GDT: WCQF #5 | "Skate Or Die" | Oilers vs Kings | May 10 2022, 8PM MT/7PT | CBC, SN, ESPN2, BSSC/630CHED, AM570

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
The Oilers biggest opponent is always themselves. Very rarely do they play a game and lose where you look at it and say "well is what it is, the opposition was just the way better team tonight and outplayed us despite our best effort."

In theory being your own worst enemy should be a good thing because the power is within the team to change it themselves, but when we do it as routinely as we do it is scary because the quality of the opposition almost becomes irrelevant.

It is truly breathtaking how this team does this. I just don't understand how they just collectively decide to take a night off in a playoff game, especially after they were supposed to "learn lessons" after the first game. One thing about this team - they will never learn anything. The demons will always be there and they won't go away, we just have to hope they don't rear their ugly head at the wrong time.
In my opinion, this is what happened in game 4. I don't really buy the narrative that the Oilers decided to not try as hard for that game. The Kings came out harder than they had in and of the previous three games, and played their game to perfection. They were way better on the PK, and they were stellar defensively for the first half of the game.

The Oilers didn't even play that badly after the halfway point of the second, they had many chances to get back into the game. Was just one of those games. I just didn't think the Kings were capable of playing at that level for half a game, which makes me concerned about what's going to happen tonight.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
The Oilers biggest opponent is always themselves. Very rarely do they play a game and lose where you look at it and say "well is what it is, the opposition was just the way better team tonight and outplayed us despite our best effort."

In theory being your own worst enemy should be a good thing because the power is within the team to change it themselves, but when we do it as routinely as we do it is scary because the quality of the opposition almost becomes irrelevant.

It is truly breathtaking how this team does this. I just don't understand how they just collectively decide to take a night off in a playoff game, especially after they were supposed to "learn lessons" after the first game. One thing about this team - they will never learn anything. The demons will always be there and they won't go away, we just have to hope they don't rear their ugly head at the wrong time.
It’s really puzzling too because this is not a new thing. It’s been happening going all the way back to when MacT was coaching. So it’s not the coach or the players as none of those coaches or players are around anymore. So the question is what is it? The city , the fans the water? Makes zero sense

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
You a former goalie? (splits) I missed if you've said that.

ps why wouldn't shooters just aim for the 5 hole there. Or anywhere upstairs? Small goalies, other than Fuhr are not often my favorites. Prefer size in net. Just a lot more covered by a man like Smith.
there are 2 mentalities on taking that shot from a coaching standpoint. simplistically 5 hole or high. if you have less accurate shooters or good traffic you would coach go 5 hole and worse case scenario hit a pad for a rebound. If you have quick release and accurate shooters i would coach them to go high glove just inside the post. i mean it all depends on angle, time and the shooter. but im shooting high all day there.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
there are 2 mentalities on taking that shot from a coaching standpoint. simplistically 5 hole or high. if you have less accurate shooters or good traffic you would coach go 5 hole and worse case scenario hit a pad for a rebound. If you have quick release and accurate shooters i would coach them to go high glove just inside the post. i mean it all depends on angle, time and the shooter. but im shooting high all day there.
Agreed, I was being a bit cheeky. Go high all day or go home.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
In my opinion, this is what happened in game 4. I don't really buy the narrative that the Oilers decided to not try as hard for that game. The Kings came out harder than they had in and of the previous three games, and played their game to perfection. They were way better on the PK, and they were stellar defensively for the first half of the game.

The Oilers didn't even play that badly after the halfway point of the second, they had many chances to get back into the game. Was just one of those games. I just didn't think the Kings were capable of playing at that level for half a game, which makes me concerned about what's going to happen tonight.
Reasonable post. But I told the board the Kings can play games like this from start to end. The thing is it takes a lot of energy and they can't necessarily play all games like this. Kings came out of the gate harder faster. Same thing happened in Dallas. Its part of the nature of the game. Establishing in games from puck drop is important. But many of the Oilers players have it in their heads that you can stake out games later. Comeback, get into a groove. The trouble is when your opponent has the lead its a lot of uphill trying to get the game back. The team behind inevitably makes more errors than the team that is frontrunning. Or so the script goes.

But I think that the Oilers playing good AFTER the first period is the problem. The Oilers are strong in 2nd periods but I'd rather it be the first.

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta

Interesting, and I like it.

This is what I would like to see.

Yamo with Kane and McDavid.

McLeod with Draisaitl and Hyman

Puljujarvi with Nuge and Brassard.

Ryan between Kassian and Foegele.

Have Kane Yams and McDavid even been put together in this series yet? That line chemistry produced nuclear fission in the regular season. Woodcroft would be foolish to not put them back together wouldn't he? McDavid has been "good" in these past few games but he hasn't really completely taken a game over yet. He certainly could with better line mates.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Its not surprising. Pulju was basically benched at 11mins of play last game and he was invisible. While McLeods pace has been helpful, and he can skate with the Kings, he's not really doing much either. Doesn't have the mitts yet for the NHL game.

Once again its probably McDrai, Kane, Hyman have to do the heavy lifting and run support.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009

So I'm partly right, do the other switches.

Probably almost close to bang-on, but I think Ryan is still out, and Brassard will come out for Archibald.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

I agree with this. I do think there is such a thing as complex motivation. Like for instance, if a player is playing for a new contract you will probably get that little extra push from them. Look at how good Kane has been. The game 4 Kings were full of motivation. They swapped out a bunch of players with young and hungry players for starters. Most of all, they were humiliated at home in game 3. The Oilers running up the score was a bad thing because it really made every King embarrassed in front of their own fans. They were going to come out swinging game 4. They were more motivated.

I know the Stanley Cup should be enough motivation, or their big salaries, but this is a universal truth for all teams. It's psychology. The other side also has that cup motivation.

I'd say that now favors us though. We humiliated LA, but they ran up the score against the Oilers right back. I'd think there should be plenty of fear in our club, fear of how much the fans will be disappointed if they lose that game, compared to how fun it would be if things are going well.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Probably almost close to bang-on, but I think Ryan is still out, and Brassard will come out for Archibald.
If Ryan is out, Then Shore would have to come in if Brassard comes out.

It just looked like #15 wasn't in the lineup last game.

Its not surprising. Pulju was basically benched at 11mins of play last game and he was invisible. While McLeods pace has been helpful, and he can skate with the Kings, he's not really doing much either. Doesn't have the mitts yet for the NHL game.

Once again its probably McDrai, Kane, Hyman have to do the heavy lifting and run support.
So the best players have to do the majority of the work in the game? You mean like how pro sports works?

Reactions: soothsayer

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Exactly and especially since we have McDavid, Drai, Kane and Hyman. These guys are very very good shooters. No reason to go low. 5 hole I get, but Quick so rarely let’s in a 5 hole unless he’s rattled. Once he’s been beaten like games 2 and 3, he gets rattled and will let in easy goals

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I agree with this. I do think there is such a thing as complex motivation. Like for instance, if a player is playing for a new contract you will probably get that little extra push from them. Look at how good Kane has been. The game 4 Kings were full of motivation. They swapped out a bunch of players with young and hungry players for starters. Most of all, they were humiliated at home in game 3. The Oilers running up the score was a bad thing because it really made every King embarrassed in front of their own fans. They were going to come out swinging game 4. They were more motivated.

I know the Stanley Cup should be enough motivation, or their big salaries, but this is a universal truth for all teams. It's psychology. The other side also has that cup motivation.

I'd say that now favors us though. We humiliated LA, but they ran up the score against the Oilers right back. I'd think there should be plenty of fear in our club, fear of how much the fans will be disappointed if they lose that game, compared to how fun it would be if things are going well.
There weren't many lineup changes between game 3 and 4. Basically Stecher coming in. AA taken out. I was the one saying that McLellan SHOULD but Stecher in. Was the right thing to do to try to solidify the back end a bit.

But the bolded describes the Kings overall, and what they are as a team. Young and hungry and able to play with a lot of pace and jam. The game 4 Grundstrom is the one usually seen. Not sure if he was banged up or what but he's been in the lineup, just not visible till game 4. Other players like Moore, Danault, good as they are its tough for vets to play with that pace every game.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
If Ryan is out, Then Shore would have to come in if Brassard comes out.

It just looked like #15 wasn't in the lineup last game.

So the best players have to do the majority of the work in the game? You mean like how pro sports works?
Its playoffs. Team can key on a few players. In playoffs its important to get depth contributions as well. Every season we work McDrai into the ground. We expect them to bring it every game in the playoffs but how much gas is in the tank? How healthy are they? We're lucky to have obtained Kane. Big add, or it would be easier to shut us down. Basically our leading playoff scorer is gift wrapped from an idiot SJ sharks org. I wouldn't want to see what this series is looking like without 5 huge goals from Kane.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Its playoffs. Team can key on a few players. In playoffs its important to get depth contributions as well. Every season we work McDrai into the ground. We expect them to bring it every game in the playoffs but how much gas is in the tank? How healthy are they? We're lucky to have obtained Kane. Big add, or it would be easier to shut us down. Basically our leading playoff scorer is gift wrapped from an idiot SJ sharks org. I wouldn't want to see what this series is looking like without 5 huge goals from Kane.
That's my issue with Shore. I like his hustle, but he seems unable to consistently read what the danger is defensively. If he is targeted, he will likely give something to the Kings.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Am I the only one whos super disappointed that Foegele cant stick in the top 9?

The idea of what I thought we were getting in Foegele this offseason would really make a great third line in this iteration of the line up.

Foegele - Nuge - Pulju looks much better then Archi - Nuge - Pulju in theory. But the reality is that Foegele just goes huge stretches of being an absolute zero. Disappointing.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
This is why I have a hard time expected they won't blow it. I've said probably a couple dozen times that the Oilers constantly find a way to blast off their own leg when they should be aiming their shotgun at the opposition. See blowing a 3 goal lead to the Jets and Smith's pizza delivery in game 1 this year for quick references.

The Hawks, Jets, and Kings are teams the Oilers can absolutely beat in a series if they don't make incredibly stupid mistakes or play lazy thinking that they don't really need to try... That they can make it past such teams in the playoffs with half an effort. They'll never win anything if they can't put this bad habit behind them!
Agreed. The difference this year, is that they at least got that lead in the series they never could get vs. Chicago and Winnipeg which affords them a little bit of room that they couldn't afford the last two years.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Am I the only one whos super disappointed that Foegele cant stick in the top 9?

The idea of what I thought we were getting in Foegele this offseason would really make a great third line in this iteration of the line up.

Foegele - Nuge - Pulju looks much better then Archi - Nuge - Pulju in theory. But the reality is that Foegele just goes huge stretches of being an absolute zero. Disappointing.
We're not allowed to criticize Foegele here. ;)

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Have Kane Yams and McDavid even been put together in this series yet? That line chemistry produced nuclear fission in the regular season. Woodcroft would be foolish to not put them back together wouldn't he? McDavid has been "good" in these past few games but he hasn't really completely taken a game over yet. He certainly could with better line mates.
Seven minutes together with pretty dominant expected results, but somehow -1 on the only shot attempt against them last game (Grundstrom's goal).

1652202160133.png

All that said though, the numbers with Jesse were pretty similar in 36 minutes with a +3. I personally think this is more about getting something out of the third line than Jesse not helping the first line.

1652202399275.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad