GDT: WCQF #5 | "Skate Or Die" | Oilers vs Kings | May 10 2022, 8PM MT/7PT | CBC, SN, ESPN2, BSSC/630CHED, AM570

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Kane - McDavid - Yamamoto
McLeod - Draisaitl - Hyman
Archibald - Nugent-Hopkins - Puljujarvi
Foegele - Ryan - Kassian

Nurse - Ceci
Keith - Bouchard
Kulak - Barrie

Smith
Koskinen

this is their best lineup IMO. I know a lot of people hate Archi for things that have nothing to do with his play on the ice, but I care about winning hockey games. Expect them to come out flying tonight.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
bad narrative...Playing a 3rd place team in the division isn't a "weak" opponent
playing a team like the Preds or Stars, both teams who back into the playoffs...is a much "weaker" opponent

Indeed. 2 v 3 matchups are ‘supposed’ to be the tightest, whereas 1 v WC are not ‘supposed’ to be as tight, and in some cases, a sweep of the WC should be expected.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Foegele - Ryan - Kassian

Nurse - Ceci
Keith - Bouchard
Kulak - Barrie

Smith
Koskinen

this is their best lineup IMO. I know a lot of people hate Archi for things that have nothing to do with his play on the ice, but I care about winning hockey games. Expect them to come out flying tonight.
Sorry, it has very much to do with his play on the ice. Particularly his results when paired with Nugent Hopkins. They were destroyed when on the ice together last game. They only ended up with results results in Game 3 because they had a few killer shifts in the third when the team was up 5-2 which were so good they propped up the numbers significantly.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
The Oilers biggest opponent is always themselves. Very rarely do they play a game and lose where you look at it and say "well is what it is, the opposition was just the way better team tonight and outplayed us despite our best effort."

In theory being your own worst enemy should be a good thing because the power is within the team to change it themselves, but when we do it as routinely as we do it is scary because the quality of the opposition almost becomes irrelevant.

It is truly breathtaking how this team does this. I just don't understand how they just collectively decide to take a night off in a playoff game, especially after they were supposed to "learn lessons" after the first game. One thing about this team - they will never learn anything. The demons will always be there and they won't go away, we just have to hope they don't rear their ugly head at the wrong time.

I don’t disagree but it’s often the case with other teams as well. Rangers and Stars fans would say their teams did the same as well last night (beat themselves, though the refs did the Stars no favours and the Rangers game was not simply their team not showing up, I’d say Oilers last game was also LA getting all the puck luck they needed).

The only series you can confidently say that there weren’t really any games where the team beat themselves in losing is this Avs - Preds series (even though Preds led for a bit in two games, they weren’t expected to win).

They need to come out with maximum effort tonight, regardless

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Indeed. 2 v 3 matchups are ‘supposed’ to be the tightest, whereas 1 v WC are not ‘supposed’ to be as tight, and in some cases, a sweep of the WC should be expected.
This is what gets me. Both the Oilers and Flames are tied at 2 games a piece in their series. Yet one is applauded and the other is lambasted. Calgary has a much easier opponent but they are applauded for being tied 2-2 while Edmonton is being lambasted. Neither team has made it out of the first round recently so why are the Oilers taking shit while the flames are not?

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Like the lineup tweaks. Yamamoto has been a great spark when played with McDavid and Kane. Give top line another aggressive guy to compete in battle areas and fish out pucks. McLeod's skating is a weapon so adding size and speed to Draisaitl and Hyman helps to push the play against opposition. His finishing skills are still a work in progress but if he helps open ice and more quality shot options for the team's best scorer, Draisaitl, then it is a win.

Puljujarvi to 3W hopefully gives Nugent Hopkins someone with greater offensive abilities to work with and option for his distributor skills. As inconsistent as Foegele has been, I'd move him to 3W as another larger body trying to coax out greater offensive potential/hope for the third line. Nugent Hopkins doesn't have to have the puck on his stick long just greater wing support who can finish on his distributor skills. Foegele > Archibald in erratic ability to put the puck in the net. Maybe though Archibald is a right hand face-off option support for Nugent Hopkins... but still...

Archibald and Kassian between Ryan would seem to me a more natural fourth line that can ground and pound.

This team needs a jolt after game 4's flaccid performance.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
This is what gets me. Both the Oilers and Flames are tied at 2 games a piece in their series. Yet one is applauded and the other is lambasted. Calgary has a much easier opponent but they are applauded for being tied 2-2 while Edmonton is being lambasted. Neither team has made it out of the first round recently so why are the Oilers taking shit while the flames are not?

Despite the standings I just dont see how the Stars are an easier team to play then Kings tbh. Not to mention Kings are missing Doughty.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011

Because of a few things, I’d suspect:

HF Mains is a cancer

Flames “came back” from a 2-1 deficit in the series whereas the Oilers have done the opposite

The media loves sniffing Flames farts and have for a very long time. They are treated as Toronto east. It’s odd because they have a comparatively small bandwagon fanbase, so it’s not like it sells many clicks.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Despite the standings I just dont see how the Stars are an easier team to play then Kings tbh. Not to mention Kings are missing Doughty.
Oettinger and Pavelski are the only reasons this is even a series. Dallas has played flat in most of their games. I have no doubt in my mind the Oilers would beat the Stars in less than 6 games.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
I would take Calgary over Dallas. The Flames can't transition the puck worth a damn from the backend, so Dallas has had probably an easier time with them than they would with the Oilers' offense, but they are still suffocating and Oettinger is legit.

Gotta get passed LA first. Damn, that last game has me shaken.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I don’t disagree but it’s often the case with other teams as well. Rangers and Stars fans would say their teams did the same as well last night (beat themselves).

The only series you can confidently say that there weren’t really any games where the team beat themselves in losing is this Avs - Preds series (even though Preds led for a bit in two games, they weren’t expected to win).

They need to come out with maximum effort tonight, regardless

The difference is that at least in some of these series, you could argue the only way one team wins is by playing their best perfect game vs. the other having a sub-par game and that a less than perfect performance by that same vs. an average to above average performance for the other is a loss 90% of the time. That's what I think we have here in this series.

Personally, I think it's the same thing in the Calgary-Dallas series. If Calgary is playing the game they are capable of, Dallas would literally have zero room for error. The difference is that Dallas has a recent playoff run with more of their current players that have a better chance to dial in that perfect game including a recent playoff matchup against Calgary to draw from.

Same with the Washington-Florida series.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
It's because 90% of hockey media played against the Oilers of the 80's in the NHL and lost every f***ing year to them. Those old pricks still hold a grudge today. They don't give a shit about the Flames because they've always been, and will always be, irrelevant. Irrelevant teams don't get hated on by the media. Then the other 10% are Ontario mouth breathers who drool and shout "Leafs" at every chance they get and are still pissed the Oil got McDavid.

Oil 4-2 tonight. f*** the Kings.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
You're immersed in the Edmonton fan collective opinion. Calgary fans are pretty pissed with how their series has gone as well.

Also both fan bases suffer from recency bias. I don't think many were lambasting Edmonton after Game 3, while Calgary fan bases were roasting Calgary big time. Edmonton loses a game, the sentiment changes, Calgary wins a game, the sentiment changes.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Didn't LA just come back and win after losing two straight, including the second one at home in humiliating fashion?

I can appreciate the deflated feeling and I'd probably feel similar, but even when the road team wins Game 5 going up 3-2, the home team pulls it off about 25% of the time.

By winning 2 of the first 3 games Edmonton gave themselves some runway that no individual game is a must win until they have lost 3.
This applies to most clubs but I don't think I'd want the Oilers to be playing around with a long series or a game 7. The Oil seem to get keyed up and holding sticks tight in big post season games. Again I expect they pull it out tonight. But I worry about the game in LA where we don't have last change. Kings played well in both home games. Game 3 was some score distortion, which happens in hockey. Kings deserved to have the lead after game 3 first period.

In anycase I don't want to envision the Oilers losing 3 games in this series.

Who is applauding the Flames? GreatKeith?

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Excellent clean & professional GDT @MoreDifferentS. It will represent us well on the Main Board.

So, rough start in Game 4
0B8AF68F-08C8-4E31-B2CE-B171C1757E0E.gif

Resulting in a collapse
A7E70F78-74C0-4823-B7CD-50E31DEB813F.gif

Tonight I believe the offense will return in style
57EBBCA9-7DB2-4FC3-A979-8B23BBF6DC70.gif

And come out flying
51EC4FD0-1D09-4CE8-AFFE-0930F798CC94.gif

Putting the Kings in difficult situations
9049110A-D865-4248-BD89-D7CDD19D2EC7.gif

I expect a good forecheck
CDEFDAA7-9040-4DC1-ABEA-829603A5016A.gif

Smitty making the big stops
8C22CC4B-5FBB-4E86-82A3-71FBFB644FB6.gif

a lot
View attachment 543776

Physical play from our Big Guys
246B3F70-A792-46C7-BAA0-0B63266CF613.gif

View attachment 543785

Forcing the Kings to miss their opportunities
766EFB17-6D57-423D-BB51-EACEEDB741F0.gif

While the Oilers bury theirs
3196419F-F7D3-4F76-9EA8-5784C321FA87.jpeg

We know the Officiating is not something to rely upon
C2DD4758-E4DC-4073-98AD-15EE2DD44CEE.gif

And need to find our own way to come out on top with their shenanigans
C48F16F9-EDE5-47FE-B6F8-CDD5F22779E2.gif

Striking back effectively
8F4D6ABE-F0D6-45CB-9D50-C941B648AF4D.gif

As I expect this one to get rough
View attachment 543781

Just keep it simple
A59415A0-5F35-410D-9BC1-D3F813EF213F.gif

Expose their gaps
2FE0AB5E-E6E7-46B3-9D30-D4EED218A026.gif

Take the opportunities when they’re available
74B67B9F-66F8-4929-881F-313756D80CB3.gif

View attachment 543787

And Let them make mistakes
View attachment 543777

And then capitalize on them
View attachment 543779

Do that and the Kings will fall
330829C9-76A9-4A22-BF1A-60CF7888E0DD.gif

View attachment 543778
View attachment 543786

As they can’t keep up with our speed if we play our game
View attachment 543782

Perceived Control / Momentum of the Series will be ripped away from them
7C97C657-65DB-45E9-AA27-A6B543FDB66D.gif

And begin the end of the Kings hopes
View attachment 543788

great post!!

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Oilers are horrendous in Game 4s since 2006 but are 5-1 in Game 5s since 2006 (let's not talk about the loss ;) )

this year they've proven to park losses pretty quickly and they're at home...I like their chances
The last Game 5 loss at home for Edmonton was the Stanley Cup Finals in 1987 vs. Philadelphia. We got this.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Foegele - Ryan - Kassian

Nurse - Ceci
Keith - Bouchard
Kulak - Barrie

Smith
Koskinen

💪 pretty much sums it up

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
This applies to most clubs but I don't think I'd want the Oilers to be playing around with a long series or a game 7. The Oil seem to get keyed up and holding sticks tight in big post season games. Again I expect they pull it out tonight. But I worry about the game in LA where we don't have last change. Kings played well in both home games. Game 3 was some score distortion, which happens in hockey. Kings deserved to have the lead after game 3 first period.

In anycase I don't want to envision the Oilers losing 3 games in this series.

Who is applauding the Flames? GreatKeith?
I don't want them to lose a 3rd game, just saying that even if they do, they aren't done because of them getting 2 wins out of the way early in the series. Getting those 2 early meant LA has to win 3 of 4 games to take the series when they were a sub .500 team all season vs. Playoff teams (14-20-4, with 4 of those wins being in OT or SO so 10-20-8 in regulation),

Last edited:

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
Oilers positives:

- Game 4 was the single worst performance since Woodcroft took over, they can’t be that bad again and if they are then they deserve to lose and have the team blown up.

- Losing this series would mean no playoff BoA and as an Oilers fan who lives in Calgary I have absolutely zero interest in that happening, the pain of losing that series would eclipse the entire decade of darkness.

It’s a win/win anyway you look at it. Go Oilers!

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Oilers positives:

- Game 4 was the single worst performance since Woodcroft took over, they can’t be that bad again and if they are then they deserve to lose and have the team blown up.

- Losing this series would mean no playoff BoA and as an Oilers fan who lives in Calgary I have absolutely zero interest in that happening, the pain of losing that series would eclipse the entire decade of darkness.

It’s a win/win anyway you look at it. Go Oilers!
But think of the joy of a BoA win. It would most certainly be worth the risk... right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad