kozari is a bad thing.

Chris Lee sucks but he sucks for everyone.

The reality is we have ourselves to blame for a number of the calls. We need to play our game and just focus on that, don’t worry about the refs.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Unfortunately you can’t just start diving in the playoffs if it’s not part of your built in team culture, like it is with certain teams, like the Kings, Canucks, etc. They have been playing that way for so long that their style is ingrained in the refs heads as acceptable. For us it would be totally out of character, and would be an instant red flag for the refs.

This is true. They’re basically skilled at it at this point.

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
This game is a win/win for me.

If we win the game, we’re back in the series.

If we lose, I’m one step closer to not watching the rest of the playoffs and inconsistent officiating which is the worst I’ve seen in a while across the board.
This is the way I see it. We still have a chance and if we win tonight I'm pretty confident we can still take the series. If we lose tonight, I have no desire whatsoever to watch the rest of the series and I won't waste my time. The Kings would have way too much belief that they can defeat us at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad