GDT: WCQF #5 | "Skate Or Die" | Oilers vs Kings | May 10 2022, 8PM MT/7PT | CBC, SN, ESPN2, BSSC/630CHED, AM570

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
At least some of you are confident... I sincerely hope those players want to win as bad as we want to see them win. I don't even care how we win. If we can't win tonight, Kings probably win in 6 and it's another year of failure.

Reactions: soothsayer

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Not a factor in my opinion. A Colorado matchup would still be likely three weeks away if Edmonton could get there and whoever they play in the 2nd round, they'll take a pound of flesh.

The series of concern for Edmonton is the Calgary/Dallas series which is also knotted up, meaning the earliest the series ends will be Friday, so at this point the worst case scenario is that the winner of that series has 1 extra day off vs Edmonton where the best case is still Edmonton having 3 extra days. Anything longer than that has just as much risk of buliding rust.
With players being hurt, and riding a goalie that is 40yrs old and giving him tons of work each game (40some shots a game) I take the rust everytime. The Oilers squandered a chance to get rest. Due to the nature of our roster, and lack of quality depth we expose our top players to a shit load of work through 82 games and playoffs. For the make up of our team, rest is always going to be better.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I expect Oilers to win tonight. I equally expect them to follow their pattern and struggle in game 6.

In anycase its stupid for the Oilers to have made this into a long series while a club like Colorado are just resting and sitting back. I almost think the players have this notion that the more games they play the better, and that it gets them used to the playoffs more. Its not the case at all. Learning how to close out series when you have advantage and momentum is the lesson lost. I fear the Oilers always lose those kinds of lessons. We're just fortunate the Calgary-Dallas series is also tied up.
Colorado always wins 1st round series...it's the 2nd round, when thing get even tougher, where they struggle

they seem like a team on a mission this year though

Reactions: Oilhawks

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
I expect Oilers to win tonight. I equally expect them to follow their pattern and struggle in game 6.

In anycase its stupid for the Oilers to have made this into a long series while a club like Colorado are just resting and sitting back. I almost think the players have this notion that the more games they play the better, and that it gets them used to the playoffs more. Its not the case at all. Learning how to close out series when you have advantage and momentum is the lesson lost. I fear the Oilers always lose those kinds of lessons. We're just fortunate the Calgary-Dallas series is also tied up.

If I had to bet, I would go with the Oilers. But if I were asked what I think the odds were of them winning, I would say 50/50. But I do think they take it in 6 if they win tonight.

I think part of my concern are the stakes at play. If they lose this series, I won't know what to say. They'll have a playoff demon that only Father Merrin and Father Karras could exorcise.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to (hoping for) a much more physical game from the Oil tonight, and that LA has blew their wad last game. The Oilers can't possibly play worse.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
At least some of you are confident... I sincerely hope those players want to win as bad as we want to see them win. I don't even care how we win. If we can't win tonight, Kings probably win in 6 and it's another year of failure.
Any of the confidence I have is that after watching the first 4 games, I feel Edmonton is the better team and that their biggest opponent is themselves. If they come out and play the right way, sticking to their defensive assignments and taking the offensive opportunities as they come, they will win the game. Of that I have little doubt.

So if they lose they only have themselves to blame.

With players being hurt, and riding a goalie that is 40yrs old and giving him tons of work each game (40some shots a game) I take the rust everytime. The Oilers squandered a chance to get rest. Due to the nature of our roster, and lack of quality depth we expose our top players to a shit load of work through 82 games and playoffs. For the make up of our team, rest is always going to be better.
We'll get the rest when we sweep Calgary while Colorado gets beat up by Minnesota or St. Louis:sarcasm:

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
You a former goalie? (splits) I missed if you've said that.

ps why wouldn't shooters just aim for the 5 hole there. Or anywhere upstairs? Small goalies, other than Fuhr are not often my favorites. Prefer size in net. Just a lot more covered by a man like Smith.
I used to play floor hockey a ton and was goalie but never ice! I got most my flexibility from tae kwon do (was in it for years, big part of my life)

And yes you’re right. Size is the main thing in net ! Don’t think quick is very big actually. Like 6 feet on the nose. He is definitely beatable. We just weren’t getting many quality shots on him at all last game. We had a couple, but by then he was pretty dialed in

Regardless, need to solve him tonight.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Colorado always wins 1st round series...it's the 2nd round, when thing get even tougher, where they struggle

they seem like a team on a mission this year though
They also got a pretty lucky in their first round matchup. People want to complain about Edmonton getting a weak sauce LA team because they look at the age of the players, but Nashville as soon as they lost Saros was the easiest matchup possible. Good for them though they earned it with their regular season and should have got the easiest opponent.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
To be honest? I'm not 100% confident we can win tonight.

All I know is that my gonadotrophins will badly hurt if they lose, and the stress will likely cause me to shit a litre of blood.

So yeah.. I really hope we win.
I know others call me crazy, but this is a must win in my opinion

Lose two straight and drop one at home. In my opinion there is just no coming back from that. I will feel deflated if we lose tonight.

Lose game 6 and we can still win at home in game 7, but DO NOT lose game 5.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
They also got a pretty lucky in their first round matchup. People want to complain about Edmonton getting a weak sauce LA team because they look at the age of the players, but Nashville as soon as they lost Saros was the easiest matchup possible. Good for them though they earned it with their regular season and should have got the easiest opponent.
bad narrative...Playing a 3rd place team in the division isn't a "weak" opponent
playing a team like the Preds or Stars, both teams who back into the playoffs...is a much "weaker" opponent

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I have zero expectations for tonight. But the first goal is monumental.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

Lose two straight and drop one at home. In my opinion there is just no coming back from that. I will feel deflated if we lose tonight.

Didn't LA just come back and win after losing two straight, including the second one at home in humiliating fashion?

I can appreciate the deflated feeling and I'd probably feel similar, but even when the road team wins Game 5 going up 3-2, the home team pulls it off about 25% of the time.

By winning 2 of the first 3 games Edmonton gave themselves some runway that no individual game is a must win until they have lost 3.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

I think Struds put it perfectly. You lose tonight and you give Quick 2 chances to stand on his head and win 1 game.

Not something you really want to do at this point.

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
Any of the confidence I have is that after watching the first 4 games, I feel Edmonton is the better team and that their biggest opponent is themselves. If they come out and play the right way, sticking to their defensive assignments and taking the offensive opportunities as they come, they will win the game. Of that I have little doubt.

We'll get the rest when we sweep Calgary while Colorado gets beat up by Minnesota or St. Louis:sarcasm:
This is why I have a hard time expected they won't blow it. I've said probably a couple dozen times that the Oilers constantly find a way to blast off their own leg when they should be aiming their shotgun at the opposition. See blowing a 3 goal lead to the Jets and Smith's pizza delivery in game 1 this year for quick references.

The Hawks, Jets, and Kings are teams the Oilers can absolutely beat in a series if they don't make incredibly stupid mistakes or play lazy thinking that they don't really need to try... That they can make it past such teams in the playoffs with half an effort. They'll never win anything if they can't put this bad habit behind them!

Last edited:

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Didn't LA just come back and win after losing two straight, including the second one at home in humiliating fashion?

I can appreciate the deflated feeling and I'd probably feel similar, but even when the road team wins Game 5 going up 3-2, the home team pulls it off about 25% of the time.

By winning 2 of the first 3 games Edmonton gave themselves some runway that no individual game is a must win until they have lost 3.
Ya but screw all that shit

Win tonight.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

The Oilers biggest opponent is always themselves. Very rarely do they play a game and lose where you look at it and say "well is what it is, the opposition was just the way better team tonight and outplayed us despite our best effort."

In theory being your own worst enemy should be a good thing because the power is within the team to change it themselves, but when we do it as routinely as we do it is scary because the quality of the opposition almost becomes irrelevant.

It is truly breathtaking how this team does this. I just don't understand how they just collectively decide to take a night off in a playoff game, especially after they were supposed to "learn lessons" after the first game. One thing about this team - they will never learn anything. The demons will always be there and they won't go away, we just have to hope they don't rear their ugly head at the wrong time.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Don't know why so many people are down lol. It's a Best of 7 Series. There are suppose to be ups and downs. I hope not many fans were expecting a 4-1 series win. Kings got blown out twice in a row. Of course they were going to come out hardcore.

I think we will come out strong tonight.

PS am I the only one wishing Yamamoto would stay on McDs line and Jesse be with Leo or RNH?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad